1.8

In the bathroom, Hermione finally emerges from a stall, wiping her eyes. I wrap her up in my arms in hopes to comfort her and she just smiles. She stops when she sees something. A troll is standing there. Hermione backs up, into the stall just as the troll raises its club and smashes the top part of the stalls. I jump out of the way, landing by the entrance to the bathroom.  Hermione and I scream. Harry and Ron come bursting in.

"Hermione, move!" I yell.

The troll smashes the remaining stalls.

"Help! Help!" The boys and I start throwing wood pieces at the troll.

"Hey, pea brain!" Ron throws wood and hits the troll on the head. Hermione escapes from the stalls to under a sink, but the troll sees her and goes to smash her. It cracks the sink and barely misses Hermione. Harry and I cringe.

"Ahhh! Help!"

Harry gets out his wand. He runs forward and grabs the troll's club, and is lifted up.

"Whooa! Whoa, whoa!" He lands on the troll's head, and is hurled forward, then back, and his wand goes up the troll's nose.

"Harry! What in the bloody hell-" I start to say but then the troll tries to smack me again so I am forced to jump out of the way.

The troll snorts, and whips around. It gets Harry off its head and is holding him by one leg, upside down. It gears up its club and swipes at Harry. He pulls himself up, then down. The troll swipes again.

"Do something!" Harry cries out. The troll swipes at him again but he pulls up.

"What?" Ron questions.

"Anything! Hurry up!" I yell at him.

Ron grabs his wand. Under the sink, Hermione waves her hand.

"Swish and flick!"

"Wingardium Leviosa!" The club is lifted out of the troll's hand and hovers above its head. The troll looks up, confused, just as the club comes crashing back down. It hits the troll's head and the troll wavers, then drops Harry, who crawls away towards me, and it comes crashing down, hard.

Hermione approaches carefully.

"Is it...dead?" Hermione asks.

"I don't think so. Just knocked out." I say. He grabs his wand...which is covered in goo. "Ew. Troll bogies."

Suddenly, McGonagall, Snape and Quirrell come rushing in. They all gasp.

"Oh! Oh, my goodness! E-Explain yourselves, all of you!"

"Well, what it is..." Harry, Ron and I begin to say but Hermione cuts us off.

"It's my fault, Professor McGonagall." The teachers, and Ron, Harry, and I gape at her.

"Ms. Granger?"

"I went looking for the troll. I'd read about them and thought I could handle it. But I was wrong. If Harry, Ron, and Mia hadn't come and found me...I'd probably be dead."

"Be that as it may...it was an extremely foolish thing to do." Harry and I look at Snape's leg...which has a large cut on it. Snape notices and covers it up, glaring at us as McGonagall speaks. "I would have expected more rational behaviour on your part, Ms. Granger. 5 points will be taken from Gryffindor for your serious lack of judgment. As for you three, I just hope you realize how fortunate you are. Not many students could take on a full grown mountain troll and live to tell the tale. 5 points...will be awarded to each of you. For sheer dumb luck." Snape and McGonagall leave.

"Perhaps you ought to go...M-might wake up...heh." Quirrell says. We all leave as the troll roars. "Ahh! Hehe...."

The next morning, in the great hall. The gang is sitting, eating. Harry and I are twirling our food on a fork.

"Take a bit of toast, mates, go on." Ron told us.

"Ron's right, you two. You're both gonna need your strength today." Hermione adds.

"I'm not hungry." Harry says.

"Me neither." I add.

Snape appears.

"Good luck today, Potters. Then again, now that you've both proven yourself against a troll, a little game of Quidditch should be easy work for you...even if it is against Slytherin." He leaves, limping.

"That explains the blood." I mutter out.

"Blood?" Hermione questions.

"Listen, last night, I'm guessing Snape let the troll in as a diversion so he could try and get past that 3 headed dog. But, he got himself bitten, that's why he's limping."

"But why would anyone go near that dog?"

"The day we," I look to my brother, "went to Gringotts, Hagrid took something out of one of the vaults. He said it was Hogwarts' business, very secret."

"So you're saying..." Hermione starts.

"That's what the dog's guarding. That's what Snape wants." Harry finishes for her.

Two owls screech. It is Hedwig and Pepper. They are carrying very large, long parcels. They drop them off.

"Bit early for mail, isn't it?" Hermione asks.

"But we- we never get mail." Harry tells me.

"Let's open them." Ron chimes in and starts helping us unwrap the parcels. We get them open.

"It's broomsticks!" Harry and I exclaim.

"Those are not just any broomsticks, Harry and Mia. Those are Nimbus 2000s!" Ron says, amazed.

"But who...?" I start to question. I see Professor McGonagall up at the head table, stroking Hedwig and Pepper. She smiles and I nod to her.