5.21

"I know how you feel, Harry and Mia." Dumbledore's says as we sit in his office.

"No, you don't." Harry says coldly to him. "It's my fault."

"No, the fault is mine." Dumbledore's says. "I knew it was only a matter of time... before Voldemort made the connection between you two. I thought by distancing myself from you both, as I have done all year...he'd be less tempted, and therefore you might be more protected."

"The prophecy said: 'Neither one can live while
the other one survives.'  It means one of us is gonna have to kill the others, in the end." I say.

"Yes."

"So for Voldemort to die, one of us must die too?" Harry asks.

"That part is unknown." Dumbledore says.

"Unknown?" I question. "You mean, you don't have the answers this time?"

"I only act like I know everything, Mia." He says with a smirk. "But alas, this has stumped me."

"Why didn't you tell us?" Harry asks.

"For the same reason you tried to save Sirius." He says. "The same reason your friends saved you. After all these years, after all you've suffered... I didn't want to cause you both any more pain. I cared too much about you."

"Sir, with all do respect, you should have told us." I tell him. "I mean, it would have prepared us more."

"You're right." He states. "I'm truly sorry."

"Professor, you said, at the ministry, that it's not how we are alike, but it's how we are different." Harry says. "Does that mean we will keep having these moments that keep us like Voldemort? Or will that ever stop?"

"I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that either." He says. "I'm sure that if it were to come down to it, you two will make the right choices."

—————————————————————————

"How come you're not at the feast?" I ask Luna as I approach her in an empty corridor.

"Lost all my possessions. Apparently people have been hiding them." She says, holding a parchment with a list of items.

"That's awful."

"Oh, it's all good fun. But as it's the last night, I really do need them back."

"Do you want any help finding them?" I ask her. But she shakes her head.

"I'm sorry about your godfather, Mia." She tells me.

"I'm going to miss him, but it just makes me want to stop You-Know-Who and his followers even more."

"Revenge is a great motivator." She says. "But you shouldn't let it consume you."

"You're right. You know, I see why you're in Ravenclaw. You're very wise beyond your years." I tell her, realizing she's a year younger than I am.

"I guess that's why the sorting hat placed me there." She smiles.

"Are you sure you don't want any help looking?" I ask, referring to her possessions.

"That's all right. Anyway, my mum always said... the things we lose have a way of coming back to us in the end. If not always in the way we expect." She says and we look up and see a pair of her shoes dangling from the ceiling. "Think I'll just go have some pudding."

—————————————————————————-

"I've been thinking about something Dumbledore said to us." I say to my friends as we sit in our compartment on the Hogwarts express, heading home for the summer.

"What's that?" Hermione asks.

"That even though we've got a fight ahead of us... we've got one thing that Voldemort doesn't have." Harry states.

"Yeah?" Ron questions

"Something worth fighting for." I say. They smile at me and we all look out the window.

I'm reminded of the friendships I've made along this crazy journey called life. I remember Cedric, and I know how he wouldn't want me to grieve over his death. He'd want me to continue on, and keep living my life.

Then I think to Fred. Butterflies erupt in my stomach as I think of him. Getting to see him again, getting to hold him, and hug him. Kiss him. I think Cedric would want me to be happy, and Fred makes me happy. 

End of Year 5