2.6

"See you, Hedwig." Harry says to his owl as he places her next to the other trunks and cages lined up along the walls.

I do the same with Pepper and smile at her. "So, a house elf shows up in our bedroom, we can't get through the barrier to platform nine and three-quarters, we almost get killed by a tree... clearly someone doesn't want us here this year." I tell the boys as we walk up the stairs towards the Great Hall.

Then we're stopped by Filch.

"Well, take a good look lads. This night might well be the last you spend in this castle. Hm. Oh, dear, we are in trouble."

He directs us to Snapes office. The Professor is sitting at his desk with a newspaper in his hand. As we are shoved into the room, we slowly walk towards Professor Snape. He gets up from his chair and walks around, slow with anger in his eyes.

"You were seen by no less than seven Muggles." He holds the Daily Prophet up to our faces and slams it back in his desk. "Do you have any idea how serious this is? You have risked the exposure of our world. Not to mention the damage you inflicted on a Whomping Willow that's been on these grounds since before you were born."

"Honestly, Professor Snape, I think it did more damage to us." Ron tells him. I nudge him in the gut, telling him to shut his mouth before he gets us into more trouble.

"Silence! I assure you, that were you in Slytherin, and your fate rested with me, the both of you would be on the train home- tonight. As it is..."

"They are not." The door to his office opens. Harry, Ron, and I look over.

"Professor Dumbledore. Professor McGonagall." Harry says, happily.

"Headmaster, these children have flouted the Decree for the Restriction of Underage Wizardry. As such--" Snape points his finger at us.

"I am well aware of our bylaws, Severus," Dumbledore puts up his hand to stop him. "having written quite a few of them myself. However, as head of Gryffindor house, it is for Professor McGonagall to determine the appropriate action."

"We'll go and get our stuff, then." Ron mutters and the three of us look to the floor.

"What are you talking about, Mr. Weasley?" She asks, confused.

"You're going to expel us, aren't you?"

"Not today, Mr. Weasley." Our faces lighten up and we smile at each other. "But, I must impress on all three of you the seriousness of what you have done. I will be writing to your families tonight, and you will both receive detention."

We are then directed towards our common room, with everyone else still in the Great Hall.

"Thank Merlin Professor Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall stepped in. If they hadn't, I don't even want to know what Snape would have done to us." I say to the boys.

"I imagine we'd be hung by our thumbs in the dungeons, or be expelled, or worse..." Ron gulps. "Sent to Azkaban."

"Azkaban?" Harry questions.

"A prison for really fowl wizards."

I shiver at the thought. "I need to go to sleep. Almost being killed by a tree really takes a lot out of you." I say, starting to walk up towards the girls dormitories.

"Night, Mia." Harry and Ron tell me.

I get to the room and try to go to sleep, but I just lay there, unable to. I get up and move over to the windowsill, letting Pepper out of her cage. She rests on my finger and I let her lovingly.

"Sorry about today, girl." She squawks at me. "I'll be sure to sneak you a few extra treats tomorrow." She rubs her head against mine.

Then Hermione bursts through the door, scaring Pepper. She then flies off to the Owlery.

"Where have you been?" She asks me. "And what about Harry and Ron?"

"It's kind of a long story." I tell her.

"I'm not tired." She states, settling in on her bed. I move to go sit with her and begin telling her everything that happened from us missing the train, until we were in Snapes office. "You're joking."

"Completely serious." I tell her. "Thank goodness Professor McGonagall stepped in, or we would have been done for."

"For good reason, Mia! You three are bloody idiots!"

"I've already received a terrifying lecture from Snape, I don't need one from you." I tell her, and she lightens her mood a bit.

"I'm just glad you're not expelled." She sighs. "But what were you three thinking?"

"We were thinking that we needed to get to Hogwarts." I tell her. "Because Hogwarts is the only home I've got."

She smiles at me and gives me a hug. "I'm glad you're okay."

"Me too."