3.17

"At least someone's enjoying himself." I mutter as Buckbeak eats another dead ferret I toss at him.

"Yeah." Harry says. And then I look over at him.

"Harry?"

"What?" He asks.

"Why didn't you tell me about seeing Peter Pettigrew in the Marauders Map?"

"I thought the map was wrong." He says. "But I got curious and decided to try and go find him."

"What? Without me?" I question, slightly offended. "Harry, he betrayed our parents. I'm your sister, you should have told me!"

"I know, I know." He says. "If it's any conciliation, Snape caught me and Lupin confiscated the map."

"It does make me feel a bit better."

"Mia?" He questions.

"Yeah?"

"Before, down by the lake, when we were with Sirius... I did see someone." He says. "That someone made the dementors go away. With a Patronus. I heard Snape telling Dumbledore." He pauses for a second. "According to him... only a really powerful wizard could have conjured it." He pauses again. "It was dad. Dad conjured the Patronus."

"Harry, but dad's..."

"Dead. I know." He cuts me off.  "I'm just telling you what I saw."

We go quiet and I look out at the tree again. "Here we come."

"When we free him, We'll  never have to go back to the Dursleys'." Harry says, seeing Sirius talk to us. "It'll just be us and him."

"We could live in the country... someplace you can see the sky. He'll like that after all those years in Azkaban." I add. Then I look and see us running off towards Sirius and Lupin. "Harry!"

"Run!" He says. "Let's go!"

I look out and see the werewolf about to attack Harry and I. I put my hands around my mouth and howl.

"What are you doing?" Harry asks.

"Saving our lives!" I do it again.

"Thanks." He mutters. Then we see the werewolf coming this way. "Great! Now he's coming for us."

"Yeah, I didn't think about that. Run!" I say and we go deeper into the forest.

Hiding behind a large tree we see it wandering off. We take a few steps back, but then hear leaves crunching behind us. We turn and see the werewolf.

We clutch into each other and turn our heads away, accepting our fate. But out of nowhere, Buckbeak comes out and scares it away.

"That was so scary." I say, turning into Harry again. He hugs me tight. "Poor Professor Lupin's having a really tough night."

"Sirius! Come on!" He takes my hand and we run. Coming to the trees on the other side of the lake, we watch as the dementors attack the three of us.

"This is horrible." I mutter. "Watching it like this."

"Don't worry. Dad will come.He'll conjure the Patronus." Harry says hopefully. "Any minute now! Right there! You'll see!"

"Harry, listen to me. No one's coming." I tell him.

"Don't worry, he will! He will come!"

"We're dying... both of us. Sirius too." I mutter. And then it hits me. I realize Harry didn't see dad cast the patronus. I look up at him. "Harry!"

But he already realized it as well. "Expecto Patronum!"

A powerful Patronus comes out of the end of his wand, and sends all the dementors away.

—————————————————————————

Flying in Buckbeaks back, we head to the Clock Tower to rescue Sirius.

"You were right, Mia. It wasn't dad I saw earlier. It was me!" He exclaims. "I saw myself conjuring the Patronus before. I knew I could do it this time because... well, I had already done it." He says happily. "Does that make sense?"

"Yes, I'm so proud of you, Harry. I knew you could do it!" We land on the tower and find Sirius locked in a cell like room. I take out my wand. "Bombarda!"

The door blows open and we rush in to Sirius. Helping him up, we bring him over to Buckbeak.

"I'll be forever grateful for this... to both of you." He says.

"Can we go with you?" I ask, wanting to live out our lives with the only family, to only true guardian, we have.

"One day, perhaps. For some time, my life will be too unpredictable. And besides... you're meant to be here."

"But you're innocent." Harry says.

"And you know it. You both do." He hugs us. "And for now, that will do. I expect you're both tired of hearing this... but you two look so like your father. Except your eyes. You have..."

"Our mother's eyes." I finish for him.

"It's cruel that I spent so much time with James and Lily, and you both so little. But know this: The ones that love us never really leave us. And you can always find them... in here." He points to our hearts. Then looks to me. "You really are the brightest witch of your age."

Then he gets on Buckbeak and flies off. Free at last.

"We have to go." I tell him and we run off to the Hospital wing, careful not to be seen.

"Well?" Dumbledore says as he closed the doors and turns.

"He's free. We did it." Harry says.

"Did what?" Dumbledore smiles. "Good night."

We burst through the door just as our past selves go back in time. Ron looks to the spot they were just in and then sees us run in.

"How did you get there? I was talking to you there. And now you're there." He points and stammers.

"What's he talking about, Harry?" I smile.

"I don't know." Harry says. "Honestly, Ron. How can somebody be in two places at once?"