Chapter 51

"Mum?" Draco covered Narcissa's cold, white hand with his own.

The only sign that she had heard him was the slight tilt of her head in his direction.

"School's over, my birthday passed," he let out a heavy sigh, "I wish you were better, Mum, one day I'll find a cure for you, I promise." He let his fingers squeeze her limp hand.

Severus and Harry had gone to grab them lunch a half-hour ago, Draco knew that was just an excuse to let him have some time with his mother.

"I love you, Mum," Draco brushed back a strand of blonde hair from her forehead.
He stood up and fixed her blankets, just the way she used to do for him when he was younger.

Giving her a kiss on the forehead and a sad smile, Draco left the Janus Thickey Ward.

>•<

Severus and Harry were waiting in the chairs at the entrance to the ward.

Upon seeing Draco, the rose from their seats.

"Ready to go?" Severus asked, Draco nodded.

Harry held out a wrapped sandwich for the blond to take before they began heading towards the exit.

"Did either of you want to have friends over for your birthdays?" Snape asked as they got home, "Draco I know your birthday already passed but I had thought we should celebrate it properly. I'm thinking July 15th?"

"Really?" Harry asked with bright eyes, "they can come here?"

"Yes, Harry," Snape sighed, "but that doesn't mean you can act like an idiot. The rules still remain."

"Brilliant," Draco grinned.

"However, only people that already know about our living situation can come, there's no need to inform more people. That will just put us in a more risky position."

Draco's smile faltered, but only for a second, the only friend of his that knew was Blaise.

"Thank you," Harry gave a genuine smile, he was greatly looking forward to seeing his friends. He would only be able to invite Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and Neville for they were the only ones who knew.

"Come," Snape gestured for them to follow him, "we're going to do a lesson today."

Both boys walked at his heels, eager to get into the lab.

Unlike the lessons at school, Snape's lessons at home were enjoyable and Harry and Draco always looked forward to them.

"Today we're brewing Draught of Peace," Snape said, taking his seat behind his desk. Draco and Harry had separate tables in front of the Potions Master.

The room's setup was very similar to the Potions Classroom in Hogwarts, the only main difference was the lack of desks and the sunlight streaming through the windows.

"Draught of Peace is an O.W.L level potion, I do not expect you two to brew a perfect batch on your first attempt. However, you must pay attention to what you are doing, if you are heavy-handed with ingredients, it can cause your potion to put the drinker into a long or irreversible sleep." He turned and began to write the instructions on the board, "this potion is commonly used to relieve anxiety, if brewed correctly, it will emit a silvery vapor."

Harry took a second to scan the instructions,

1.) Add powdered moonstone until the potion turns green

2.) Stir until the potion turns blue

3.) Add powdered moonstone until the potion turns purple

4.) Allow to simmer until potion turns pink

5.) Add syrup of helleborne until potion turns turquoise

6.) Allow to simmer until potion turns purple

7.) Shake powdered porcupine quills vigorously until they are ready and then add until the potion turns red