Chapter 42

"Why isn't he awake yet?"

"Severus, relax, he'll be fine, he just needs to rest."

"Those creatures should've never been stationed at Hogwarts."

"No, they shouldn't have, but that's no matter now. Why don't you have Poppy attend to that nasty gash on your head."

"No, I'm quite alright."

"Ok, if you'll excuse me, I have a matter to attend to, I'll be back in a little whiles."

"Good evening men, a terrible night I'm afraid," a new man sighed, "it's a miracle none of them died, it was lucky you found them when you did Snape."

Harry laid motionless as he listened intently to the conversation around him. He had identified Dumbledore and Snape and the new voice as the Minister. His eyes were tightly closed, his head was pounding and his legs felt like lead.

"Tell me again what happened Mr. Snape, I need to file an official report before we can proceed."

"I do apologize, Minister, but if you don't mind, I would like to wait until Mr. Potter wakes to give an official statement," Snape said, moving from his place beside Harry.

Fudge gave a sigh, "if you insist, Snape, but we cannot wait much longer."

"I understand, Minister, thank you."

With a huge effort, Harry opened his eyes. Everything was blurry, someone had removed his glasses while he was asleep. At the end of the dark ward, he could make out Madam Pomfrey bent over a patient with red hair. Harry moved his head on his pillow and saw Hermione on the bed to his right, her eyes were wide and she gestured for him to keep quiet. He heard voices again, quieter and further away than before, he looked back the other way and saw they had stepped out into the corridor.

His ears recognized the sound of Madam Pomfrey's heels clicking on the tile. She was walking towards them. He turned to watch her and saw the largest chunk of chocolate in her arms.

"Oh! You're awake," she hurried over and placed the chocolate on Harry's bedside table, breaking it apart with a hammer.

"How's Ron?" Harry and Hermione asked at the same time.

"He'll live," Madam Pomfrey said grimly, "as for you two, you'll be staying here until I'm completely satisfied—Mr. Potter, what are you doing?"

Harry had sat up, grabbed his glasses and kicked the blankets off his legs.

"I need to see the Headmaster," he said defiantly.

"Potter," said Madam Pomfrey soothingly, "it's all right. They've got Black, He's been locked away upstairs, the Dementors will be preforming the kiss any moment—"

"WHAT!"

Harry had sprung out of bed; Hermione had as well. But his shout had been heard out in the corridor and Snape and Fudge had entered the ward.

"Harry, Harry, what is the meaning of this," Fudge looked agitated.

"Harry Potter, you're unwell, get back in bed." Snape frowned.

"No! I won't! Sirius Black is innocent! You've got the wrong man!" Harry cried.

"Sirius Black is a dangerous criminal, you are very lucky you escaped your encounter alive." Fudge lectured, he turned to Madam Pomfrey. "Has he had chocolate yet?"

"Minister, listen," Harry said anxiously, "you've got the wrong man! Peter Pettigrew faked his own death, we saw him tonight! Sirius is innocent! You can't let the Dementors do that thing to him! You can't!"

"Harry, you're very confused, you've been through a dreadful ordeal," the Minister shook his head, "lie down now, we've got everything under control."

"No. You don't," Hermione frowned, "you have got the wrong man. If you would listen, Minister, I saw him too, Pettigrew is alive. He was posing as Ron's rat, he's an Animagus."

Fudge studied Harry and Hermione with a stumped look, "Confunded, maybe?" he muttered under his breath.

"We're not Confunded!" Harry yelled, growing more and more frustrated by the second.

Madam Pomfrey put her foot down, "Minister, Professor, I do apologize but I'm going to have to ask you to leave. My patients are obviously in distress and—"

"I am not in distress!" Harry interrupted, "If they'd just listen—"

Madam Pomfrey shoved a chunk of chocolate into Harry's mouth. He choked and she took the opportunity to seize him under the arms and heave him back onto his bed.

"Harry," Snape said, "you need to calm down, just get some rest." He turned to the Minister, "I think it best if we step outside, I'm fully capable of giving a report as these two are obviously not in sound mind."

Harry huffed and went to speak but Madam Pomfrey cut him off with more chocolate.

"That would be best," she gave them a tight smile, "Now, please, Minister, these children need care."

Snape and Fudge filed out of the Hospital Ward but as they were going out the door, Dumbledore came through it.