1.5

The train blows its whistle and pulls into an outdoor station. Hagrid walks along the side aisle, with a lantern. People begin pouring out of the train.

"Right, then! First years! This way, please! Come on, now, don't be shy! Come on now, hurry up!"

Harry, Ron and I walk up to Hagrid.

"Hello, Harry. Hi, Amelia."

"Hey, Hagrid." My brother says.

"Whoaa!" Ron says in amazement.

"Please, Hagrid. Call me Mia." I tell him.

"Right then." He says smiling at me. "This way to the boats! Come on, now, follow me."

A number of boats are plugging across a vast lake, where up ahead a huge castle can be seen. People are in awe. I am in awe.

"Wicked." I mutter.

We make our way into the castle. On a higher level, An elderly witch is waiting. She raps her fingers on a stone railing, and then goes to the top of the stairs to greet the newcomers.

"Welcome to Hogwarts. My name is Professor McGonagall. Now, in a few moments, you will pass through these doors and join your classmates. But before you can take your seats you must be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. Now, while you are here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you house points. Any rule breaking, and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup."

A toad croaks at the foot of her and a scared looking boy spots it. He jumps forward.

"Trevor!" McGonagall stares down at him. "Sorry." He backs away.

"The sorting ceremony will begin momentarily." Then the witch leaves.

Then, a slicked back evil looking boy speaks up.

"It's true then, what they're saying on the train. Harry and Amelia Potter have come to Hogwarts." Students whisper our names. "This is Crabbe, and Goyle." He nods to his thugs. "and I'm Malfoy...Draco Malfoy." Ron snickers at his name. "Think my name's funny, do you? No need to ask yours. Red hair, and a hand me down robe? You must be a Weasley. You'll soon find that some wizarding families are better than others, Potters. Dont want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there." He extends his hand.

"I think we can tell who the wrong sort are for ourselves, thanks." Harry tells him.

"Malfoy was it?" I ask him. He nods with a glare. "Can you please move? I think Professor McGonagall is going to take us in now, and you're kind of in our way."

Draco glares. McGonagall smacks him on the shoulder with a paper. He retreats with one last glare.

"We're ready for you now." She leads everyone through two large doors and into the Great Hall, where there are four long tables with many kids, as well as floating candles. The roof appears to be the sky.

"It's not real, the ceiling." Hermione whispers to me. "It's just bewitched to look like the night sky. I read about it in Hogwarts: A History."

"You must lend me that book." I tell her and she smiles.

"All right, will you wait along here, please?" The Professor guides us through the tables and gestures to an open spot in the front of the grand room. "Now, before we begin, Professor Dumbldedore would like to say a few words."

Dumbledore rises from the main table.

"I have a few start of term notices I wish to announce. The first years please note that the dark forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch," He signals to ragged old man with a cat with red eyes, "has asked me to remind you that the 3rd floor corridor on the right hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you."

"When I call your name, you will come forth, I shall place the sorting hat on your head, and you will be sorted into your houses." Professor McGonagall begins. "Hermione Granger."