6.28

Harry and I scream with rage. Bellatrix raises her wand to the sky and a deafening blast shakes the castle, masking our cries. The cloud explodes with grim light, mutating into a skull. As the Death Eaters flee, Snapes arm drops limply to his side.

"You can no longer stay here." Draco, stunned, stares at the empty place where Dumbledore stood only seconds before. Snape takes him by the scruff of the neck, forces him through the door, then follows.

Harry and I scramble up the stairs and lurch to the ramparts, bathed in the green light from above. We peer down. Agony wrecks our faces and Harry has to steady me as I begin to fall to the ground. Tears stream down my face. Tears of sadness. Then I look up into the leering skull above. Rage fills both of our eyes.

We burst through the entrance doors, wands in hand. Before Harry and I, the grounds shimmer eerily in the green glow. We see the figures fleeing towards Hagrid's Hut.

Snape and the others race toward the edge of the grounds. Suddenly, Snape pulls up, looks back. Sees Harry and I sprinting towards him. Malfoy, looking edgy, is watching us too.

"Go on!" Snape tells Draco. Just then a giant fireball erupts into the sky. Snape wheels, sees Bellatrix and the others silhouetted against the flames. They've set Hagrid's Hut ablaze. Malfoy stands paralyzed. "Go on!"

Running. That's all I'm doing. Not thinking clearly, Harry and I bolt forth, wands in hand, vengeance in our eyes. Up ahead, Snape stands solidly, tall and black against the raging fire. Harry points his wand, fires a jet of red light. Snape doesn't move, merely lets it streak by his head. Harry and I stop, chests heaving, and take aim again.

"Cruciatus!" Harry yells. Snape raises his wand, parries the curse with ease.

"Incacerata!" I yell this time. Once again, Snape deflects the spell. "Impedimenta!"

Another lazy flick of the arm, another curse defeated. I drop my arm in frustration.

"Fight! Fight back, you coward!" Harry screams.

With staggering quickness, Snape's wand whips forth and Harry and I are off our heels and crashing to the earth.

"Don't ever associate that word and my name again."

Harry raises himself up on one knee, points his wand when a jet of red light sends him crashing back into the grass. Snape wheels, sees Bellatrix standing behind.

"No! He belongs to the Dark Lord!"

Bellatrix eyes Snape levelly, then turns, trots off. Snape glances at Harry and I, then turns away himself, walking. Harry grimaces, pulls himself to his feet and aims one last time.

"Sectumsempra!"

Snape wheels and once more sends Harry flying onto his back. Harry stares at the stars as they wheel over him, when Snape comes into view. Now standing over my brother.

"You dare use my own spells against me, Potter?"

Harry goes still. His eyes shift, meet Snape's.

"You may have gotten your mother's eyes, but you're as dim as your father."

"It's you." I say weakly. "You're the Half-Blood Prince."

Snape kicks Harry's wand aside and turns my way. "I'm surprised you didn't figure it out sooner, Mia. You were always the clever one. Just like Lily."

I stand up and raise my wand at him. "Don't you dare say my mothers name. You don't deserve it." I wave my wand again, but he blocks the spell, sending the stunning charm towards me.

He then turns, joining Malfoy and the others where they wait beyond the flaming ruins of Hagrid's Hut. They head for the darkness of the treeline. And vanish. Harry pounds his fist into the ground. I sit up and look at the burnt hut.

"Hagrid... Hagrid!"

Racing towards the hut, the door flies off its hinges. Seconds later, Hagrid stumbles out, beard smoking.

"Hagrid! You alright?"

"Take more'n tha' ter finish me off. Not sure about me 'ouse, tho'. But if anybody can put it righ', Dumbledore can."

"Hagrid, Dumbledore-" Harry stops himself before he finishes that sentence. The rage and anger that once swallowed me up, evaporated. The sadness returned.

"Only thing I can't reckon is wha' Snape was doin' with tha' lot." Hagrid turns then, sees the huge throng of students and staff assembled outside the castle. "An' wha's this wi' the Dark Mar'? Who's been killed?" He stops. "Where's Dumbledore, 'arry? Mia? Where's Dumbledore!!"

Harry and I try to speak, but we are mute. Hagrid goes still. I can't help but run into my brothers arms and weep into his chest.