6.25

Harry and I stand at a window, looking out. He brings his fingers to his chest again when, Hermione comes up behind us.

"Harry. Mia. It's time."

We walk down the corridor, Ron and Hermione by our side to wish us luck on our adventure. Mission. Task.

"Hermione, Mia, is the Room of Requirement unplottable?" Harry asks us.

"If one wants it to be. Why?" I answer.

"It would explain why I thought Malfoy was leaving the castle when he disappeared off the Map. He was going to the Room of Requirement."

"Of course, and that explains the Vanishing Cabinet as well!" Hermione says.

"No. I got an owl from Dad this morning. The one at Borgin & Burke's? It's still there." Ron tells us.

"But I'm telling you. I saw it-" Harry stops as he notices my eyes go wide. "What?"

"What if there are two? Vanishing cabinets." I say, gesturing between the two of us.

"What if there are?" Hermione asks.

"I don't know..."

"Good luck, mates." Ron says with a smile. We turn back to Ron and Hermione, neither able to fully conceal their concern. Harry and I smile reassuringly, and continue on.

"We don't need luck." Harry says.

"We'll be with Dumbledore." I add.

As Harry and I trot up the spiraling exterior stairs, we hear voices coming from the topmost level and we pause, peering up through the grid-like floor above. Dumbledore and Snape.

"Have you ever considered that you ask too much? That you take too much for granted? Has it ever crossed your brilliant mind that I don't want to do this anymore?" Snape asks.

"Whether it has or hasn't is irrelevant. I will not negotiate this with you, Severus. You agreed. There's nothing more to discuss."

We stand poised, peering upward, where Dumbledore squints toward the dying sun and Snape glares at his back. Finally, Snape turns away and, before Harry and I can react, is descending the stairs. Seeing the two of us, Snape falters briefly, then continues on without a word.

As his footsteps fade, Harry and I ascend to the upper tier. Dumbledore turns. Smiles.

"Harry. You need a shave, my friend." He smiles at my brother. Then turns to me. "Mia. You need a haircut."

Harry runs his hand over his face and I put my fingers through my hair, feeling the long, stringy ends.

"At times I forget how much you've both grown. At times I still see the small boy and girl from the cupboard." Harry and I glance at each other. "Forgive my mawkishness. I am an old man."

"You look the same to us, sir." I tell him with a smile.

"Like your mother, you are unfailingly kind. A trait people never fail to undervalue. I'm afraid." Dumbledore turns then, eyes the fiery sky again. "The place to which we journey tonight is exceedingly dangerous. I promised that you two could accompany me and I stand by that promise. But there is a condition: You must obey any command I give you -- without question."

"Yes, sir." We say.

"Understand what I'm saying. Should I tell you to hide, you must hide." We nod. "Should I tell you to run, you will run." We nod. "And should I tell you to abandon me and save yourself..." our eyes rise, meeting Dumbledores. "You will do so."

Harry and I hesitate.

"Your word, Harry and Amelia." We both debate this internally, then, finally, nod.

"Our word." We agree.

"Take my arm."

"Sir, I thought one couldn't Apparate within Hogwarts." I say with a smirk.

"Being me has its privileges."

The wind gusts and Harry and I reach out. Dumbledores cloak billows and we are tossed into black. Undulating.