Ghost of the Past

They were all seated for almost half an hour now, waiting for someone to arrive. Grace insisted that the whole barkada must be present as she has something to tell them.

"Bakit ba kasi dapat nandito tayo lahat? What's this about Grace?" Neil asked his wife.

"Oo nga naman mare, pati ako nakasali dito. Di naman ako nakikialam sa mga company decisions nyo." Risa added, she decided to become a full time housewife since she married Win.

"Basta, malalaman nyo rin malapit na." Grace answered, jittery.

Bongbong look up from the papers he's reviewing, "Grace we have a lot of work to do. And where's the lawyer you hired? Kailangan na natin sya ASAP."

Grace was about to answer when her phone beep, she smiled, "She's here!" And she hurriedly went outside the room.

"Sino daw?" Migz asked the rest of the barkada.

"Ewan wala naman sinabi." Koko answered.

After a couple of minutes, Grace opened the door with a wide smile on her face, "She's finally here."

They were all confused until a lone figure emerged from the door. Everyone, except Bongbong who's still focused on his papers were all shocked. They weren't able to speak for a moment. They saw their friend, Leni.

"Hi guys! It's been a while." Leni greeted with a smile on her face, the same smile that she has since they're were younger.

Bongbong paused, he suddenly felt his heartbeat racing, he knew that voice very well. He looked up slowly until he saw the woman he's been waiting for, he felt like crying. He couldn't believe that Leni was standing inches away from him. He wanted to hug her tightly and tell her how much he misses her but he can't, they're not together anymore.

Grace cleared her throat, "Hindi nyo man lang ba i-weeelcome si Leni?"

That's when they all brought back to reality, the whole barkada stood up from their seats and hugged Leni.

"Welcome back, Lens!" Koko greeted her as they hug.

"Grabe, I can't believe this is happening!" Win uttered.

"Welcome back, Lens! We're happy that you're here now. Kumpleto na tayo." Migz hugged Leni.

"Finally!" Neil said as he went to Leni and hugged her.

Risa was already crying even before she gets to hug Leni, "Grabe Lens, I missed you so much! It's been 23 years since you left. Pinagdadasal namin tong araw na to."

"I miss you too, Ris. Miss ko kayong lahat." Leni uttered.

Bongbong cleared his throat, Risa got his message right away. "Ay wait, may mas nakamiss pala sa'yo."

"Ha?" Leni frowned, confused.

"Um, hi!" Bongbong greeted her as he stood in front of her.

Leni was speechless for a moment, he's to close to her. It distracts her, she exhaled deeply earning her courage, "Hi!" And they just shook each other's hands. She felt like crying as their palms touched after 23 years. Mixed emotions swarmed her chest.

He wanted to pull her closer to him and hugged her tightly until she feel how much he misses her. He wanted to tell her that she's still the same Leni that he loved ever since they were in college but he knew he can't.

The whole barkada didn't know how to react, they knew how much Bongbong waited for this moment. They just wanted him to have a life, again.

Grace suddenly cleared her throat causing Bongbong and Leni realized that they're still holding each other's hands. Leni was first to withdraw her hand. "Um, I'm glad to see all of you but the main reason why I came home is work. Grace asked me if I can help your company." Leni stated. They didn't know what she's trying to tell them.

"Leni is our newest company lawyer!" Grace announced.

"Wow! Thank you for accepting, Lens!" Koko hugged Leni for the second time. They were all relieved with the news.

"This calls for a celebration!" Risa cheered.

——

It's already 11:30pm and the whole barkada was still up, they're gathered at the garden of Neil and Grace's house  as they were savoring the midnight snacks and reminiscing some stories from their college lives.

"Grabe yung mga itsura natin noon!" Risa mentioned as they were looking at their old photos which was taken by Win.

"Ako talaga gwapo na ako ever since!" Migz joked. They all laughed.

"Pwede ba pare, look at yourself here para kang na-dengue! Ang payat mo!" Win disagreed as he pointed Migz's photo.

"Gago!" Migz punched Win's arm playfully.

"Pero ang pinaka habulin talaga ng chics ay itong si Bong!" Koko put the spotlight to Bongbong who's just drinking his beer quietly.

"Bakit ako nakasali dyan?" Bongbong smirked.

"Eh kasi ikaw naman talaga ang pinaka babaero saating lahat eh." Koko stated.

"Kaya palagi kayong magkaaway ni Leni eh! Palagi kang may sabit." Migz seconded.

"Ewan ko ba bakit sinagot mo to dati si Bong." Win talked to Leni directly.

Leni looked at Bongbong, "Ewan ko nga din eh."

"But I'm thankful that you still did." Bongbong answered without breaking the eye contact with Leni.

The barkada became quiet for a while, they didn't know how to react during this kind of situation. They can feel the awkwardness between the two.

"Well," Neil interrupted the awkwardness, "That was a long time ago diba? And I think it's better for us to focus more with what's happening now."

"I agree!" Grace uttered. Everyone nodded.

"Alam nyo, why don't we get inside and have some rest? Let's call it a day!" Risa suggested. They're all tipsy anyway.

They started to get inside the house and prepare themselves to go home while Bongbong decided to engage Leni in a talk, "Can we talk?" He asked before she even stood from her seat.

She nodded, "About what?"

"Us." He answered.

She snorted, "I don't even know it's existing pala."

"Leni, I'm sorry." He said, looking into her eyes.

"Are you?" She replied.

He nodded. "You don't know how much I prayed for this day. The day that you'll be back again."

"I'm not here for you. I'm here for the company. Don't expect too much." She retorted.

"I know." He smiled weakly. "We really need your help right now dahil dun sa property namin in Cam Sur. Remember  Panicuason in Naga? At the foot of Mt. Isarog?"

She suddenly remembered the time when she brought him there to witness the city lights and to watch their favorite sunrise, there he promised her that he'll only marry her. They built their dreams there but it saddened her that all of that vanished in a snap because of what he did in the past which triggered her anger once again, "You know what Mr. Marcos, I am not here to be sentimental about some nonsense stuff. I am here because I committed myself to Grace and to your company that I will solve your problems regarding the property. I don't have time with all your dramas." She stated and stood up, "Now, if you would excuse me, I need to get inside and prepare my things. I'll see you at the office tomorrow."

He just nodded and watched her go. "I still love you,Mahal ko." He whispered and a lone tear escaped his eye.

To be continued....