6.8

"Mia!" I hear my brother call my name from behind me in the corridor.

"Hi, Harry." I greet him with a warm smile.

"Quidditch tryouts are today." He tells me. "But you don't have a lot to worry about, you're on the team."

"Woah, woah, woah. Look, I'm flattered, but if I'm not the best player to tryout, then don't put me on the team."

"What?" He looks confused.

"You can't hand me a spot, just because you're captain now and I'm your sister."

"Well, I just thought..."

"I'm going to earn my spot, just like everyone else." I smile proudly and he returns the smile.

"Good luck, then."

"Thanks." I begin to walk away. "Not that I need it." I wink at him and he scoffs.

Later that day, multiple Gryffindor me gather around the field for tryouts.

Harry tries, with little success, to get the attention of the throng of aspiring Quidditch players assembled on the pitch.

"All right! Queue up! Excuse me..."

"SHUT IT!" I yell. Instant silence. Harry frowns, nods to me, nevertheless.

"Thanks. All right. This morning I'll be putting you all through a few drills to assess your strengths. But know this: Just because you made the team last year does not guarantee you a spot this year. Is that clear?" He looks to me with a smile and I nod my head towards him.

Ron looks unnerved at this, sweating so much he's attracted a pesky fly. Cormac McLaggen, the huge boy from Weasley's Wizard Wheezes, sidles up.

"No hard feelings, Weasley, alright?"

"Hard feelings?" Ron asks, confused.

"I'll be going out for Keeper as well. Nothing personal." He smiles.

"Really? Strapping guy like you, you've got a Beater's build, don't you think?" I walk up to the two boys.

"I don't know Ron, I don't think he could handle the Beaters position either." I say to the tall boy, looking him up and down. "Beaters need to be strong, good eyes, nice aim. And, well, a Keeper needs to be agile, quick-"

Cormac nabs the fly between two fingers, kills the buzz. "I like my chances." He smiles at us and gives me a wink. "Say... think you could introduce me to your friend Granger? Wouldn't mind getting on a first name basis, know what I mean?"

"I don't think she's your type." Ron tells him.

"Oh yeah, and why not?"

"Oh, Ron's just being nice." I pay my friend on the shoulder. "He really meant your not her type."

Cormac saunters off. Ron glances up to the stands. Hermione smiles, waves.

Ginny flies swiftly, handling the Quaffle with ease. Two second years collide in mid-air. Cormac makes a brilliant save. Ron makes a shaky save.

Hermione looks on, nervous for him.

Katie Bell snatches a Quaffle with one hand, splits two defenders beautifully and makes a slick blind pass to Dean who jets high in the air, then lets the Quaffle roll off his fingers... right into Ginny's hands as she races below.

Seamus sends a Bludger rocketing into the stands, scatters a group of onlookers, leaving only Neville, who sidles delicately to the right as the others leg it.