Chapter 81

"Mr. Potter, Mr. Weasley, if you would so kindly pay attention," McGonagall stared daggers at the two boys.

"Sorry," they mumbled, avoiding meeting her eye.

"Now," McGonagall looked away, addressing the class, "I have something to say to you all, the Yule ball is approaching, a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to socialize with our foreign guests. Now, the ball will only be opened to fourth years and above, although you may invite a younger student if you wish..."

Hermione sent Harry a knowing look from across the classroom, Harry blushed and looked down at his hands.

"Dress robes will be worn, the ball will start at precisely 8 o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at Midnight in the Great Hall, now then..." McGonagall gave the class a pointed stare, "the Yule Ball is of course a chance for us all to let our hair down..."

Parvati and Lavender giggled into their hands.

"But, that does not mean," McGonagall gave the two girls an unimpressed glare, "that we will be relaxing the standards of behavior we expect from Hogwarts students. I will be most seriously displeased if a Gryffindor student embarrasses the school in any way."

McGonagall's lecture was ended with the sound of the bell. The sound of everyone packing away their books filled the classroom.

"Potter!" McGonagall called over the noise, "a word if you may."

Harry sighed and defeatedly walked towards the Professor's desk. There was no doubt this was going to be about him and Ron fooling around.

Professor McGonagall didn't say a word until the room was empty besides the two of them.

"Potter, the champions and their partners..."

"What partners?" Harry interrupted, his nose scrunching.

Professor McGonagall looked at him suspiciously, as if she believed he was trying to be funny.

"Your partners for the Yule Ball, Potter," she said as if it were obvious, "your dance partners."

"Dance partners?" Harry's mouth fell open, his cheeks burned red, "I don't dance."

"Oh yes you do," McGonagall said irritably, "that's what I'm telling you, traditionally the champions open the ball."

Harry cringed at the image of himself dancing in front of the whole school, tripping over his feet and looking like a fool.

"I'm not dancing," he protested firmly.

"It's a tradition," McGonagall matched his glare, "you are a Hogwarts champion, and you will do what is expected of you as a representative of this school. So make sure you get yourself a partner, Potter, do I make myself clear?"

"But—I don't—"

"Do I make myself clear?" McGonagall made it very clear there would be no more discussion on this topic.

"Yes, Professor," Harry said begrudgingly.

"Very good, you best be off then," McGonagall shooed him towards the door. "You don't want to be late to your next class."

>•<

"Why do they move in packs?" Harry groaned as a group of giggling girls passed them, "it's near impossible to get one alone to ask them!"

Harry had never seen so many people sign up to remain at Hogwarts for Christmas, almost everyone fourth year and above seemed to be staying. Harry would be going home for Christmas, as he wanted to see his godfather and Remus, however, both him and Draco would be coming back for the Yule Ball, one of the perks of living with a professor.