Chapter 29

MATTIA'S POV:

I shook my head as the taxi drove away.

"That was humiliating" said Alejandro quietly. I agreed with him, but he looked upset. It's not like Ale to be upset, he's usually the one who doesn't stop smiling.

"What's up Ale?" I gave him a nudge to get his attention.

He frowned and looked at the ground.

"I just feel like this trip was a bad idea, and I was the one who suggested it so I feel like it's on me" he said.

"Nah bro don't think like that" I gave him a hug. He's my brother, and I wasn't gonna let Kairi's dumbass behaviour ruin his night.

"Apart from Kairi, we're all loving this trip, you're always making us happy, so quit worrying and go party with Vic" I gave him a reassuring smile and his dimples came back to life.

We walked back in and Elena was at the bar. Alejandro went over to Vic and the rest of the boys were partying. I took my chance and went to sit with Elena. She had a worried look on her face.

"Hey" I said softly. She looked up at me and gave me a weak smile. Her eyes were full of sadness, and I felt terrible for her.

"I'm sorry about Kairi" she whispered.

"Elena you really don't have to apologise for him, he knew what he was doing, and even Robert warned him"

She rested her chin on her hand and stared sighed "I know but I can't help but feel like he's doing all of this because of the fact that we're on a break"

I shrugged "maybe it was his coping mechanism?"

She looked at me for a second. I studied her features, her long brown hair fell just below her shoulders, and her eyes were looking right into mine. Before I knew it, she was leaning in, so I started to lean in too. But I couldn't add more fuel to the fire, as much as I wanted her, her head wasn't in the right place for me to kiss her.

I pulled away and thankfully Elena knew why.

"I'm sorry" she said quietly. I put my hand on hers and smiled at her.

"Don't apologise, you know I'd have kissed you if none of this drama was happening"

She blushed, which made me laugh.

"I love how I still make you shy" I smirked.

"Quit it Mattia" she smiled, taking her hand back. It'd been a while since I'd seen her actually smile. I missed it, but I was glad it was back.

"Aye Mattia come on" shouted Alejandro from the dance floor. I turned around to look at them and "no idea" had started playing, which was one of our favourite songs, so I had to go dance with them.

"You good on your own?" I asked Elena.

"Go dance with them" she smiled. I leaned forward, placing my hand on her waist and kissed her cheek. She smelled of watermelons and I felt her dimples form on my lips as I kissed her. I pulled away and smirked at her, she was bright red but had a grin on her face.

"Only if you join us" I took her hand, but she shook her head.

"I'm good here right now" she said softly. I nodded and let go of her hand to go join the boys.

We'd been dancing for a half hour when we heard the ambulance pull up. There was a huge crowd by the bar and I ran over to see what had happened. I made my way to the front of the crowd with the boys behind me. Elena was lying there. Lifeless. Her face had lost it's colour, and they were performing emergency CPR on her.

I felt the lump in my throat and felt anger fill my body. I knelt down next to the paramedic and looked at her vulnerable body.

"Will she be okay?" I said, in between tears.

"We're doing our best sir" said the paramedic.

I put my head in my hands and cried till it hurt. How could I have let this happen? I took my eyes off her for one second and this happens? And the fact that Kairi is probably sleeping away all his problems right now whilst the "love of his life" is here fighting for her life. I fucking hate how he has this so easy.

Alejandro came forward and put a hand on my shoulder.

"Do you know what happened?" He asked the medic.

"We're still unsure but it seems like some kind of poison, but I need this crowd to disappear because the girl needs space"

My eyes widened and I felt like my heart stopped. Poison. Who the fuck would've tried to poison Elena? Alvaro's uncle started to tell everyone to leave, but I couldn't comprehend anything anyone was saying cause of how scared I was. What if she died right here? I took her hand and held it tight.

"Elena please, please wake up now, come on please" I cried, I raised her hand up and kissed it whilst looking at the colour draining from her face, more and more by the second. 

The medic gave me a sad look and continued to try and resuscitate her.

Someone handed me a tissue and I reached up to get it and wiped my eyes.

"Thank you"

"You're welcome" said a voice which was too familiar.

I looked up and there was the son of a bitch.

Hector.