Chapter 48

"What're we doing today?" Draco asked, taking a sip of orange juice.

"I was thinking of going swimming by the lake," Harry said, "it's hot out so the water will be warm enough."

"Ok," Draco nodded, "that'll be fun, either today or tomorrow I would like to go down to the bookstore."

Harry nodded in agreement, "yeah, I would like to see Mrs. Whitley."

The boys changed into swimming trunks and set off down the street with towels and a packed lunch in their arms.

"Summer is the best season," Draco stated, taking in a deep breath.

"Mhm," Harry nodded, he waved to their neighbors, the Johnsons, as they passed.

"I like having neighbors," Draco said suddenly.

"I'm glad," Harry said, snorting.

"No, really, I've never had neighbors before," Draco shook his head, "have you?"

"Yeah," Harry sighed, "but they weren't as friendly as the ones we have here."

"Why not?" Draco frowned.

"My aunt and uncle didn't like me talking to them," Harry said, "everyone thought that I was odd, not the type of person that you would want to associate yourself with. I didn't have any friends before I went to Hogwarts, Ron was my first."

Draco gaped at him, "really? But you're...you're you! Harry Potter, everyone wants to be friends with you!"

Harry gave him a sad smile, "everyone wants to be friends with Harry Potter, not Harry...I'm just Harry."

"Well I'm your friend," Draco said defiantly, "even if you hated me a year ago."

Harry laughed, "thanks, mate."

There was nobody else in sight at the river. For the most part, the river was dirty, however if you walked about a mile down, it opened up into a clear watershed.

"Thank Merlin," Draco groaned, he had been complaining about the heat for the last fifteen minutes. "I'm sweating my arse off!"

The boys had abandoned their shirts about a half mile back and they were hanging around their necks. At the sight of the river opening, they broke out into a run, dropping their towels and kicking off their shoes as they went.

Draco hit the water first, Harry jumping in close behind him.

"It's cold!" Harry squeaked, his teeth beginning to chatter.

"No it's not," Draco rolled his eyes, "you're just a baby."

Harry stuck out his tongue at the blond and swam to a collection of rocks in the center of the river.

"You swim like a four year old, Potter," Draco snorted as he followed the raven headed boy.

"I never really learned how to swim," Harry called back, "just be happy I'm not drowning."

"We're going to have to teach you how to swim," Draco huffed, "your doggy paddle is miserable."

"You are so rude," Harry looked offended, "I like to believe I've mastered the doggy paddle."

"Trust me, you haven't," Draco hauled himself on top of the rock besides Harry. "We'll start with treading and then move onto freestyle."

"Draco, we've swam in this river a million times, you know I can tread water!" Harry shook his head.

"Fine," Draco said, "we'll start out with freestyle then."

"Am I getting it?" Harry asked after a few hours of practice.

"Yeah, for the most part," Draco said, "you still look like a turtle when you breath."

"Gee, thanks," Harry huffed, "let's see you do it then."

"You have to turn your head, you don't want to bring your whole head up out of the water." Draco said, jumping off a rock into the water, "like this, watch." He swam across the river with exaggerated breaths.

"Ok, ok," Harry said, "let me try again. I think I've got it now." He swam from the rock over to Draco.

"Better," Draco nodded, "let's eat lunch."

"I'm starving," Harry agreed, wrapping himself in his towel. He shook his head and water splattered everywhere.

"Harry!" Draco scolded, "you're going to make the sandwiches soggy!"

"Sorry," Harry laughed, sitting down against a tree, he grabbed a sandwich and began eating.

"We should probably head back soon, it's probably around 2 o'clock."

"You're right," Draco said, "we should go home and change and then stop in the bookstore before dinner."

"Sound good," Harry nodded, "we'll go after we eat."

They ate their sandwiches and chips and dried off before putting their shirts back on.

"Ready?" Harry asked, slinging his towel over his shoulder.

"Yeah," Draco sat up and brushed the dirt off his swimming trunks.

They made it back home after a long walk back up the river.

"We're home!" Draco announced, leaving his shoes at the front door. He rushed up the staircase with Harry in tow.

"I get the shower first!" The blond warned.

"No way!" Harry argued, "I'm going first."

Draco shoved Harry away as they both made a break for the bathroom door.

"Haha, I got here first!" Draco teased, slamming the door in Harry's face.

"Prat!" Harry banged on the locked door.

He put a towel on the floor and sat in his wet swimming trunks. Looking over to his bed,  a faint glow caught his eye. The diary! He hurried over and flipped the book open.

Hey Harry! Exams went good! I scored high on all of mine. How'd they go for you? I heard about Sirius Black, you can never stay out of trouble, can you? Things are crazy here, Fred and George are working on new products for their 'joke shop', I think Mums gonna end up murdering them before the end of holiday. I think Ron is still in disbelief that you live with Malfoy and Snape, he hasn't shut up since we got home. I hope I see you soon.
XX Ginny

Harry smiled and picked up his pen.

Ron will get over it sooner or later. Exams went well, I got perfect scores in DADA and Potions. My Birthdays next month, who knows, maybe Snape will let you guys visit. Tell everyone Hi for me, make sure Fred and George don't get killed before I can get some of their products to use on Draco.

He closed the book and put it back on his nightstand. The water was still running in the bathroom, Draco's showers always took ages.

Harry went to go pound on the door to tell him to hurry up but his fist stopped.

He had heard a knock. He couldn't sworn he hadn't knocked on the bathroom door yet.

"Get the door!" Harry heard Snape holler from his study. Harry frowned, the knock must've been the front door.

Snape must be working on a potion if he was asking the boys to get the door. With a groan, Harry stomped down the stairs and opened the door.

"Professor Lupin?" Harry's eyes widened, "what're you doing here?"