Chapter 79

I went back to school, updates will be slower. I am absolutely swamped with work at the moment. Please be patient with me, I'm trying to find as much time to write as I can. I love you guys!

>•<

"Dragons, honestly," Madam Pomfrey shook her head as she treated Harry's arm. "Last year Dementors, this year dragons... what's next... you're very lucky Potter, it's quite shallow...it'll need cleaning before I heal it up though."

She pulled out a little of purple goo and rubbed it on Harry's shoulder. He flinched and yanked his arm away at the sting.

"Oh, honestly," she huffed, "it doesn't stink that bad," she prodded his wound with her wand and he instantly felt relief as his wound closed.

"Your score should be up any minute now, Harry," Snape said, "and your friends are outside."

Harry nodded and stood from his chair, shaking his arm to make sure it was completely healed.

"He should really sit for a minute, Severus," Madam Pomfrey looked disapprovingly at the Potion's Master.

"He'll be fine, Poppy," Severus told the medi-witch, guiding Harry out of the medical tent.

"Harry!"

Neville, Luna, Draco, Hermione and Ron were looking at him, wide grins on their faces.

"Harry! You were brilliant!" Hermione fling her arms around his neck, "absolutely amazing!"

Harry didn't pay attention to her words, his attention was on Ron, who's freckled-face was ghastly white. He shifted uncomfortably under Harry's gaze.

"Uh—listen, Harry," he said very seriously, "whoever put your name in the Goblet! I reckon they're mighty mad right now."

"Took you a bloody long time to catch on," Harry shot coldly.

The small group was silent as they looked between the two boys uncertainly.

Harry knew Ron was about to apologize, but he also knew he didn't want to hear it.

"It's ok," Harry said briefly, "forget about it."

"No," Ron started, "I should've..."

"Forget it." Harry said a bit more forcefully.

"Well!" Ginny drew the attention to herself, "Harry! Your flying! You were easily the best one."

"Yes," Neville nodded eagerly, "you were also the quickest."

"I liked the dog," Luna said offhandedly.

Harry must've had a confused expression on his face, for Draco explained the blonde's statement.

"Diggory transformed a rock into a dog to distract his dragon."

"Did it work?" Harry asked.

"Not really," Ginny cringed.

Harry's face scrunched and he tried to wipe the images from his mind.

"It looks like they're getting ready to put up your score, Harry," Ron gestured to where the judges were sitting, "it's out of ten from each one."

Madam Maxine was the first to raise her wand, a silver stream came out of the top, forming itself into a figure eight.

"Not bad!" Draco clapped Harry on the back.

Mr. Crouch was next, a nine came out of his wand.

"Harry! I think you might win!" Neville gasped.

Harry turned to glance back at Snape, McGonagall and Hagrid who were a couple paces behind them.

Hagrid gave a big smile and thumbs up, McGonagall's face shone with pride as she spotted Harry's gaze and Snape didn't even notice Harry looking at him, his eyebrows were furrowed anxiously as he watched the judges intently.

All the sudden a gasp and loud cheers broke out from the stands.

Harry's head snapped back to the judges, spotting a silver 10 floating over Ludo Bagman's wand.

"Ten?" Harry gasped, "but I got hurt..."

"Don't complain about it, Harry!" Ginny jumped in place, "he gave you a perfect score!"

Karkaroff raised his wand before the cheers even died down and a number four came out of his wand.

"Four!" Ron roared, "four!?"

"You gave Krum a 10 you...you ..." Hermione's face was red as she glared at the Dumstrang Headmaster.

Harry, however, was not phased, a one could've came out of Karkaroff's wand and he wouldn't have cared in the slightest. He did it, he survived the first task.

"You're tied for first with Krum," Luna gently tapped Harry on the shoulder, "congratulations, Harry." She pulled him into a quick hug.

"Thanks, Luna," Harry whispered.

Harry felt amazing as he waited to go back to the castle, he was surrounded by the people who cared about him, it was the best feeling in the world. He listened to Ginny's excited chatter as they waited for the stands to empty, admiring the little details he noticed about her like how her she used her hands and facial expressions to emphasize her thoughts and how she never stood still when she spoke.

"You should've seen everyone's faces when you got your broom, Harry!" She walked with a small jump in her steps, "it was bloody brilliant! Absolutely amazing!"

"Thanks, Gin," Harry gave her a fond smile. It took all his restraint to keep from tucking a strand of orange hair out of her face.

Ginny smiled back, her chocolate eyes glowing. Harry noticed small specs of gold in her eyes, they matched the freckles that were splattered on the bridge of her nose.

Harry watched as Ginny's gaze fell past him.

"Charlie!" She gasped, running over to her older brother.

"Hey, guys," Charlie smiled, wrapping his sister into a bear hug, "I can't stay long, but I thought I'd come over to say hi, you did brilliant, Harry, I've gotta send word to Mum, I promised I'd tell her what happened, but you were unbelievable! Oh yeah, and they told me to tell you you've gotta hang around for a few more minutes, Bagman wants a word in the champion's tent."

Harry and Draco, who said he'd wait, walked back towards the tent as the rest of them began walking back to the castle.

Harry was the first one in the tent, Krum, Fleur and Cedric all arrived together.

"Good one, Harry," Cedric grinned as he passed the younger boy.

"You too," Harry grinned back.

"Well done, all of you!" Bagman looked pleased as he entered the tent, "just a few words before I let you lot go. You've got a nice long break, the next task isn't until half-past-nine on the morning of February the twenty-fourth...however! We are giving you something to think about in the meantime, if you look down at those golden eggs you're holding, you'll see that they open, see the hinges? Ah...Mr. Krum, I wouldn't open it here. You all need to solve the clue inside egg, it'll tell you what the second task is and help you prepare for it! All clear? Sure? Well off you go then! Congratulations to all of you!"

Harry rejoined Draco outside the tent and they started back to the castle, Draco telling Harry all about the other champion's strategies in detail.

"Harry!" Rita Skeeter, adorned in bright, green robes hurried towards the pair, "Harry! Congratulations! I was wondering if you could give me a quick word, your feelings on the task now that's it's over, or..." her gaze fell on Draco, and her eyes widened slightly "your relationship with young Mr. Malfoy, perhaps?"

"Yeah, you can have a word," Harry said savagely, "goodbye."

He continued walking, Draco at his side, leaving the reporter dumb-shocked where she stood.