11. Cleaning the Augean's stables

While Jack was cleaning, washing, wiping, scrubbing and filing... Tom was calmly sitting on his old chair.
"I know that I'm the one who agreed do clean this house, but isn't it a little bit too much!?"
Jack thought and gave Tom unpleasant gaze.

The older man was sitting in front of his computer getting ready to take flowing inspiration and make from it some great story. He was looking at the boy and the screen, the boy and the screen... and nothing came to his mind.

-If you're bored you can always help me...
Jack said quietly, but Tom heard him.
-No... I can't do this.
And saying so he started to review and put documents over. And that was exactly the same document which Jack arranged a few minutes earlier.

-So, how many times did you tried to pass the exam?
Tom asked while "rearranging" the notes.
-It'll be my third time.
Jack replied shyly. Tom looked at him with his eyebrows lifted.
-You're not too smart, hm?
The boy didn't answer, just focused on wiping the wardrobe.

"Ok. I was supposed to do new things. Maybe I should try all this cleaning after all." And with such a thought Tom stood up and came closer to Jack. And leaved the documents all over the table...
-Ok. How can I help you?
Jack looked at the disordered texts.
-You want to help?
-Yeah.
Tom replied firmly so Jack decided to give it a try.
-So maybe at the beginning arrange those documents.
-Which one?
He seemed truly surprised.

"Is it possible that he really can't see it??"
Jack asked himself and said:
-You know what, never mind. Just sit there. Watch some movie...
-No, I'd like to try.
And he grabbed the rag which was in Jack's hand.
-You don't need to help.
Jack insisted and pulled the rag. Tom wasn't less stubborn and violently pulled the cleaning supplied...

And both of them ended up on a floor. Tom was lying on his back, which hurt him a little, and Jack was lying on him with painfully bended arm.
Jack sat down on a floor between Tom's legs and massaged hurting part.
-Are you all right?
Tom asked hesitantly.
-I will live.
-I'm sorry. Maybe you should take a break. Let's order something to eat.
-Ok.

That day Jack was cleaning till late at night. He had to repeat himself that it's all for his own good. That it's the way for him to pass an exam. He sincerely hoped that this guy will keep his promise and prepare Jack enough to get at least this 30%.

The next day Jack planned to go to Tom's place right after work, so he texted him.
Me: I will be around 5 pm. Should I bring you something to eat?
While pouring a customer Carmel mocha Jack get a reply.
3rd floor: Just black coffee.
Before Jack even realised he already sent the next message.
Me: It's not good for your health.
Jack was thinking that maybe he went overboard. Tom didn't replied him after all...

Something about hour later, when Jack was wiping stains from the tables the reply came.
3rf floor: Than make it white.
Me: It doesn't make any difference!
Me: It's still only a coffee...

There was no more messages from Tom so Jack get for him a black coffee and a piece of cake.
"Maybe at least you will be eaten."
Jack thought while looking at the wrapped goody.

Jack ate burger on his way home and right after entering get himself to work. Tom looked surprised at the cake.
-Is it for me?
-Yeah.
Jack imitated his teacher and smiled to himself

He wasn't sure if Tom will eat the cake... but it occurred that this guy is always ready for sweets.
"I guess we have something in common after all."
Jack thought and started to clean the next shelf.

-I know that maybe I should know it, but... What kind of books to you write?
Jack wanted to talk a little. He didn't really like silence.
-I usually write books about suspense, crime, horror, thriller. And it sells pretty good.
Tom said, but continued after a minute:
-But I've always dreamed of writing a science fiction stories. And I wrote! More than one. But what they tell me? That it's a shit!
Tom became surprisingly worked up.
-Well... not exactly in that words... But I understood it like that! They want me to write what I'm good at and what sells well. But am I not good at writing about aliens!? How do they know if it won't sell unless they publish it!?
He asked or rather shouted while walking around and gesturing.

At first Jack was stunned by Tom's behaviour, but when man calmed down a little Jack laughed friendly.
-I can see that writing is really all your life.
The passionate version of Tom was quite interesting and Jack really liked it.
-I suppose.
Tom answered and also smiled to Jack.  

That day Jack finished cleaning the kitchen. There was only bathroom left and Jack decided to do it the next day. Tired, he sat down on a couch right beside Tom.
-How do you like your new home?
Jack asked proudly.
-I don't know... Is there really such a difference...?
Jack almost fell down on a floor.
-No, you're right there isn't.

After a while Tom spoke again:
-I can see that something is different... But how long will it last?
-I guess it depends how often will you clean.
Jack forgot to bite his tongue. He was afraid that Tom will be angry, but it seemed that he didn't pay any attention to that.
-I can always clean again.
Jack offered quickly.

-It would be nice...
Tom said quietly, more to himself than to Jack.

"So you can feel the difference after all." The boy thought and smiled.