Chapter 81

ELENA'S POV:

We pulled up at the McDonald's drive thru, since Mattia kept whining about how hungry he was. Alejandro had bought the car, and then headed back home to Vic's place.

"Babygirl you hungry?" he asked as we pulled into the notoriously famous fast food joint. I shook my head and let him order. I looked at the time.

5:45am.

Mattia had placed his order and drove to the next stop.

"Mattia can't we just go home?" I yawned, sinking into the leather seats. He laughed quietly as he reached over to get his food.

"You're going home in a few days, I'm not wasting any time sleeping" he said, thanking the worker. My stomach twisted a little when he mentioned going back to England. And as if that wasn't bad enough, he referred to it as my "home".

"This is my home" I said sternly. He took ahold of my hand, keeping his free hand on the wheel.

"England is just.." my voice trailed off as I tried to find the right word.

"Temporary?" Mattia suggested, glancing over at me. I nodded in agreement.

Or at least, I hoped it was.

MATTIA'S POV:

I'd planned the perfect surprise for Elena. I'd been working on it before she left for England. And it should've happened a long time ago, but she had to leave.

I pulled up at Ocean Beach. One of New Jersey's most well known spots, and I saw Elena's eyes light up when she realised where we were.

"Why are we at Ocean Beach?" she said, looking ahead in awe. I chuckled at how she had no idea what was coming next. Without saying anything, I grabbed my McDonald's and got out the car. She followed me and linked her arm in mine, causing butterflies to set in my stomach.

We walked down the steps and Elena slipped off her shoes before we hit the sand. Luckily, the beach was empty since it was so early, but that's how I liked it. I took off my jacket and laid it out for Elena. She took a seat on the warm sand and I sat next to her, placing my hand on her lower back.

"This is so beautiful" she whispered, resting her head on my shoulder.

"You're beautiful" I replied, I kissed her head softly as the sunrise was coming up.

I reached for my McDonald's bag whilst Elena watched the sunrise. Keeping an arm around her, I used my free arm to unwrap the burger and ate it quickly. The butterflies in my stomach had been replaced by nerves, and I felt increasingly anxious with every bite I took.

"I don't wanna go back, Mattia" said Elena as I finished my burger.

"Then don't" I leaned back and propped myself up on my elbows. She looked at me and shook her head.

"Holy shit why didn't I think of that?" she said sarcastically. I rolled my eyes and pulled her onto me, so she was laying on my chest.

"What do you expect me to say?" I said, kissing her nose.

"I don't know, I just wish it didn't have to be like this" she answered. She reached over and picked up a fry out of my food. I narrowed my eyes playfully at her as she ate it.

"What?" she flashed me an innocent smile.

"I thought you weren't hungry" I reminded her of what she said in the car and her lips curved upwards.

"I said 'babygirl you hungry' and you said no"

"Well I'm hungry now, so shut up and let me eat"

"Oh she mad when she hungry, huh?" I said, raising my eyebrows at her as she continued to eat my food.
I left her to it and looked behind us. I saw families were starting to come onto the beach and it was due to get pretty busy soon. So I decided now was my chance, whilst it was still tranquil.

I placed my arms around Elena and stood up with her still clinging onto me.

"Oh my God Mattia" she gasped, tightly wrapping her arms around my neck, and her legs around my waist.

"What?" I gave her the same innocent smile she gave me earlier and she blushed a bright red. Holding onto her, I walked over so we were closer to the water and gently set her down.

"What's going on?" she asked, shielding her eyes from the sun. I took a deep breath and and held both of her hands. I was shaking slightly but I tried to compose myself.

"The real reason I decided to bring you here was because I need to ask you something" I started.

"You have bought so much happiness into my life, and everything is just so much more better when I'm with you. You've bought out a side to me which no one else has seen before, and honestly, I wouldn't want to spend the rest of my life with anyone else. I love you Elena, with everything I have and more"

"I love you too" she smiled, wiping her eyes.

"And ever since we've gotten back together, I felt like I haven't made it clear about what we are. So, I wanted to ask you again"

She threw her head back and laughed when she realised what I was about to ask her, and I couldn't contain my excitement, as I held onto her hands.

"Elena Hill, will you be be my girlfriend?"

I held my breath, waiting for her answer, knowing what happened the last time I asked her. But a warm feeling went off in my heart, somehow reassuring me that this time we'd be okay.

"Yes!" She squealed, jumping into my arms and meeting her lips with mine. I kissed her back, placing my hand on the back of her head and felt her smile against my lips. She pulled away ever so slightly, so that out faces were just inches apart.

"A thousand times yes, Mattia Polibio."

THE END