Chapter 41

"Merlin, he was really getting on my nerves," Harry sighed as Peter's body fell motionless to the ground with a 'thud'.

Four pairs of eyes looked at the boy, stunned.

"Harry!" Lupin breathed, staring at Pettigrew's body and back to the young boy.

"Oh, honestly," Harry rolled his eyes, "you weren't really going to kill him were you?"

"I was going to do more then kill him!" Sirius growled, looking annoyed.

Harry let out a dry laugh, "you can't just kill him."

"And why the bloody hell not!" Sirius exclaimed. 

"We're going to bring him to the castle, he will be sent to Azkaban and your name will be cleared," Harry stated the obvious, "you can't do any of that if he's dead, you'll just be sent to Azkaban for murder!Again!"

Sirius's face twisted in thought before relaxing, "that just might work," he smiled, "I can be free again."

An awkward silence hung in the air.

"Alright then!" Lupin was suddenly business-like, "Ron, I can't mend bones as well as Madam Pomfrey, so I think it's best that we just strap up your leg until we can get to the hospital wing." He hurried over to Ron, bent down, tapped Ron's leg with his wand and muttered 'Ferula'. Bandages sprung up Ron's leg, strapping it tightly to a splint.

Lupin helped him to his feet, Ron put his weight gingerly on the leg and didn't wince.

"That's better," he said, "thanks."

Harry stepped over Peter's unconscious body and hurried over to Severus Snape who still lied motionless on the ground. He bent down besides the Professor and checked his pulse.

"He's fine," Lupin smiled softly at Harry, "Hermione was just a little too eager."

"Sorry," Hermione winced.

"Who cares," Ron laughed, "nobody likes him anyways."

"I'm sorry for any trouble this will bring you, Harry," Lupin rubbed his neck, apologetically.

"Why would Harry get into trouble?" Ron asked, "term ends in a couple days, I doubt we'll even get detentions."

"Harry," Hermione started with a curious look on her face, "about what you said earlier, about being in trouble, what did you mean?"

Lupin's eyes grew wide with shock and he turned to Harry, "they don't know?!"

"What don't we know," Ron frowned.

"No," Harry sighed, "no, they don't know."

"Can someone fill me in?" Sirius Black looked annoyed.

Lupin gave Harry an encouraging nod. Harry shook his head uncertainty.

"Their your friends, Harry, you can tell them." Lupin smiled.

"Well, uh..." Harry was unsure where to start. "Something happened last summer, and, er... I don't live with the Dursley's anymore."

Hermione gasped, realization showing on her face.

"What's that gotta do with Snape?" Asked Ron.

"Harry lives with him," Hermione whispered. "Harry! Why didn't you tell us."

"Yeah, mate, we could've gotten you out! You could come stay with me, Mum won't mind." Ron said.

"Or me," Sirius offered, "when all this is over of course, I am your godfather after all."

Harry shook his head slightly. "For once I have a home, I have a family, no matter how odd it may be. I'm staying with him because I want to."

"But, Harry!" Ron looked mortified.

"No, Ron," Harry shot him a glare, "I've made up my mind, you can't change it."

"That's why you've been so different since you returned from holiday!" Hermione gasped. "I can't believe I didn't figure it out before! It's so obvious!"

"We'll discuss it later," Harry stood up, "right now we need to get Pettigrew to the castle."

"Harry's right," Lupin said, "the sooner we get there the better, it may be best that we don't revive Severus until we're safely inside."

Harry nodded in agreement.

Lupin muttered 'Mobilicorpus', invisible strings pulled Snape and Pettigrew to a standing position by their wrists, neck and knees. Their heads lolled on their chests and they looked like puppets. Harry, Ron and Hermione cringed at the sight. Black secured heavy handcuffs around Pettigrew's wrists for safe measure.

Crookshanks jumped off the bed and lead the way out of the dusty room.

"Wands out, stay alert, if anything happens, you three run," Sirius Black warned.

Harry Ron and Hermione stood in between Lupin and Black with Pettigrew and Snape trailing behind them in the air. They all walked in silence until they got to the end of the passage.