Chapter 29

"I just don't know what's up with him Gin? It definitely has to do with Malfoy. Gosh I hope he isn't planning anything stupid." Hermione groaned as she and Ginny were studying in the library.

"I'm not sure Hermione," Ginny giggled, "Maybe Malfoy and Harry are seeing each other." She hid her laughs behind her Herbology textbook.

"No, you really think so? Well I guess we shouldn't rule that out it would make sense." Hermione tapped her quill on her parchment. "I never pinned Harry as gay though. Even if he was, it what reality would he go after Malfoy?"

Ginny couldn't help herself, she fell out of her chair, gasping for breaths between her hysterical laughing. She wiped the tears out of her eyes and sat back up after a while. Hermione was looking at her strangely.

"Do you know something I don't?" She inquired. Ginny froze, teasing was all fun and games but she didn't think Hermione would actually suspect her.

"Of course not." Ginny lied flawlessly. Unlike Harry, Ginny Weasley was a talented lier, she did grow up with Fred and George after all.

"Sorry," Hermione apologized, "this is just driving me mental. I think I'm going to turn in for the night."

"Ok, I'm going to stay to finish my Herbology essay." Ginny said as the brunette packed up her belongings.

Hermione left, leaving Ginny alone in the library, the ginger shifted to get comfortable in her seat and began reading a section out of the book. She enjoyed Herbology but she couldn't stand writing essays.

"Good evening Ginevra."
Ginny sighed as Draco Malfoy sat across from her.

"Hey, Draco." She put her unfinished essay in her textbook to hold the page and closed the book. "What's up."

"I came here to escape the stares." The blond sighed, bags evident under his eyes.

"Is it really that bad?" Ginny asked, looking at the boy with concern. A year ago she would be laughing at his disheveled state but the boy had been nothing but nice to her since the beginning of the year.

"In Slytherin, demotion of rank is a huge deal. Since my father is now in Azkaban, his reputation has been damaged, therefore mine as well. I've practically been disowned from my own house."

Ginny frowned, "Aren't Slytherins all about loyalty to their group?"

Draco nodded, "it is known for Slytherins to be loyal to the cliches, and I'm not saying everyone there has turned on me, my actual friends like Zabini are still with me. However it's loyalty to the individual over the group. Slytherins put themselves first."

"And you?" Ginny asked.

"My family comes first?" Draco admitted.

"Your parents?" Ginny confirmed.

Draco shook his head, "My mother, godfather, Blaise and Harry. 

Ginny tried but evidently failed to hide the shock on her face. She never expected Harry to be included in Malfoy's close circle.

"Don't look so surprised, Weasley," Draco said annoyed, "I've lived with Harry for nearly 6 months now. Yes, he is an insufferable Git, and an airhead the majority of the time. We argue constantly, but he's like my brother. If only I could makeup for our past."

Ginny just sat there, her mouth agape. She knew Harry and Draco were friends, hell she even knew they were pretty close. She just assumed this had been forced since they lived together. However after Draco's confession she truly understood. Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy really were just like brothers.

>•<

Harry tied his shoes and grabbed his invisibility cloak before heading out.

It was nearing curfew so he may need to use his cloak to conceal him returning to the castle.

That is if, Dementors can't see through invisibility cloaks. Harry hadn't seen Hagrid since before break and he believed he was due for a visit.

The raven haired boy couldn't help but holding his breath as he walked by the patrolling dementors. They made a scream echo through his mind, fear almost crippling him.

He finally let out his breath as he got past the ones by the entrance of the castle and made his way down the hill to Hagrid's hut.

"Hagrid!" Harry called, thumping on the door, "are you in there?"

The teen heard shuffling of heavy feet from inside the tiny home and the door swung open shortly after. Hagrid merely waved Harry inside, no typical jolly greeting or even a smile.

Inside the hut was Hagrid's cot, table, kitchen set, Fang however it felt much smaller than usual due to the fact a full sized Hippogriff was curled up in the back corner of the area.

"What's going on Hagrid?" Harry asked, brushing some snowflakes off his robes.

"It's Beaky," Hagrid sniffed, "take a look for yourself." He handed Harry a piece of parchment with big, wet stains, ones that Harry assumed were the result of tears.

Dear Mr. Hagrid,

Further to our inquiry into the attack by a Hippogriff on a student in your class, we have accepted the assurances of Professor Dumbledore that you bear no responsibility for the regrettable incident. We have gone over your appeal to our verdict. However we must register our concern about the Hippogriff in question. We have decided to uphold our previous statement and this matter will still be passed to the Committee for the Disposal of Dangerous Creatures. The final hearing will take place on April 20th. Please present yourself and your Hippogriff at the commuters offices in London on that date. In the meantime the Hippogriff should be kept tethered and isolated.

"It didn't work." Hagrid sobbed, "it's all my fault, I should've collected better evidence for the appeal, maybe if I had more schooling I could've wrote a more convincing letter. Don't tell Malfoy, I know he already feels bad, no need to make him feel worse." Hagrid sniffed and blew his nose, "poor Beaky, I couldn't leave him alone in the cold and the snow."

Harry tried his best to comfort the half giant however Harry was never good at other people's emotions. "Come on Hagrid, we'll figure out how to prove Buckbeak is a good Hippogriff, in the meantime you have to hold your head high for him."

"You're right," Hagrid let out a heavy breath, I can't afford to go ter pieces, gotta pull meself together."

"How about we go check on the Flobberworms," Harry suggested, "That always puts you in higher spirits."

Hagrid's shoulders dropped even lower than they were to begin with, "they're all dead," he said gloomily, "too much lettuce."

"Oh." Harry said, he squeezed the oafish man's shoulder in a last resort to comfort him.

Harry Potter really wasn't    good with dealing with others emotions. He was trying to avoid dealing with his problems by coming to spend time with Hagrid but this was turning out to be a nightmare.

"Harry," Hagrid said suddenly, shooting up from the table, "what're you doing down here, it's nearly curfew, you know your not supposed to walk the grounds by yourself. Sirius Black and all that." Hagrid grabbed his coat and pulled it over his shoulders, "C'mon now, I'll walk you back to the castle, well up until the Dementors. I hate those ruddy creatures, they make me feel like I'm in Azkaban again." The man shuddered.

Harry and Hagrid walked quickly back to the castle, fighting the winter weather and the overlooming feeling of dread projected by the Dementors.

It was after curfew when Harry made it back so he used his cloak to get him back to the common room.

Not wanting to socialize, Harry washed up and went straight to bed, dreading having to attend classes the following morning.