Chapter 18

Before they knew it, the first quidditch game of the season, Gryffindor vs. Hufflepuff was approaching.

After the incident on Halloween security had tightened, especially around Harry who had to be escorted whenever he left the castle.

The dementors had been restless the last few weeks, making everyone who passed them miserable.

The school was gloomier than usually, sprouts were hoping to be lifted with the Quidditch match however the weather was treacherous.

The day before the match, the howling winds were rattling the castle's windows and it was so dark inside the corridors and classrooms that there had to be extra torches lit to able the students and staff to see.

To make matters worse for Harry, Oliver Wood had been tailing him around the castle for days, lecturing him of strategies and tactics to beat Hufflepuff's new seeker, Cedric Diggory.

The match was all Harry could think about, he managed to get detention from Snape for being late to Defense Against the Dark Arts due to Wood's rambling, Harry had expected Lupin to be there and let him off easy.

However, that was not the case. Snape was filling in for Lupin and gave Harry a disapproving glance, detention, and 10 points from Gryffindor due to his tardiness.

"Where's Professor Lupin?" Harry said, frozen in place.

"He says he is feeling too ill to teach today," said Snape. "I believe I told you to sit down?"

"What's wrong with him?"

Snape's black eyes glittered.

"Nothing life-threatening," he said, to Harry's confusion, looking as though he wished it were. "Five more points from Gryffindor, and if I have to ask you to sit down again, it will be fifty."

Harry walked slowly to his seat and sat down. Snape looked around at the class.

"As I was saying before Mr. Potter interrupted, Professor Lupin has not left any record of the topics you have covered so far..."

"Please, sir, we've done Boggarts, Red Caps, Kappas, and Grindylows," said Hermione quickly, "and we're just about to start..."

"Be quiet," said Snape coldly. "I did not ask for information. I was merely commenting on Professor Lupin's lack of organization. "

"He's the best Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher we've ever had," said Dean Thomas boldly, and there was a murmur of agreement from the rest of the class. Snape looked more menacing than ever.

"You are easily satisfied. Lupin is hardly overtaxing you I would expect first years to be able to deal with Red Caps and Grindylows. Today we shall discuss", Harry watched him flick through the textbook, to the very back chapter, which he must know they hadn't covered.

"-werewolves," said Snape.

"But, sir," said Hermione, seemingly unable to restrain herself, "we're not supposed to do werewolves yet, we're due to start Hinkypunks..."

"Miss Granger," said Snape in a voice of deadly calm, "I was under the impression that I am teaching this lesson, not you. And I am telling you all to turn to page 394. " He glanced around again. "All of you! Now!"

Harry was snapped into harsh reality as the Snape he knew from school replaced the one he knew personally.

He was well aware that the man wasn't kind and nurturing in nature but this was just cruel. What did he have against Professor Lupin?