Chapter 31.

I was laying in the bathtub, surrounded in bubbles and lavender. Maxwell in my lap, looking up at me as I stared ahead heavy in thought.

Why couldn't he come by when I was here? Why couldn't I open the door at the right time? Just to see him. Face to face. What would we say? How would we react?

I broke out of my thoughts and looked down at Maxwell. He was full of smiles as he splashed around in the water. I washed his hair and goofed around with him.

"You're getting a little chubby Max. What has your father been feeding you?" I laughed as we got out of the bath and dried off. I put my robe on and wrapped Max in a towel. Carrying him to the bedroom.

"Nice and clean." I said putting his diaper on. I kissed his cheek and set him down in his crib as I put a shirt on followed by some underwear. There was a knock on the door, just as I grabbed my shorts. I tossed them to the side and ran to the front door, praying it was him.

My face fell to see Andrew. He blinked. "Oh I'm sorry. Were you expecting someone else?"

I sighed and shook my head. "No of course not. Come in."

I shut the door behind and watched as he looked around. "I just came over to tell you, I'll be going to California tomorrow to settle things with the company. So i'll be gone the rest of the week."

I pouted. "Why didn't you tell me ahead of time? Andrew.."

He sighed and placed his hands on my shoulders. "I'm sorry Luce. I've been busy lately and it slipped my mind. It'll just be a few days."

I nodded and looked at him. "Well, be back as soon as you can. Max will miss you."

"Just Max?" He smirked. I made a face and shoved him.

"And me. Mister show off." I laughed as he wrapped his arms around my waist, squeezing me tight.

..

"Bye daddy!" I yelled for Maxwell, making him wave. Andrew laughed and kissed his cheek.

"I'll be back soon. It's not the end of the world. Bye Lucy."

"Bye." I smiled kissing his cheek. He pecked my lips and was on his way.

It was finally Wednesday and I was nervous about the art show. Andrew wouldn't be there for support. I needed to get a sitter for Maxwell. Make a few calls and talk to the gallery owner. So much things, so little time.

..

As the week passed, my stomach tightened, my nerves got the best of me and I ate practically the entire kitchen.

Maxwell was standing up in his crib, holding onto the bars for support. Watching me zip my dress on. I pouted looking at myself. I let my hair down, put on some lipstick and a little eyeliner. The red dress clung to my body, making my breasts look huge. I wasn't really complaining there.

I picked up Maxwell and smiled at him. "How do I look huh? Mommy look pretty?"

He chewed on one of his stuffed animals and smiled at me. I giggled and nuzzled my face against his.

"I'll take that as a yes. I love you baby." I kissed his cheek and set him back down. Just as I finished up, the sitter arrived and soon, I was on my way to the gallery.

..

I walked around, looking at other people's art as I sipped my wine. It was nine thirty in the evening as the lights dimmed and people looked around. I walked back to my collection, looking at one painting in particular.

"Hi." I heard a voice behind me. I turned around and bit my lip.

"Hi." I said simply. He walked over and stood next to me.

"Is that John Lennon?"

I smiled and nodded. "Yes. How did you know?"

"Maybe, it takes an artist to know an artist." He smiled. "Do you know him?"

I shrugged and grabbed a cigarette out of my purse. He pulled out a lighter and lit it for me. I smiled, inhaling.

"Thanks. And to be honest, I did know him for awhile."

"What does that mean?"

"John was, I guess is a big part of my life. He knew me, loved me...and I loved him." I said silently. I shook my head. "Those days are gone now. But never forgotten."

"Do you think you'll ever see him again?"

"I hope so. I'd like to." I looked at him and sighed. "Do you know him?"

He chuckled and shook his head. "I've never had the pleasure. Seems like a nice man. A bit off and odd but, nice."

I giggled and nodded. "That's him alright. Are you from around here?"

"I just live a few blocks around here. I saw a show on and I decided to pop in. Something about your name drew me in."

I blushed and looked down. "Yeah? Hows that?"

He shrugged. "It's a beautiful name. Lucy."

Hearing my name come out of his mouth made my body tingle. He looked at his watch.

"It's getting late. Look um, this may be too forward but...I think you're awfully pretty and I'd love to talk more, maybe we can get a bite to eat and get to know one another better?"

I set my glass down and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. "I..I'd love that."

He smiled and stuck his hands in his coat pockets. "Good."

I grabbed my coat and pulled it on, making my way back to him. I giggled as he played with a strand of my hair.

"I believe I never got your last name." He smirked.

"It's Daniels. Lucy Daniels. And um, I believe I haven't gotten your name." I smiled, extending my hand out to him.

"John. John Lennon." He said, shaking my hand slowly as we stared in each other's eyes.

......