Chapter 4.

"How much do you like Andrew?" Julian asked on our way home.

We arrived back in California a few hours ago and now we were on our drive back to the apartment. Andrew had a meeting at work, I told him I'd meet him there after I dropped the boys off.

"Honey I told you, me and Andrew are just friends."

"But you like him. Dont you?"

I looked at him and nodded. "I do. But he's just a friend."

"Do ye always kiss your friends the way you kissed Andrew last night?"

If he only knew.

"Julian, my love life is none of your buisness. Shouldnt your worries just be about child things?"

"Mum I just want you to be happy."

"I am happy Jules. I'm very very happy with just you two." I smiled looking back at him and James.

He nodded and stared out the window. We arrived at the apartment and made our way inside. James was sleeping in my arms as we walked into the safe, familiar building.

"Alright babe, I'm going to put James to nap. I'm going down to the office..."

"To see Andrew?" He interrupted. I rolled my eyes and walked off, heading to their bedroom. I didnt want to hear what Jules had to say. I love him dearly I do. But I just wish he would understand me and his father aren't a couple anymore.

After setting James down, I grabbed my purse and headed to the door.

"No kiss?" Julian pouted. I smiled and leaned over, kissing his cheek.

"Bye baby. See you soon alright?"

He opened his mouth to speak but I stopped him. "Alright??"

He nodded. "Alright. Bye mum."

I ruffled his hair and made my way to work.

..

Four Hours Later

I sat at my desk typing and reading over a review when I heard a knock on the door. I looked up and smiled as Andrew walked in.

"Hey. I've um, noticed you've been a bit distant from me the entire meeting. Even now."

I sighed and set my things aside. "I'm sorry Andrew I've just had lots on my mind and well...Julian is a little upset that his parents arent together. He saw us kiss last night."

"I see. He's a kid Luce. He's looking out for you. Every child wants their parents together."

"I love him so much but...I'm not his real mother. He should want John and Cynthia together."

"I think he misses the old days. That's all. He sees you alone and only gets to talk to his father on the phone. When he was younger, he could just talk to both of you at the same time."

I shook my head and let out a frustrated sigh. "John made the choices for me. He cheated and left me for another girl. I was pregnant for christs sake!"

"Lucy I know you're upset. But, you exactly arent one to get along with either."

I rolled my eyes. "Oh thanks."

He chuckled. "Look, I understand how Julian feels. My parents divorced at a young age too. I grew up with my mother and only saw my father once a month. Always having to listen about how my dad was a bastard. How he was no good. An Idiot. A fuckin loser. It hurt me. But I had to take her side. I loved my father. When it was just us, he'd take me to the movies, take me to a ball game or just catch up. Those were some of my best moments. I just wanted my mom to realise how great dad really was. I'd bring him up now and then. Tell her how much he still loved her. How he treated me good. It wasn't until she lashed out at me that I just had to realise...it was never going to happen."

I chewed on my lip and looked at him. "So what should I do?"

"Don't lash out at him. Dont be the bad parent. Just love him. And his father. I know what John did was wrong. But the guy loves his son. Appreciate him for that. This thing with Julian wont end just over night. Just show him you've moved on by being happy."

I swallowed the lump in my throat and shook my head. "What if I haven't moved on?"

He was about to speak until I got a call. I jumped a little, making Andrew laugh.

"I better go. Got a date tonight and well..." he held up a small box. I knew what was inside.

"Congrats." I smiled. He walked over and kissed the top of my head.

"I love you Lucy. Take care alright?"

I nodded and watched him as he left the room. The phone started ringing again. I sniffled and picked it up.

..

Nine Months Later

November 6, 1974

I was extremely nervous as I waited backstage at the Cow Palace arena. I held my clipboard in my hand as Julian sat on the sofa, fixing James's glasses. I took out my small compact mirror and made sure my eye makeup was perfect. I froze when I heard a voice behind me.

"You're still a fuckin knockout love."

I turned around and smiled, jumping into his arms as he laughed, holding me tight.

.....