7.26

As we reappear, Harry, Ron, Griphook, and I fall back into the shadows and Hermione, as Bellatrix, steps to the mouth of the alley to see if the coast is clear. A warlock passes.

"Madam Lestrange." He greets her.

"Good morning." She replies cheerily.

The Warlock eyes her oddly, then continues on. As Hermione retreats back into the alley, Griphook emerges from the shadows, his voice harsh and mocking.

"Good morning? Good morning?" He scoffs. "You're Bellatrix Lestrange, not some dewy-eyed schoolgirl!"

"Hey. Easy." Ron warns.

"She gives us away and we might as well use that sword to slit our own throats. Understand?" The goblin glares up at them both.

"He's right. I was being stupid." Hermione looks down.

Harry pulls the Invisibility Cloak from his coat, tosses it to Ron. "C'mon. Let's do it."

"After you, brother dearest." I say to him. He starts moving and I follow.

A gust of wind blows and we see a fading poster of Harry and I flapping on the brick wall, bearing the caption "Undesirables Number One."

In the shadows, Griphook clambers onto Harry's back. I huddle in close as Ron pitches the cloak over us, then we vanish.

Eventually we make it to Gringotts. Hermione and Ron mount the steps to enter. Harry, Griphook, and I follow, invisible to the eye.

A vast marble hall. A long counter. Goblins perched on high stools. Wizard guards positioned throughout. As Ron and Hermione enter, wind whistles through the doorway, sends the pages of the Goblin's massive ledgers trembling. As the door closes, the room returns to its eerie silence. Hermione glances at Ron. He nods and she steps to the long counter, where an aged goblin scribbles in his ledger.

"Identification." He says plainly.

"I hardly think that will be necessary." Hermione tells him, trying her best to sound like Bellatrix.

The goblin looks up. "Madam Lestrange! Dear me! How may I help you today?"

"I wish to enter my vault." She states.

"I see. Very well. Excuse me, won't you?"

The goblin slips off his stool, goes to consult with another, even more ancient goblin.

"I don't like to be kept waiting." Hermione's tone is harsh, authoritative. She turns to Ron, raises an eyebrow. He nods, mouths "Well done," then looks away, eyeing the guards stationed about the room. One looks up, meets his gaze.

"Next." Ron turns, sees the Tall Goblin eyeing him.

"He's with me." Her tone changes to utter disdain. "As difficult as that may be to imagine."

Ron frowns, takes in the scene again. The scratch of goblin quills seems to grow louder. Ron fidgets, eyes the guard again, who is looking at him more closely now. Ron runs a finger under his collar, shifts his eyes to the Aged Goblin who continues to consult with the one known as Bogrod. Bogrod says something and they both glance at Hermione.

Then Griphook voice hisses in our ears. "They know!"

Ron stiffens, turns slightly toward the empty spot to his left. "What do you mean?"

"They know she's an imposter! They've been warned!" Ron looks back, watches the two goblins return to Hermione.

"Madam Lestrange. Would you mind presenting your wand?" Bogrod states.