Still Stuck

Florida, USA

She's wearing two layers of clothes plus her coat, it's cold outside so she needed protection. She took a cart and started walking around the supermarket getting the supplies she needs. She was already at the meat section when someone called her,

"Leni?"

She looked back and saw a familiar face, "Grace?"

Grace beamed, "Oh my god! Leni it's you!" And she hugged her tightly.

Leni smiled widely, "It's been a while."

Grace broke from the hug, "Talagang it's been a while. 23 years kanang wala eh."

Leni just smiled.

Grace knew it's a bad idea to talk about what happened in the past, "Um so, how are you? We missed you so much!" She hugged Leni again.

Leni smile, "I'm okay. I'm perfectly fine."

"Let's go get some coffee." Grace invited which Leni gladly agreed.

They went to the nearest coffee shop and spent some time catching up with each other's lives.

"So how are you?" Grace asked.

Leni smiled, "I'm okay. I'm a practicing lawyer for 20 years. Well, so far so good naman."

"Wow! That's nice to hear. At least you get the career that you want." Grace expressed. She suddenly saw a ring on her finger, "May asawa kana?" She asked softly, quite disappointed as she knew that Bongbong is still waiting for her.

Leni smiled as she touched the ring, she nodded, "When I moved in here, nakapag-asawa agad ako after a year. Unfortunately, my husband died 7 years ago."

Grace suddenly felt more alive, "So technically, you're single?"

Leni nodded, "Um yes. But I'm not open to enter another relationship. Besides, I think I'm too old for that."

"Well, it doesn't have to be another relationship. It could be past relationship, anong malay natin diba?" Grace hinted.

Leni instantly got what she meant, "Grace, you know naman na—"

Grace holds her hands, "He's still waiting for you."

Leni was surprised with Grace's statement but continued to kept her calmness, "Grace, it's not easy to pick up where we left off. It's been 23 years since it all happened and I assumed we are all moved on and in the right places right now."

Grace sighed, "Yes Leni, we are all in the right places right now except Bongbong. He's still stuck where you left him 23 years ago."

Leni flashed a sad smile, "Grace, I'm sorry but I can't do anything about that."

"Yes, you can." Grace disagreed, "Ikaw lang ang makakagawa ng way to help him get out of his situation."

"But I'm not yet ready." Leni confessed. "Like him, I'm still stuck to where I left 23 years ago. The pain is still here, Grace."

Grace just looked at her with sympathy, "I'm sorry, Leni." She stood up and hugged her. She now understands why she's not coming back to the country.

Leni started sobbing, "I thought it would be easy to move on if I'm far away from him. Pero ang hirap talaga eh."

Grace started to rub Leni's back aiming to give comfort and assurance that she'll listen to her, "You can cry. I'm here to listen just like before."

Leni cried harder, she needed to cry it out to make her feel better. She's been wanting to reconnect with her best friends (Risa and Grace) for the past years but she's always afraid to do so. She thought that if she reconnect with them, it could open the door that would  lead to Bongbong which she's not yet ready to open yet.