Chapter 28.

Two Days Later

I was finally discharged from the hospital today and I was more than excited to be going home to show little Maxwell his new home.

Andrew drove me home, and helped me out of the car. I cradled Max in my arms as we walked in the building, up the elevator, to my apartment. I giggled as he smiled at me, reaching out to Andrew.

"I think he wants his daddy." I said handing him off to Andrew.

"Yeah? You want daddy huh? Tired of boring ol mommy and her hugs and kisses?"

I made a face. "Hey, I'm just giving him love. Aren't I baby?" I said leaning over Andrew to tap the tip of Max's nose.

I opened the curtains and popped open the window to let some cool air inside. Andrew sat on the sofa and just goofed around with Max and talked to him playfully. I smiled and kissed his cheek.

"You're adorable when you do that."

"Do what?"

"Talk to him like that. You're a great father Andrew."

"Awww Daniels." He smiled, blowing me a kiss. I giggled and made my way to the bedroom. I yawned and flicked the light on to see the room full of balloons, flowers, new baby clothes and a crib.

I smiled and backed up to bump into Andrew.

"Oof. What's all this??" I asked.

"Oh, between me and your friend Richard, we decided to get you a few things." He handed me Maxwell.

"Aww. Thank you. My heroes." I teased. "Look at what everyone got you Max! Toys, a crib, new clothes!" I said in a baby voice. He just looked around and yawned. "You want to nap? Yes you do don't you?"

"I think he wants a kiss from daddy." Andrew leaned into the crib and kissed Max's forehead.

I sighed and sat on the bed. "I can't believe he's out. I mean..no more cravings or cute flutters in my tummy. I already miss it." I pouted.

Andrew laughed and sat next to me. "Are you complaining at the fact you're not pregnant anymore??"

I shrugged. "I like being pregnant. I've always wanted a big family. I dunno. Maybe it's due to the fact I never really had one. Nobody to lean on or come home to and share my day with. I grew up too soon and it bothers me. I don't want that for my baby."

Andrew nodded and took my hand in his. "Things will be better Lucy. I can see it in you already. Just worry about Max, your job, the loved ones around you. What happened in the past is over and done with. Promise me you'll remember that."

I looked at him and nodded. "I promise. Thank you for being my best friend. And erm, the father of my child."

He chuckled. "No problem Luce. It's what friends do."

I leaned over and kissed his cheek. We just looked at each other and looked away.

"I better go. I have a thing with the wife tonight." Andrew stood up and looked down at me. I just nodded.

"Alright. I'm probably going to nap and just rest. The nurse said I should take it easy and give my vagina some rest."

Andrew burst out laughing and shook his head. "Christ Daniels. There's never a dull moment with you."

..

I was laying in bed, drifting off into a deep sleep when Max decided to start crying. I instantly got out of bed and made my way to the crib. Little Max's cries were too cute. But I had to see what was wrong. Picking him up, I cradled him in my arms.

"Shhhh. What's wrong huh?" I asked quietly. He cried and cried as I checked if he needed a diaper change. He didn't. I stroked his cheek and made my way back to the bed.

"Are you hungry? Is that it?" I asked. I hated breast feeding but, I was told I had to just for a few weeks. I pulled the straps down of my top and let him do his thing. He seemed content as he had lunch. I giggled at how hungry he was.

When finished, I held him and patted his back until he let out a tiny burp. I layed him back on the bed and layed next to him, just watching him look around and slowly fall back asleep. I kissed his cheek and put him back in his crib.

"Night night my love." I whispered.

..

Three Months Later

December 18, 1976

I stood sadly, watching the plane leave as Richard left back to England. I didn't want him to leave. But had some interviews and other things to take care of at home. He promised to call once he landed. I will miss him dearly. He's been my backbone for the past few months and now, He was back off to his own life. I sighed and made my way back home.

..

I was grabbing a cup from the small cabinets and stopped as I held the cup James gave me last Christmas. I just stared at it and set it down on the counter, putting the tea bag inside, filling it with hot water. I promised my little guy I'd use it as long as I lived. I think it's about time I held onto my promises.

I'll never celebrate Christmas ever again. I also promised myself. I had to admit, this promise thing wasn't as hard as I thought. I sighed and walked over to my easel and looked at the blank canvas. What to paint. I turned on the radio and was met with a familiar voice singing about a walrus.

I smiled to myself and picked up my brush, knowing exactly what I was going to start my new theme on.

....