Chapter 12.

Two Days Later

Monday

"I feel terrible. I never should have saved you." I said sitting next to Andrew as we ate lunch. He shrugged and shoved a fry in his mouth.

"It doesn't matter anymore. Looks like I'm back out on my own again. Good thing I didn't give up my apartment just yet." He smiled. I looked at him in awe.

"Andrew, I just ruined your marriage. I stopped you from starting a new life with someone and...everything just over in a snap of a finger. Why are you still happy??"

He laughed. "Look Lucy. Shit happens. No matter how bad it is, you just gotta move on. Sure my marriage ended faster than the speed of sound. Sure I'm probably gonna have to deal with some bullshit. But, It doesn't stop me from living. I have my health, a great job, a beautiful little girl..."

I looked at him. "Andrew did...have you seen Janice??"

He nodded and set his drink down. "Lucy I...I still love her. I really really do. In a way, you did save me from the mistake I was making. I saw her about a week ago. I dunno call me crazy but, it was like love at first sight."

I smiled and nudged him. "Awe. Stephens is being mister softy now."

"Shut it. No but really, she just lit up the room. Seeing my daughter and really connecting with them made me realise what's important in life. You're such a fuckin clutz in life Lucy."

I made a face as he went on.

"But I love you. You don't mean to harm others. Sometimes it turns into something good. Sometimes it backfires. But you, you always learn from your mistakes. Even if you have to go through it over and over again."

I smiled and hugged him. He held me against his chest and kissed my cheek. "We need to stop sleeping with each other."

I laughed and looked up at him. "It'll be a little difficult but, I think I'll be able to control myself. Thank you for being a true friend."

"Anytime Luce."

..

Later that evening, I sat on the sofa giggling as Julian and James put up decorations.

"It doesn't go that way!" James yelled.

"Yes it does ye dimwit!"

"Stop calling me that! Mommy! Julian is being mean!"

I stood up and walked over to them. "Julian be nice to your brother. James, nobody likes a tattle tale."

I helped with lights and goofed around with them, wrapping lights around each other and throwing tinsle in the air like snow. The room looked like a winter wonderland mess. We loved it though.

"I promise my lovelies, we'll have a big Christmas! Lots of gifts and food." I smiled.

"You don't have to work??" Julian smiled. I shook my head.

"Nope. I'm all yours." I said kissing their cheeks. They made faces but giggled. "Now, let's make cookies yeah??"

..

The kitchen was messy and smelled like gingerbread as we decorated the cookies. I gigled and squirted some blue frosting on James's cheek and licked it off. He giggled and did the same to me. Soon we were making a mess and eating our hearts out.

Little moments like these remind me of why I even go on and put up with the bullshit life throws at me. Knowing I can give someone this much joy, warms my heart.

The phone was ringing in the middle of our food fight. I jumped out of my chair and picked up the phone.

"Helloooo? Daniels residence." I said cheerily.

"Lucy?"

I stayed quiet and spoke up. "John. Erm, what...how did you get my number?"

"I 'ave my ways. Look um, I know this is a bit abrupt, but I was wondering if...you'd like to come on a holiday with me? I mean ye know, so the boys can meet their new brother and all. If you're not busy. I was thinkin maybe we can 'ave Christmas together?"

I looked back at the boys and ran a hand through my hair. "I'll have to think about it. I mean we'd need to save money for a hotel and..."

"Well, ye can stay with me. I mean my apartment is big enough. The boys can share a room, you can 'ave the guest bedroom."

I thought for a few seconds and nodded. "Okay. I guess the boys do deserve to meet their brother. Look I dunno if I should stay with you and your wife. I'll stay in a hotel room..."

"Lucy.."

"No. Please I'd feel more comfortable that way."

He sighed and agreed reluctantly.

"Alright then. If you say so."

"Good. So um, I'll see you next Thursday? Maybe a little before."

"Right. Thank you Lucy. For accepting my invitation."

I smiled to myself. "You're welcome John. I'm glad you can have me. Bye."

"Bye Luce."

I hung up and took a deep breath. Spending the holidays with John was far from what I planned this year. But I guess fate has a different route for me. The nervous bug coming back. Now to tell the boys.

.....