Chapter 55

Harry smiled as the familiar fragrance of cinnamon and parchment filled him with joy.

"Harry! How wonderful to see you!" A rosy, old woman rushed over to the young boy.

"Hi, Mrs. Whitely," Harry relished in her warm embrace, "how're you?"

"Good, good, come sit!" She ushered him over to a chair and shoved a tray of biscuits into his hands, "where's Draco today?"

"Sick," Harry said, "he was still sleeping when I left."

"That's too bad," Mrs. Whitely frowned, "tell him I hope he feels better when you go home."

"I will, Mrs. Whitely," Harry nodded, "I can't stay too long, I promised Sirius and Remus that I will be there in an hour."

"Are they the two men that came looking for you about a month ago?" Mrs. Whitely sat across from him.

"Yes," Harry said, "they were best friends with my parents. Remus, the tall one, was my professor last year and Sirius is my godfather."

"Sirius," Mrs. Whitely's nose twitched, "I've heard that name before."

Harry grimaced, he forgot that Sirius was a widely known murderer just a month ago.

"What's his last name?" Mrs. Whitely eyed Harry suspiciously, "why do you look like you've seen a ghost?"

"Sirius Black," Harry sighed.

Mrs. Whitely gasped, "the murderer, Sirius Black?"

"He was proven innocent!" Harry defended, "did you watch the news?"

"Oh, no," she shook her head, "I don't like listening to the news, there's never anything good, it just puts me in a bad mood."

"He had a trial last month," Harry explained, "he was framed, wrongfully imprisoned."

"Can you imagine that?" Mrs. Whitely shuddered, "being locked away for something you didn't do. My Lord, what that must've done to his head."

Harry frowned, what had it done to Sirius's head? The last month he had seemed so happy... so normal. But he had gone through so much, that must've left a mark. Was he just pretending for Harry and Draco? Was he really as ok as he made himself out to be?

"Yeah," Harry said, "I wonder what it did to him."

>•<

Draco groaned and rolled over onto his back.

Sunlight was streaming through the open window and Harry's bed was deserted.

Draco felt terrible, his head was pounding from his unrestful sleep and his insides seemed to be tied in a knot.

Last night, he had found himself in a particularly bad night terror, he was drowning in memories that happened nearly a year ago but still terrified him to his bones. He would never be the same. That fateful day last summer had changed him in ways that could never be undone. The man that was supposed to care and love him unconditionally was the one to harm him in such a way that was branded into his mind for the remainder of his life.

The world spun as Draco stood up.

He paused, closed his eyes and took a deep breath before walking.

"Ah, you're awake," Severus was sitting on the couch.

"What time is it?" Draco yawned, rubbing the bleariness from his eyes.

"Half past noon," Severus smiled, "Harry said to let you sleep."

"I feel like crap," Draco groaned, "do you have anything I can take?"

"In the kitchen," Severus said, "I set them out on the counter."

"Cheers," Draco drowsily made his way into the kitchen.

"Where's Harry," after drinking the potions, Draco felt much better than he had when he woke up.

"He went out a few hours ago," Severus shrugged, "he's probably at Lupin and Black's, he always ends up there."

"You're right," Draco ran his fingers up and down the many books lining the walls of the living room. He stopped when he came to his favorite; Romeo and Juliet.

"When Harry gets home I have something to discuss with the two of you," Snape said.

"Ok," Draco said, settling on an armchair with a blanket, he opened the book and buried his nose in it.

Severus watched him with the trace of amusement on his features.

His godson's love of books had never changed. Severus's walls were filled with the boy's favorite novels from when he was just five to his most recent.

Although it wasn't obvious, Severus made sure the house was stocked with items the boys would need to partake in their hobbies. The items needed for it to feel like a home, whether it treacle tart or glow in the dark stars.

For Draco, there was books, an endless supply of paper for him to use for art, and even a piano. Albeit, Draco hadn't touched the piano since his mother was hospitalized.

For Harry, Severus made sure he had a subscription to a Seeker Weekly. He had put a television up in the boy's room and spent a week cleaning a section of the polluted lake so the boys could swim.

Severus had really been trying his best to make the three's odd dynamic work. For the most part it worked, Harry and Draco were good friends now and the Gryffindor no longer despised the Potion's Master.

Severus Snape was not a perfect role model, he was nowhere near a father.

However he was determined to give the two boys that had fallen into his possession under bad circumstances a better childhood then he had.

A better childhood than his father had given him.

>•<

"Home!" Harry called, untying his shoelaces.

"In here," Draco's voice came from the living room.

"How was your visit with the two dimwits?" Snape asked.

Harry gave him a look, "would it kill you to be nice?"

"I actually think it would," Draco snorted.

"You're reading Romeo and Juliet again?" Harry eyed the book.

"It's a classic!" Draco looked offended.

"It's boring," Harry rolled his eyes.

"Harry, sit, Draco put down the book for a minute," Snape sighed.

Harry gave the man a quizzical look as he lowered himself into a chair.

"What is it?" Draco frowned.

"You two have been here about a year now," Snape said, "nobody's pressed you to discuss what happened last summer, but I think it's time."

"What do you mean?" Harry asked, trying to conceal the panic in his voice.

"I've made you both an appointment with a therapist."