Chapter 40.

One month later

I layed in bed, staring at the bottle of vodka and thinking of going out to get a new one. Nope. I'm fine here in bed. Where nobody or anything will hurt me. It was hot in though. I groaned, getting out of bed quietly, and opening the window slightly. The cool air bringing the room to life.

7:09 pm

I Sat on the bed in only a tee shirt. Maxwell next to me, sleeping his little heart out. I kissed the top of his head and played with his hair. Then, there was a knock on the door. I didn't want to answer it. I knew who it was. The landlord wanting rent. I didn't have money at the moment. Most of it was spent on liquor nowadays.

Knocking turned into banging instantly. I jumped and slipped some shorts on, making my way to the front door. I took a breath before answering it.

"Where's my rent?" He asked angrily. I sighed and scratched the back of my head.

"I need another extension. Please? I'll have money coming in next week. But until then, I'm broke." That part wasn't a lie. I really was broke. The lie was that, I wouldn't have money next week.

"This is the second extension this month. I can't keep doing this Lucy. Look, I knew Andrew. He wouldn't be happy with you." He crossed his arms. I bit my lip and nodded.

"I know. Just...I've never been late before. I'm just struggling a bit this month. Please." I asked again. He sighed and nodded.

"Fine. Just this month. If it happens again, were going to have problems."

"Of course. I'll have your money as soon as I can get it. Thank you."

He just nodded and was on his way. I locked the door and slumped down. What am I going to do? I felt my stomach turn again. I was desperate. Crawling over to the phone, I picked it up, dialing and waiting for an answer.

"Ello?"

I took a breath and spoke softly. "J...John. Please don't hang up. I...I need you. Tomorrow, central park." I said, explaining the situation. He agreed and hung up. I hated being weak. I felt like a stranger in my own skin. But I was doing this for my son. He shouldn't have to take the fall for my stupid mistakes.

..

I woke up to Maxwell pouncing on me and wanting food. I smiled and sat up, kissing his cheek.

"Come on. I'll get you some cereal."

"Mommy I want daddy!"

I sighed and brushed his hair away from his eyes. "Your daddy is in heaven now."

"Wha's dat?" He asked innocently, playing with a toy. I stayed quiet and kissed the top of his head.

"I'll tell you later. Come on, let's get something to eat."

I got out of bed, following Maxwell into the kitchen, pausing when there was a knock on the door. I froze and stared at it. Slowly approaching, unlocking and opening slightly.

"Hiya."

I sighed and opened the door. "I thought I said central park. This, is my home."

"Morning to you too Luce. I'm going to be busy later on. I figured I'd come by this morning."

"You have the money?" I asked eagerly. He handed me the envelope and sat down at the table. I opened it and counted. I paused.

"What's this? There's more than..."

"Just something to help you out. Look, I know you say you can take care of yourself and Max. But after the sound of your voice and the way you looked at me just now, I can tell ye need it more than you think you do. So just keep it."