Chapter 51.

"Are ye really goin to marry dad?"

I looked up at him. "I love your father."

"Why?"

I rested my head on his naked chest as he stroked my hair. I took a short breath, staring at the small bit of sunlight peeking through the window.

"Do you have a problem with me and your father getting married? There was once a time you wanted us to be together. Remember?"

He stayed silent. I had to look at him again to make sure he hadn't fallen asleep. But he was awake. Just staring straight at the wall.

"That was before I realised how beautiful you really can be."

I let a small smile escape my lips as I looked him over. His eyes slowly met mine.

"Are we going to get in trouble?" He asked quietly. I sat up and pulled the sheet up around my body.

"No. It's best we don't let anyone know about this."

He nodded. "Do I have to start calling ye mum again?"

I leaned over and kissed his cheek. "You should. It's only appropriate."

"I know. I won't say anythin."

Our lips met again, taking a few minutes just to linger and keep the moment alive. But it had to end. I watched as he silently got out of bed and grabbed his clothes, leaving the room. I laid back down and ran a hand through my hair as my mind wandered.

..

Later that morning, I sat at the table, Maxwell in lap. He smiled and munched on his toast as I cut his hair.

"I still say to leave it alone." John said. I smiled.

"My little baby isn't going to look like a wild child just to be 'in'." I made air quotes with my fingers. "Besides, I'm just trimming it."

"That's what all ye birds say." He grabbed an apple and sat across from us. I combed Max's hair and finished up.

"Go get some clothes and meet me in the bath alright?" I said, patting Max's bottom. He giggled and jumped off my lap, running out of the room. I played with the scissors and looked at John. "So what did she say?"

He grabbed a knife and cut the apple in half. "She said what the hell was I thinkin? Why would I put Sean through a nasty divorce...put her through a nasty divorce. She gave me the guilt trip."

"And?"

He popped a slice of apple in his mouth and shrugged. "I came 'ere."

"So wait. You told her this morning?" I brushed the fallen hair off my legs and looked at him.

"Yeah. I just couldn't hear from her is all. I left before she could guilt me into anything more. I just....I do love her. I just 'appen to love you more."

I stayed silent and nodded. He looked at me, reaching for my hand.

"I do love you. I want to be with you and only you. You've always 'ad me heart."

Julian walked into the room, grabbing the toast out of the toaster and heading to the front door. I looked away from John.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"Off out. I want to visit someone." He said. I knew who he was talking about. I nodded.

"Alright. Be back before three."

He nodded and left out the door. I stood up and cleared off the table. I bit my lip, feeling John's arms move around my waist as I set the dirty dishes in the sink.

"John....everything will be alright. Won't it?"

He kissed my cheek and held me against his body. "It will my love. Patience. I want the life we deserve. You and me."

I smiled. "I love you so much. As soon as this divorce thing settles..let's get married right away? No matter what people put in the papers or what anyone says. I want to be with you."

"That's my girl." He smiled and squeezed me tight.

..

Six Months Later

October 8, 1979

"Happy Birthday!" Maxwell screamed before anyone could speak. Sean giggled as John ruffled his hair.

"Thanks love. Now the lot of yous."

"Happy Birthday!" We all yelled. Julian cut the cake as I kissed John and Sean on the cheek. Maxwell pouted at the lack of attention.

"What about me?"

I smiled and kissed his cheek. "There you are baby."

"What about me?" Julian pouted too. I rolled my eyes and laughed, kissing his cheek.

"You all are such brats." I teased, swiping some icing on my finger and licking it off. I was sitting on the sofa and looked up to see all of them just watching me. "What?"

"You're gorgeous love." John smiled. I blushed.

"Shut up and eat your cake."

We were all eating and goofing around in the living room, when there was a knock on the door. John stood up and answered it as I watched Sean and Maxwell giggle and throw icing at each other.

"Lucy can ye come over 'ere??" John yelled. I stood up and set my plate aside.

"Watch the boys." I kissed the top of Julian's head and left the room. I walked into the kitchen and saw him standing, papers in hand. I was a little nervous.

"What is it?"

"My birthday gift to you." He smiled, handing me the papers. I grabbed and read them over.

"It's finalized! John this...we can....finally!" I smiled, jumping into his arms. He chuckled and held me, kissing me deeply. I was smiling like an idiot when Julian walked into the room and set his empty plate in the trash.

"What's goin on?"

"Were getting married!" I beamed. John set me down and kissed my cheek.

"Now??"

"Let's go off yeah?? We still got time!" John yelled, grabbing my hand and leading me to the bedroom.

"Tell the boys to get dressed!" I yelled as we ran down the hall.

..

I blushed as John set the small white flowers in my hair and handed me one single rose.

"Awe." I kissed the tip of his nose. "You're such a sweetheart."

"Only for you my love. Come on." He grabbed the pen and signed his name, handing it to me. I bit my lip and before I signed, I turned to him.

"I love you so much. This time will be different. I promise."

He wrapped his arms around me from behind. Resting his chin on my shoulder as I signed my name.

The judge grabbed the papers and signed it himself, smiling at us.

"Congratulations. I now pronounce you, Mister and Misses Lennon."

I giggled as John picked me up in his arms and gave me a long kiss. He pulled back and just looked into my eyes. A smile on his face.

The start of a new love story.

.......