7.25

A fire crackles. Harry toys with the snitch Dumbledore bequeathed him. My fingers gently caress the time turner given to me. Harry turns to me.

"Is that what I think it is?" He asks, pointing to my hands.

"The time turner from third year..." I nod, my gaze doesn't lift.

"Why do you think he left it to you?"

"I don't know." I slip it away into my shirt. "Why'd he leave the snitch to you?"

Harry smirks and nudges my shoulder with his arm. Then we both sit in silence for a moment.

"You're sure it's hers?" Ron's voice fills our ears.

Harry and I look up, seeing Ron turning a strand of hair in the firelight.

"Positive."

Harry turns to the two wands on the table, the ones he showed Ollivander, and extends the longest to Hermione. "I reckon you should take this then."

"Can't I use the other?" Hermione asks.

"You heard Ollivander. It's Mia's now."

"But I hate that thing..." she says. "That's the wand that killed Sirius! How can I hold it and not feel..."

"If we can hold it, you can." I cut her off and glance to my brother.

Hermione looks me in the eye, then takes it.

"How will we know what it is when we get in there? After all, a Horcrux can be anything." Ron questions.

"We'll know. I can't explain. It's like..." I say. Harry and I both touch our chests.

"...they sing to us." Harry finishes for me.

Hermione and Ron exchange a troubled glance. "That's a bit scary."

"It is." Hermione trails off then looks to Harry and I. "Harry, Mia. Did Dumbledore ever say anything to either of you, something that might explain why?"

"No. We just know. When one's near." Harry states.

"It's like it's apart of us and we're apart of it." I try to further explain. But Hermione and Ron stare at us silently, when a floorboard squeaks.

We turn, watching shadows appear. Bill and Fleur.

Fleur hands Hermione a long black womans cloak.

"This is the closest I could find to what you described, Hermione." She tells her.

"It's perfect. Thank you, Fleur." Fleur lays the cloak in Hermione's hands, then steps back next to Bill. He studies the four of us.

"You're leaving, aren't you." Bill sighs.

"In the morning." Harry tells him.

"And Griphook?"

"He'll be leaving too." I tell him.

Bill nods, staring off briefly. "Listen, I don't know what you're up to, but I know goblins. If you've struck any kind of bargain with Griphook, you must be exceptionally careful to live up to it. If you don't... he won't be forgiving."

The four of us sit in silence, watching Bill withdraw. Harry glances down at his palm again, at the Snitch. I remove the time turner from the inside of my shirt and stare briefly at it.

I don't know why Dumbledore felt the need to leave it to me, but I have a feeling it was for a good reason.

I walk towards the porch of the small cottage and take a seat on the bench. The waves are especially high tonight and I can't seem to take my eyes off of them. Then I sweet voice lingers in the air.