3.5

"Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts.
Now, I'd like to say a few words... before we all become too befuddled by our excellent feast." Dumbledore begins to say. "First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R.J. Lupin... who's kindly consented to fill the post... of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

"Of course. That's how he knew to give us the chocolate, Harry." I mutter to my brother. Then Malfoy  throws a paper ball at the back of my head. I turn around, and so does Harry.

"Potters. Is it true you fainted?" He says, then smirks. "I mean, you actually fainted?"

"Shove off, Malfoy." Ron says and grabs my shoulder and turns me back around. Good thing he did, or I would've hexed the bloody hell out of him.

"How did he find out?" Harry asks me.

"Just forget it." Ron tells us both. I take in a deal breath and turn my attention back to Dumbledore.

"Our Care of Magical Creatures teacher... has decided to retire... in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs. Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce... that his place will be taken by none other... than our own Rubeus Hagrid."

The houses clap for Hagrid, except for Slytherin. They just scoff and snicker.

"Finally, on a more disquieting note... at the request of the Ministry of Magic... Hogwarts will, until further notice, play host to the dementors of Azkaban... until such a time as Sirius Black is captured. The dementors will be stationed at every entrance to the grounds. Now whilst I've been assured... that their presence will not disrupt our day-to-day activities... a word of caution. Dementors are vicious creatures. They'll not distinguish... between the one they hunt and the one who gets in their way."

Then it seems like he looks directly at Harry and I. "Therefore, I must warn each and every one of you... to give them no reason to harm you. It is not in the nature of a dementor to be forgiving. But you know, happiness can be found... even in the darkest of times... if one only remembers to turn on the light."

"The dementors will be here? On the grounds?" Hermione asks.

"What are you scared of? You didn't faint on the train." Harry says.

"They didn't try to perform the Dementors Kiss on me." She semi glares at Harry.

"The what?" He asks.

"I wondered if that was what they were doing." I ask her. Harry just looks at me with a confused look. "Honestly, I've seen you read some of my books. Do you actually take in the information or do you just look at the pictures?"

"The Dementors Kiss is one of the most horrific things that can happen to anyone. Its when they suck out your soul." Hermione states.

"So it kills you?" My brother asks.

"It's worse." I tell him. "You can exist without your soul, you know, as long as your brain and heart are still working. But you'll have no sense of self anymore, no memory, no...anything. There's no chance at all of recovery. You'll just... exist. As an empty shell. And your soul is gone forever... lost."

After the welcoming feast, I begin to get up from my seat. Professor Dumbledore comes up to me and speaks.

"Miss Potter, would you care to take a stroll with me up to my office?"

"Of course, Professor."

We start walking through the corridors and eventually reach his office.

"I see you have requested to take many different classes this year. May I ask why?"

"Well, the more I know, the more I can be prepared. The more I can be ready." I tell him.

"Ready for what?"

"I think you know the answer to that, sir."

He gives me a smirk. "Yes, I thought so." He reaches into his desk and pulls out a necklace with an hour glass hanging from it. "A gift to you. Though, I do wish for it back at the end of the year."

I take it from him and examine it. "What is it, Professor?"

"A time turner, Mia." He states. "It's how you'll be able to take all your classes."

"How does it work?"

"Well, you go to one of your first classes, then at the end, turn it, I'd say about once or twice, and then go to your other class that takes place at the same time."

"So I can take as many classes as I want?" I ask, hopeful.

"Yes, Amelia." He says, smiling. "But I must warn you. There are rules. Consequences, if you do not follow them." I nod and he goes on. "You must never let the same people see you, you must never let yourself see you, and don't take advantage of it." Then he adds. "If you use it too many times in a day, it can mess up the respected timeline."

I nod. "Thank you, sir. I understand." As I walk out of the Headmasters office, I mutter to myself, "Hermione is going to be jealous of all the studying."

—————————————————————————

"Fortuna Major." Seamus Finnigan says to the Fat Lady.

"Here, listen." The Fat Lady continues to sing a high note.

"She just won't let me in." He tells us as the four of us walk up to him.

"Fortuna Major." Harry tries.

"No, no, no. Wait, wait. Watch this." She starts singing again, but then it turns into a high pitch scream. I cover my ears. Then she turns and smashes the glass she's holding onto a wall behind her in the picture. "Oh, amazing! Just with my voice."

"Fortuna Major." I say sternly.

"Yes, all right. Go in."

"Thank you." I roll my eyes and we all pile into the Gryffindor common room.

"Still doing that after three years." Harry states, annoyed.

"She can't even sing." Ron says.

"Exactly." I tell the boys and head up to the girls dormitory.

I meet Ginny and Hermione up there. I smile at my two friends and throw myself on the bed.

"Long day?" Ginny asks.

"Well, I did pass out mid-Dementors Kiss." I say to her.

"Right. Sorry." She apologizes.

"Don't be. I'm just glad to be back in the castle."

"How's Harry?"

"Why do you care?" I sit up and raise my eyebrow at her.

"Ginny, here, has a crush." Hermione smirks.

"No I do not!" She defends.

"Oh, I'm sorry. She's in love." Hermione puts her hands to her heart and looks up to the ceiling.

"Stop it Hermione! Do you want me to tease you about Ron? I know you fancy him!"

"What? No I don't!"

"You never shut up about him!"

"Girls! Please!" I yell. "Why do we have to talk about boys? Can't we just enjoy each other's company?"

"I suppose." Ginny huffs out.

"Fine."

"Good. Now what are you're classes?"