Chapter 86

"Calm down," Ginny squeezed Harry's hand, "you look miserable."

"Sorry," Harry mumbled as they began to walk forward, "I don't like all the attention."

"I know," Ginny whispered, "pretend nobody's here, it's just us."

Harry nodded, taking a deep breath before they walked through the doors to the Great Hall. 

The students broke out into applause as the champions paraded towards a large table where the judges were seated.

Ginny swore under her breath and looked down at her feet.

"What's wrong?" Harry looked over at her.

"Up there," she nodded her head towards the judge's table.

Taking the Minister's position was none other than Percy Weasley.

"He's going to tell mum about my dress," Ginny said miserably.

Harry looked at her in confusion, "what's wrong with it? I think you look brilliant!"

Ginny snorted, a blush growing across her cheeks.

Upon realizing what he blurted out, rather loudly, Harry's ears burned.

"This isn't the dress she sent," Ginny explained, "it's a little more...scandalous, than the one she had chosen."

They got to the judges table and Percy immediately gestured for the pair to sit, eyeing Ginny's dress wearily.

"That's the dress mother picked out for you?" He reached out to pull up on the strap of her dress.

"Percy!" Ginny whined, "shove off!" She slapped his arm away from her dress.

"So..." Harry interrupted, "what's new, Percy?"

"I've been promoted," Percy said smugly, "I'm not Mr. Crouch's personal assistant, and I'm here representing him."

"Why didn't he come?" Harry asked flatly.

"I'm afraid to say Mr. Crouch isn't well, not at all. Hasn't been right since the World Cup. Hardly surprising—overwork. He's not as young as he once was—though still quite brillian..."

"Merlin, Percy," Ginny rolled her eyes, "we don't give a damn about Mr. Crouch."

Percy glared at her, an in return, she stuck out her tongue.

"If you must know," Percy scoffed, "Mr. Crouch knows he can rely on me, he's grooming me to be the next Minister."

"Yeah, right," Ginny snorted, "tell me Perce, has he learned your name yet? Or is he still calling you Weatherby?"

"Alright, alright," Harry sighed, "that's enough," he grabbed the menu off the golden plate and shoved it into Ginny's arms, "here you go."

"There are no waiters," she whispered, "how're we supposed to order?"

Harry looked around and frowned, there were no waiters to be found.

"Porkchops!" Dumbledore yelled into his golden plate a ways down the table, and porkchops appeared.

Getting the memo, the rest of the table began shouting things into their glittering dishes.

Harry looked over to see how Hermione reacted to the new way of dining, with her kick on S.P.E.W., Harry didn't believe she would take the situation well.

However, in contrast to Harry's guess, Hermione didn't seem bothered, instead she was laughing maniacally with Viktor Krum, hardly seeming to realize what she was eating.

"She looks happy," Ginny grinned, "Viktor Krum, who would've known?"

"Veil, ve have a castle also, not as big as this, nor as comfortable, I am thinking," he said to Hermione, "Ve have just four floors, and the fires are only lit for magical purposes. But ve have grounds even larger than these—though in the vinter, ve have very little daylight, so ve aren't enjoying them. But in the summer ve are flying every day, over the lakes and the mountain—"

"Now, now, Viktor!" Karkaroff laughed, "don't go giving away anything else, now, or your charming friend will know exactly where to find us!"

"Ridiculous," Ginny drew Harry's attention from the table's conversation, "all the secrecy with him, I wonder what their hiding on their grounds."

"I don't think I'd want to know," Harry chuckled.

"Right," Ginny laughed into her hands.

After a very dysfunctional conversation and Viktor Krum poorly pronouncing Hermione's name, the Weird Sisters climbed onto the stage and applause boomed in the hall.

"That's us," Ginny grinned nervously.

Harry stood from his chair, offering his hand, "Ginny Weasley...would you like to dance?"

Ginny grabbed his hand and let him help her from her chair.

They followed the other champions onto the brightly-lit dance floor.

Taking their positions, Harry wrapped an arm around her waist as she delicately lowered her hand onto his shoulder. Their other hands were grasped tightly. They made eye contact and immediately shook with silent laughter.

The band struck up a slow, mournful tune and Harry and Ginny began to move with the music.

Other couples were quick to join the champions on the dance floor.

Draco spun Luna in her pink dress covered with butterflies. Her long, blonde hair was tied up in a bun, and large, pink orb earrings hung from her ears.

"Neville and Parvati seem to be enjoying themselves," Ginny smiled fondly as the blond waltzed passed them.

"Ron and Padme don't," Harry gestured over to the ginger.

Ron looked petrified as he awkwardly danced with a clearly annoyed Padma, the dark velvet and ruffles of his robes horribly clashing with her bright turquoise dress.

"I can't believe he actually wore those dress robes!" Ginny was laughing so hard, she had to rest her forehead in Harry's shoulder to catch her breath.

"I know," Harry laughed along with her, "they're hideous."

"Oh!" Ginny looked up at Harry, her chocolate eyes wide, "I never thanked you for my Christmas gift!" She removed her hand from his chest, pushing her long, fiery hair behind her shoulders. A thin, silver chain hung across her collarbones, a light green stone rested on her chest, right over the neckline of her dress, "it's lovely."

Harry smiled, "it's your birthstone," he said softly, "to be honest, it was Draco's idea, I'm not the best at presents...after all, I did give you a diary after you nearly got killed by a one."

Ginny snorted, "I love that book, Harry! It's different, Tom Riddle's diary was a place where I vented everything, he was manipulative and used my words against me. The book you gave me gives me a way to communicate with someone I trust whenever I need it," she smiled at him, "it was a thoughtful gift, nothing like the diary."

Harry grinned, feeling regret leave his shoulders, recently he had been feeling guilty about that gift, not knowing if it had caused Ginny any grief.

"All that's in the past," Ginny pulled away as a faster song began to play, "tonight is about us."

"You're right," Harry grabbed one of her hands and spun her around, "come on, I want to dance."