4.19

Music is playing and a large crowd is gathered. The champions emerge onto the field.

"Earlier today Professor Moody places the triwizard cup deep within the maze. Only he knows it's exact position. Now as Mr. Diggory and Mr. and Miss Potter..." the crowd cheers upon hearing our names. "Are tied for first place, they will be the first to enter the maze. Followed by Mr. Krum..." the Bulgarian crowd goes nuts. "The first person to touch the cup will be the winner. I've instructed the staff to patrol the perimeter, if at any time should a contestant wish to exit the maze, he or she need only to send up red sparks with their wands. Contestants, gather around."

The five of us stand in a circle around Dumbledore and he begins to speak again.

"In the maze you'll find not dragons or creatures of the deep. Instead you'll face something more challenging. You see, people change in the maze. Oh find the cup if you can, but be very weary. You could just lose yourselves along the way."

"Champions prepare yourselves!" Moody exclaims.

I give Cedric a quick hug and peck on the cheek. "Be careful." He whispers to me.

"You too." I say and take my place next to Harry.

"On the count of three. One..." Dumbledore begins counting, but the canon goes off immediately.

Mr Filch shrugs comically. Dumbledore groans. Harry and I, and Cedric enter the maze through different entrances. The entrance closes up behind us. Heavy mist sets in, we see the maze is many stories tall. Harry  and I start traversing the maze, creature noises are all around.

Harry and I begin to make our way through the maze. When we turn the corner, there are two Acromantulas standing there. They see us and begin to attack. Harry and I point our wands towards them.

"Arania Exumai!" We shout and they are blown back. We see that they are knocked out, so we turn another corner and continue. Trying to get as far away as possible.

At the next corner we come across a mysterious creature. It had the body of an over-large lion. Great clawed paws and a long yellowish tail ending in brown fluff. It's head however was that of a woman. She turned her long, almond shaped eyes upon Harry and I as we approached. The creature is a Sphinx.

"The fastest way is past me. But I will give you a choice. You may turn and keep going, the longer way, or you can play my game."

"What game?" I ask her.

"If you wish to get past, it's simple. All you have to do is answer my riddle. If you choose not to, you may go. But if you chose to do so, and answer correctly, I will let you pass."

"And if we answer incorrectly?" Harry asks.

"I will attack."

"Great, great." Harry looks to me. "Should we do it?"

"This is the shortest way to the cup. The quicker we get there, the quicker it will all be over, Harry."

"So... do you wish to answer my riddle, or will you turn away?" It asks impatiently.

"Lay it on us." I tell it.

"First think of the person who lives in disguise,
Who deals in secrets and tells naught but lies.
Next tell me what always the last thing to mend,
The middle of middle and the end of end?
And finally give me the sound often heard,
During the search for a hard-to-find word.
Now string them together and answer me this,
Which creature would you be unwilling to kiss?"

I think on it for a moment. "A person who lives in disguise, deals in secrets and tells lies.... a spy?"

"Spy sounds good." Harry encourages me.

"Okay, so that's the first part. Okay that last thing to mend, middle of middle, end of end...." I think for a moment. Could it just be the letters in the words? "... the letter D. Thats in the middle of middle and end of end." I say, still thinking. "Let's come back to that one."

"Okay, yeah, alright."

"The final part.... the sound often heard, during the search to a hard to find word." I think for a second. "If the second clue is the letter D, then the last would be the sound -er. Right? That's a sound that's heard in that sentence a lot."

"So spy, D, -er." Harry things for a moment. "Spider?"

"I mean, I wouldn't want to kiss a spider. Especially our encounter with Aragog and his children a few years back." I tell him. Then I turn my head towards the Sphinx. "Is it Spider?"

It nods its head and steps aside. "That was fun, was it not? Perhaps we could do it again sometime?"

We smile at it half heartedly. Then continue on.

Soon after, Harry and I hear a scream of panic. We run along, trying to find whoever it was that screamed. Then we reach Fleur as she's being swallowed by the undergrowth.

"Fleur?" I say, and she's completely out of it. Without hesitation, I raise my wand in the air. "Periculum!"

Red sparks go up and Harry and I continue on. A heavy wind starts blowing, walls are closing in. We run. Harry and I see something shining in the distance and we move towards it. Viktor tries to zap us but misses.

"Get down!" Cedric calls out to me and Harry and AI Duck. Victor gets zapped by Cedric. He then runs up and kicks the wand out of his hand. He points his wand at Viktors body as if to finish him off, but I run up and intervene.

"Stop! He's bewitched Cedric!" I yell and he puts his wand down.

"You're right. Sorry. I'm sorry." He whispers and gives me a hug. "He was just trying to kill you."

"And you saved me." I tell him. "Thank you." I give him a peck on the cheek.

The three of us begin running towards the cup. The undergrowth grabs Cedric and he falls to the ground. Harry and I look back. Cedric is pinned down with no means of escape.

"Harry! Mia!" We turn and Harry zaps the plantlife and Cedric wriggles free. Harry helps him up.

"You know, for a moment there, I thought you were going to let it get me." Cedric tells my brother as I wrap my arms around him.

"For a moment so did I." Harry says and I smack him across the back of his head.

"That'll teach you to think about not saving someone, just because he's my boyfriend!" I yell and the boys laugh. I eventually do to. "Dear Merlin. Some game, huh?"

"Some game." The boys say together. The wind start blowing again and we look to the end of the path in the maze. It's starts closing in on us and we all run for the cup. As we reach it, Cedric looks to us.

"Go on take it! You guys saved me, take it!"

"Together!" I look to both of them. "On three."

"One!" Harry starts counting.

"Two!" Cedric joins in.

"Three!" I shout and the three of us lunge for the cup.