Chapter 57.

Two weeks later

"He won't listen to me! Last night he told me to bugger off and lay off his buisness! I was just tryin to help! I tell ye, he's off the deep end."

"Don't be too rash with him....Shhh here he comes."

Me and John stayed silent as Paul walked into the living room, disheveled and a bit run down. Just the sight of him was untamed. No shave. No showering. Not a care in the world. I think I even saw a stain on his shirt from a week ago! He was definitly in denial.

"Morning." He muttered sleepily and disappeared into the kitchen. Me and John looked at the clock.

3:45 pm

I grabbed John's arm, leaning over to whisper in his ear. "He's a mess. Maybe if I talk to him."

"He just needs some time love. Come on, if you found out your wife was thinkin of divorce, would ye want anyone to be stickin their nose where it doesn't belong??"

I sighed and nodded. "Fine. I'll let it go."

We both continued watching tv as Paul took a plate of food with him back to his room. I felt bad. Poor Paul.

..

He talked to Linda last week. He wanted to come back home, she wanted to talk about divorce. This ended with him becoming a recluse and telling anyone or anything who tried to cheer him up to 'fuck off'. The only people he did talk to were the boys. That was usually at night when me and John were busy with dinner or just relaxing after a long day.

Linda never called. John tried to talk some sense into his old friend but, he wouldn't listen. I tried many times but....it didn't work. John was right. He just wanted to be alone. To have some space. But for how long?

..

John kissed the top of my head and grabbed his guitar off the floor. He slowly began playing, while Maxwell walked into the room and sat on the floor, watching. I giggled and kissed John's cheek.

"I'm going to get more tea. Want any?"

He nodded and smiled. I left the room and walked into the kitchen, pausing by the sink and noticing one of the kitchen knives gone. I looked through the drawers, cabinets, even the refrigerator. I bit my lip and made my way back into the living room. John goofing around with Max. I tapped his shoulder.

"John I need you for a minute."

"Why? Ye can tell me 'ere." He bounced Max up and down on his knee. I sighed.

"One of the knives are missing."

He looked up at me. "What?"

"The knives. One of em is gone. The smallest one. I think Paul took it."

"Oh come now love. He probably made himself a sandwhich or something. He wouldn't use it to hurt himself."

"How do you know? Let's not forget babe, he's depressed, a total recluse and he's letting himself go. You saw him just now." I put my hands on my hips.

"You want me to check on him?"

I nodded. He sighed and took Max off his lap, standing in front of me.

"Alright. I'll be back."

I kissed his cheek and watched him disappear down the hall. Max jumping up and down on tbe sofa. I giggled and watched him. Seconds later, John came back into the room. An annoyed look on his face and knife in hand.

"Never again. That bloke 'as got some issues." He muttered, shoving the knife in my hands and sat down again.

"What happened?" I asked. He just glared at me and shook his head.

"Nothin."

..

Four hours later

I was sitting with Max on the living room floor, watching tv and being silly with him, when John came home from picking up Sean. I watched as Maxwell got excited and ran over to hug his older brother. John sighed and ran a hand through his hair, leaving into the kitchen.

I stood up and followed. He was pouring himself a drink and taking it all in one big gulp. I walked over to him and touched his arm.

"Are you okay?"

He turned to me and just shrugged. "Fantastic."

"John what's wrong? Is this about the knife thing earlier? I'm sorry I was just being cautious..."

"It's not that Lucy. It's us."

I blinked and hid my frown. "W..what do you mean??"

"This! It's just not working! I've been trying to cope for the longest time now and....I just cant! It's driving me insane!" He practically yelled.

I felt my heart sink by how harsh and desperate his words sounded.

"John I...I don't know what to say."

He shook his head. "It's no use. We need to get Paul a hotel."

I looked at him strangely. "What??"

"We need to get Paul a bloody hotel so we can continue our plans on making a baby. It's been almost three bloody weeks without tryin and I...I guess I'm just getting impatient. By December I'd like to atleast 'ave the little lad in my arms." He gave a small smile.

My heart was beating rapidly. My mind relieved and my nerves bursting out into laughter. John looked at me, a small laugh escaping his lips.

"What??"

I calmed myself down and ignored how flushed my face was. "I thought...oh my god. I thought you were talking about our relationship at first! Instead you were just talking about Paul."

He laughed and brought me into his arms. "Fuckin christ Lucy. Ye know I love you with all me heart. I finally 'ave ye, I will never let you go." He gave me a small kiss and sighed. It's just...I know Paul is our friend and he mean's a lot to us...but he's goin mad! We 'aven't had sex in two weeks. Who knows, we could have been pregnant by now!"

I giggled and pressed my finger over his lips. "I told you, Patience my love. You and that lovely cock of your just needs to wait. Friends before sex."

He pouted and shook me. "I don't want anymore friends!"

I laughed and kissed his chin, making my way to the phone. He watched me curiously.

"Who are ye calling?"

"I think it's time we called for professionals."

He raised his eyebrows, chewing on his bottom lip.

..

Two Days Later

Paul was sitting on the living room sofa, watching tv and eating cereal. John was eating a banana while I sipped my hot coffee. That's when there was a knock at the door. Me and John looked at each other.

"You door!" Paul yelled. I got up and answered it. John stood behind me and smiled.

"Alright, where's Paul??" George asked as Richard waved at us happily.

......