Chapter 33

The school year was passing by quickly. Harry was getting much better at the Patronus charm through his lessons with Professor Lupin. Ron and Hermione had finally made up and Wood had the Gryffindor Quidditch team working harder than ever.

With the Quidditch final approaching, Oliver was getting more and more anxious, after all this was his last shot at winning the Quidditch Cup before he graduated.

Harry was excited for this year's final, it was Gryffindor vs. Slytherin. Draco and Harry had been butting heads over who's the better seeker for ages, the final would determine who actually was superior.

They decided that whoever catches the snitch's, chores would be covered by the other for an entire month when the school year was over.

Harry woke with a start the night before the match. He had gotten up for a glass of water after a weird dream.

Walking back to his bed, something out the window caught his eye. He leaned closer to the glass pane and squinted to get a better look. He couldn't make the figure out clearly so he sprinted to his bedside table grabbed his glasses and ran back.

He hoped it wasn't the Grim, not now, not today right before his match.

After a minute of frantic searching he spotted it again, on the edge of the forest, Harry let out a breath of air he didn't know he was holding as he realized that it was not the Grim but instead a cat.

Harry clutched the window ledge in relief as he recognized the bottle-brush tail, it was Hermione's cat, Crookshanks. Or was it? He pressed his nose up against the glass, Crookshanks had come to a stop and Harry thought he saw something else move in the trees.

A giant, shaggy, black dog emerged from the forest, moving across the lawn with Crookshanks in tow. The Grim. But it couldn't be the Grim could it? If Crookshanks could see it as well then it must not be an omen of Harry's death. Right? 

"Ron," Harry hissed, kicking his bunk, "get up."

"Huh?" Flaming red hair poked out of the curtains.

"Come here, quick," Harry waved him over.

Grumbling, Ron clambered over to the window.

"I need you to tell me if you see something." Harry pointed out the window.

"It's dark." Ron observed.

Harry rolled his eyes, "obviously." 

"I don't see anything." Ron said.

"What do you mean?" Harry looked back out the window, "they're right..." the dog and Crookshanks were nowhere to be found.

Ron stalked away and Harry knew he fell asleep by the snores coming from his bunk.

After one last glance out the window, Harry decided to go back to bed as well.

>•<

The Gryffindor and Slytherin teams walked onto the Quidditch pitch to a tidal wave of noise.

The entire school was present in the stands, the majority of them sporting scarlet and gold.

Draco met Harry's eyes from across the field, giving him a nod, Harry smirked back and mouthed 'good luck'.

"Welcome to the Quidditch Final!" Lee Jordan's voice boomed over the crowd. "Here are our Gryffindors; Potter, Bell, Spinnet, Weasley, Weasley , Johnson and captain; 7th year Oliver Wood! And our Slytherins! Malfoy, Derrick, Bole, Montague, Pucey, Bletchley and Captain Marcus Flint! He's made some changes to the lineup and seems to be going for size rather than skill..." there were boos from the Slytherin section however, Harry had to admit Lee had a point, Draco was easily the smallest one on the team.

"Captains shake hands!" Madam Hooch called Wood and Flint to the center of the pitch. The two boys clasped hands and seemed to squeeze as hard as they could, from where Harry stood it looked like they were trying to break the other's fingers.

"Mount your brooms!"
Draco and Harry both swung their right legs over and clutched their brooms tight, ready to take off. "3....2....1" Madam Hooch blew her whistle and 14 players shot to the air. Harry and Draco circled the pitch as Lee commentated what was going on feet below.

"Scared Potter?" Malfoy bumped Harry's broom.

"You wish." Harry grinned and dropped into a steep dive. He pulled up a few feet later and Draco struggled to stay on his tail.

"Gryffindor Scores! 10-0!" Lee announced. "Nice shot by Angelina Johnson!"

Harry cheered and watched as Marcus Flint came barreling through the Gryffindor chaser, Angelina struggled to stay on her broom.

"Sorry, didn't see her," Flint yelled as the crowd booed.

Fred threw his bat at the back of the Slytherin Captain's head and Flints nose smashed into the front of his broom and began to bleed.

Madam Hooch came soaring up, calling a penalty for both Gryffindor and Slytherin.

Gryffindor was up 30-0, Harry and Draco still hovered over the match, looking out for the golden snitch. Harry knew he couldn't catch the snitch until Gryffindor was up at least 50 points if they wanted to surpass Slytherin and win the cup.

Harry saw a glint of gold near the Gryffindor goal posts, however the score was still 30-0. Hoping Malfoy hadn't seen it yet, Harry went shooting towards the Slytherin side of the pitch, it worked, Draco chased Harry clearly thinking the snitch was over there.

WHOOSH, a Bludger flew past Harry's ear, Hit by Derrick.

WHOOSH, the other Bludger hit Harry's elbow. Harry looked around him to see both Bole and Derrick closing in on him, bats raised. Harry pulled up with a second to spare and the two Slytherin Beaters collided with a sickening crack.

However, Harry didn't have any time to laugh for Marcus Flint smashed into Harry's broom, bucking the small boy off and sending him free falling from many stories up.

The crowd let out a gasp as Harry gained speed, the ground rapidly getting closer. Harry squeezed his eyes shut but arms grabbed his uniform and hauled him onto a broom.

"You ok, Harry?" A concerned looking Draco flew back up to Harry's Firebolt.

"Yeah, thanks, Mate." Harry breathed, grabbing his own broom and flinging himself onto it. 

"Gryffindor penalty!" Madam Hooch screeched.

This was turning out to be the dirtiest game Harry had ever played in. The Slytherins, mad that Gryffindor had an early lead were resorting to any means to take the Quaffle.

Draco and Harry circled the pitch, 40-0, 40-10, 50-10, 50-20, 60-20, 70-20.

Gryffindor was 50 points up, if Harry caught the snitch it would have to be now. He increased his speed, scanning the entire field for the small golden ball... and then he saw it. 20 feet over his head the golden snitch glittered.

Harry and Draco saw the ball at the same time, they both sped up, arms outstretched and determination written on their features. The boys were flying at each other, set to crash but the only thing that mattered was the snitch in between them. Draco's fingers brushed against the metal ball and it fluttered downwards.

There was no time not space for either Harry or Draco to pull into a dive and they collided headfirst.

"Ow," Draco groaned, rubbing his forehead.

The two boys glanced at each other and broke out in laughter. They both apologized and continued around the pitch.

Harry watched the play that was happening below. Angelina had possession of the Quaffle and was streaking towards the goalposts. The entire Slytherin team, excluding Malfoy, tailed Angelina in a deliberate attempt to block her.

Harry flattened against his broom and shot towards the Slytherin team like a bullet. He went flying at them, causing them all to scatter, clearing a path for Angelina to take a shot.

"And she scores! Gryffindor up 80-20!" Lee yells.

Harry's smile was soon broken as he saw Draco in a dive, a look of triumph on his face and the golden snitch hovering over the grass a few feet below.

Harry urged his Firebolt down but Draco was miles ahead.

"Go, go, go!" Harry urged his broom, he was gaining on the blonde.

Harry pressed his body flat against the wooden handle as a Bludger whizzed by.

He was at Malfoy's ankles, they were level.

He threw himself forwards, taking both hands off his broom, knocking Draco's arm out of the way and... Yes!

Harry and Draco both tumbled on the grass. Harry stood up, holding the golden snitch in the air and the stadium erupted in cheers.

Before joining his team in celebration. Harry held out his hand to help Draco up. The Slytherin rose to his feet and brushed off his robes.

"Good game." Harry offered.

"Yeah, good game, Potter." Draco held out his hand. Harry took it they shook hands in front of the whole school. 

"You're doing my chores." Harry laughed.

Draco gave him a death glare, "go join your team" he grumbled, waving Harry off.

Wood was speeding towards Harry. He threw himself onto the younger boy and sobbed into his shoulder. Harry felt two large thumps as Fred and George hit them. Then Angelina, Alicia and Katie's voices chanting 'We've won the cup! We've won the cup!'

Tangled together in a many armed hug, the Gryffindor Quidditch team rejoiced in their victory.

Waves of crimson supporters were pouring over the barriers of the pitch. Harry and the rest of the team were hoisted up onto the crowds shoulders.

Thrust into the light, Harry spotted Hagrid adorned in both red and green.

"You've done it Harry! Yeh beat em! Wait till I tell Bucky."

Then there was Percy, all dignity abandoned, jumping up and down like a maniac.

Professor McGonagall was sobbing even worse than Wood, she was wiping her eyes with a huge Gryffindor flag.

Fighting their way towards Harry was Ron and Hermione, they didn't say anything, just beamed at Harry. The crowd moved Harry and the others towards the stands where Dumbledore was waiting with the enormous Quidditch Cup.

Harry felt pure joy as a sobbing Oliver Wood passed him the Cup, a huge grin visible through his tears.

Harry was certain, at that moment he could've casted the world's best Patronus.