6.10

The necklace lies green and glittering upon McGonagall's desk.

"You're sure Katie did not have this in her possession when she entered the Three Broomsticks, Leanne?"

"It's like I said." Leanne explains. "She went to the loo and when she came back she had the package. She said it was important she deliver it."

"Did she say to whom?" Leanne shakes her head. "All right, Leanne. You may go." As Leanne exists, Professor McGonagall looks to us. "Why is it, when something bad happens, it is always you four?"

"Believe me, Professor, I've been asking myself the same question for six years." Ron says to her. I can't help but nod in agreement. Why is it always us?

Just then, Snape appears at the door, eyes the four of us.

"Severus." She greets him. He looks at the necklace.

"Is this it?" McGonagall nods. Snape takes his wand, lifts the necklace like a dead snake. Eyes it with fascination.

"What do you think?"

"I think Miss Bell is lucky to be alive."

"She was cursed, wasn't she?" I ask. "I know Katie. Off the Quidditch pitch she wouldn't hurt a fly. If she was bringing that to someone, she wasn't doing it knowingly."

Snape eyes me levelly.

"Yes. She was cursed." McGonagall regrets to inform us.

"It was Malfoy." Harry says through gritted teeth. I nudge him with my arm and mouth the words, 'Harry. No.'

"That's a very serious accusation, Potter."

"Indeed." Snape glares. "Your evidence?"

"I... just... know." Harry glances at me.

"You... just... know. Once again you astonish with your gifts, Potter, gifts mere mortals could only dream of possessing. How grand it must be to be one of the Chosen Ones." Snape jokes. I can't help but roll my eyes. Ron and Hermione avert their eyes uncomfortably.

"I suggest you return to your dormitory. All of you."

"Yes, Professor." I say and grab my brother and drag him out of the room. Ron and Hermione follow. As we walk through the corridor, I speak again. "You must be joking? Telling Snape that you suspect Draco to be a Death Eater. Based on nothing but your gut!"

"She's got a point, you know." Hermione agrees and Ron nods as well.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking." He apologizes.

"No, you weren't." I take in a deep breathe. "Even if it is true, we need more evidence than, 'I just know' before we say anything to anyone."

"You're right. It won't happen again."

"I'm going to take a walk. I'll be back soon." I tell my friends. They nod and continue on to the common room.

My mind wanders as my feet carry me around the castle. It's true, Draco Malfoy is acting suspiciously, but could he really be capable of hurting someone like that. I mean really hurting someone. Sure he's the school bully and throws out minor hex's and jinx's to his unknowing victims, but curse someone? To that degree?

As I turn a corner, I hear something. Almost like weeping. In the girls bathroom.

Deciding to take it upon myself to see what's wrong with them, I step inside. The person standing in front of me isn't who I thought it would be. My obvious shocked face shows as the bleach blonde boy turns around with tears streaming down is face.

"What are you doing here, Potter?" He barks at me.

"I heard you..." my voice trails off. "Malfoy, you don't look so good."

His skin is pale, almost malnourished. Paler than normal, anyway. He's leaner, with dark circles under his eyes. But not from the crying, from lack of sleep. Puffy eyes engulf his face as the salty tears stream down his cheeks.

"Leave me alone." He turns back around and continues to stare at himself in the bathroom mirror.

I move to stand next to him and place a hand on his shoulder, gently. He jerks his head towards me, but doesn't move my hand away.

"I thought I told you to leave."

"Unlike you, Draco, I care about others." I tell him matter of factly. "Even if you've been terrible to me, my brother, and my friends for as long as we've known you.... I'll be your shoulder to cry on."

"Why?"

"Because I know what it's like to feel like you have no one to turn to because they don't understand." I pull him into my arms and he tenses up. But before we both no it, he relaxes and bends his head down to my shoulder.

We move to take a seat on the ground next to each other. He rests his head on my shoulder again and we just sit in silence.

"This doesn't make us friends, Potter." He says to me. "You and you're brother are still the reason my father is locked up in Azkaban."

"Yeah, well, your aunt killed the only family Harry and I had left so..." as I say this, he lifts his head and looks into my eyes.

"I'm- Im sorry." He says. For a moment, I don't see a cruel, rich boy sitting next to me. I see someone who's in pain and completely broken.

"Me too." We sit in silence for another minute. Then I break it again. "You don't have to tell me what's obviously eating you alive, but you can."

"I can't." He looks away again and I turn my gaze to the window on the opposite side of the bathroom.

Then something surprising happens. He speaks again.

"I'm meant to do... something." He goes on. "Something awful. And I don't know if I can."

"If it's something awful, then maybe you shouldn't."

"But he'll kill me, and everyone I love if I don't."

"I won't let him." As I say this, he looks to me confused.

"What?"

"Voldemort's ended enough lives. Don't you think it's time someone stopped him?" I ask. This takes him back.

"He's too powerful."

"He wasn't powerful enough to kill two infants fifteen years ago." He listens to my words, realizing I'm right. But he doesn't speak. "Look, you're very noble to put your life on the line for everyone you care about. Not a lot of people would do that."

"You think so?" He raises an eyebrow at me.

"I know so." I begin to get up. "It's your choice whether you choose to save yourself and your family and friends, or the entire wizarding world. But if you do decide to stand up to him, send me an owl. I'd love to be apart of your uprising."

I extend my hand to help him off the ground. "I don't think it's that easy, Potter."

I start to walk out, but as I reach the door of the bathroom, I turn back around. "Nothing worth doing ever is."