1.11

In the library, after the Holiday season, Harry, Ron, and I are seated, reading. Hermione comes up with a huge book. She thumps it onto the table. Harry jumps.

"I had you looking in the wrong section! How could I be so stupid? I checked this out a few weeks ago for a bit of light reading."

"This is light?" Ron asks with a raised brow.

Hermione glares at him, "Of course! Here it is! "Nicholas Flamel is the only known maker of the Philosopher's Stone!"

"The what?" Ron and Harry say together.

"Honestly, don't you two read?" I say to them both, then look at Hermione, "Go on Hermione."

"The Philosopher's Stone is a legendary substance with astonishing powers. It will turn any metal into pure gold and produces the Elixir of Life, which will make the drinker immortal."

"Immortal?" Ron asks.

"It means you'll never die." Hermione tells him.

"I know what it means!"

"Shh!" Harry and I shush him.

"The only stone currently in existence belongs to Mr. Nicholas Flamel, the noted alchemist, who last year celebrated his 665th birthday!" Hermione continues.

"That's what Fluffy's guarding on the 3rd floor. That's what's under the trapdoor...the Philosopher's Stone!" I put the pieces together. We all look at each other.

—————————————————————————

Later that night, Hermione, Ron, Harry and I run across the wet ground to Hagrids hut. We knock on the door and it opens.

"Hagrid!" Harry says.

Hagrid, in oven mitts and an apron, "Oh, hello. Sorry, don't wish to be rude, but I'm in no fit state to entertain today." He starts to close the door.

"We know about the Philosopher's Stone!" We all shout.

The door reopens. "Oh."

We all come into Hagrid's small hut.

"We think Snape's trying to steal it." Harry tells him.

"Snape? Blimey, Harry, you're not still on about him, are you?"

"Hagrid, we know he's after the Stone. We just don't know why." I say to him.

"Snape is one of the teachers protecting the Stone! He's not about to steal it!"

"What?" Harry and I question.

"You heard. Right. Come on, now, I'm a bit preoccupied today."

"Wait a minute." I look over and see Fang, Hagrids dog sniffing Ron. "One of the teachers?"

Hermione, sitting in a large chair, "Of course! There are other things defending the Stone, aren't there? Spells, enchantments."

"That's right. Waste of bloody time, if you ask me." Hagrid tells us. Hermione looks at Ron, who is being sniffed in the face by Fang. Ron shuffles away. "Ain't no one gonna get past Fluffy. Hehe, not a soul knows how. Except for me and Dumbledore. I shouldn't have told you that. I shouldn't have told you that." A cauldron over a fire begins to rattle. "Oh!" Hagrid hurries over and grabs something. "Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!" He puts the thing, an egg, on the table. We crowd around.

"Uh, Hagrid, what exactly is that?" I ask him.

"That? It's a ... its um..."

"I know what that is! But Hagrid, how did you get one?" Ron exclaims.

"I won it. Off a stranger I met down at a pub. Seemed quite glad to be rid off it, as a matter of fact."

The egg rattles and cracks. Pieces fly off as a dragon emerges. It squeaks and slips on an egg piece.

"Is that...a dragon?" Hermione asks.

"That's not just a dragon. That's a Norwegian Ridgeback! My brother Charlie works with these in Romania." Ron says proudly.

"Isn't he beautiful? Oh. Bless him, look. He knows his mummy. Hehe. Hallo, Norbert." The dragon squeaks as it looks at Hagrid.

"Norbert?" I question with a raised eyebrow.

"Yeah, well, he's got to have a name, doesn't he?" Ron laughs at the name and Hagrid continues, "Don't you, Norbert?" He raises his fingers back and forth across Norberts chin. Norbert backs away, hiccups and blows a fireball of fire into Hagrid's beard. "Ohh! Oooh, ooh, ooh, well...he'll have to be trained up a bit, of course." Norbert hiccups. Hagrid sees someone looking in the window. "Who's that?" The person scampers away.

"Malfoy." Harry and I say through gritted teeth.

"Oh, dear."

The four of us are walking back through a corridor. An owl screeches.

"Hagrid always wanted a dragon. He told us so the first time we met him." I tell them.

"It's crazy. And worse, Malfoy knows." Ron states.

"I don't understand. Is that bad?" Harry asks.

"It's bad." I say. We stop as McGonagall, in her nightgown, appears.

"Good evening." She says. Malfoy appears smugly beside her.

She directs us into her classroom, and we are standing in front of McGonagall's desk, while Malfoy is feet away, smirking.

"Nothing, I repeat, nothing gives a student the right to walk about the school at night. Therefore, as punishment for your actions, 50 points will be taken."

"50?!" Harry exclaims.

"Each. And to ensure it doesn't happen again, all five of you will receive detention."

Malfoy nods, then his smile vanishes. "Excuse me, Professor. Perhaps I heard you wrong. I thought you said..."the five of us."

"No, you heard me correctly, Mr. Malfoy. You see, as honorable as your intentions were, you too were out of bed after hours. You will serve detention with your classmates."

Harry, Ron and Hermione grin, and Draco sags.