Chapter 50

ELENA'S POV:

I felt my heartbeat quicken and held onto the countertop to steady myself. Mattia rushed over to me and placed his hand on my lower back to support me. I caught my breath, and tried to act normal for Mom.

"Hey Ma" I said, causing her to face me.

"Yes?" She said, looking at Mattia and I.

"W-What's on your shoulder?" I asked nervously.

She smiled and shrugged "I went for a blood test"

I looked at Mattia, and he shook his head. I took a step closer to Mom.

"But they inject your arm, it's never your shoulder" I said, taking a closer look at the bruise. It was a purple colour and looked like it was fresh. I felt sick.

She blatantly dismissed what I said, and began setting the table. I stayed next to Mattia and we observed her as she hurriedly got everything ready.

"Why are you rushing so much?" I asked, she didn't even look at me when she answered.

"I'm not Elena, why are you asking so many questions today, I can't catch a break with you" she said, throwing her arms in the air. With every second that passed, I was slowly becoming more and more worried about her.

Mike entered the room and smiled at Mattia and I. I didn't smile back, but Mattia's heart was too kind not smile back.

"You must be Mattia, I'm Mike" he said. He pronounced Mattia's name wrong, which only made me hate him more. He put out his hand for a handshake. Mattia extended his arm but I lowered it quickly.

"He's heard about you" I said, causing Mike to glare at me. I narrowed my eyes at him and he took his seat. Mom was watching us like a hawk. I took Mattia's hand and lead him into the hallway, closing the door behind us.

"Babe that was kinda cold" he said, taking my hand.

"Cold? Mattia there's a possibility he harmed my Mom, and you think I'm about to sit here and allow it?" I whisper shouted.

"There's a possibility. We don't know for sure what happened yet" he replied, stroking my hands with his thumbs. That always calmed me down. I took a few breaths and looked towards the kitchen.

"Okay, lets just get this over with" I said, composing myself. Mattia pulled me in for a hug and kissed my head.

"That's my girl" he whispered, taking my hand. We walked into the kitchen to see my Mom and Mike sat at the table. I took at seat next to Mom, and Mattia was next to Mike. The tension was unbearable. Mattia reached over from his side and took my hand in his, which set off the butterflies.

Silence filled the air, before Mike cleared his throat.

"You're looking beautiful tonight Leanne" he said, smiling my Mom. How was I supposed to sit through this without throwing up?

"So did you hear about Mom's blood test" I said loudly, causing Mike to look at me. He slowly nodded his head.

"Yeah I did Elena, they did it in her shoulder right?" he said, his voice made me want to scratch my own eyeballs out.

"Whatever" I said, eating my food.

The rest of the meal was silent and nothing else was said. The silence was icy and made everything so uncomfortable.

"So Mattia, how long have you been dating Elena?" asked Mike.

"For around 4 months" he answered, smiling at me.

"4 months? That's pretty long" Mike exaggerated on the "4" purposely, causing Mattia to look at him in a questionable way.

"Yep, four months" repeated Mattia, nodding his head awkwardly.

"What are you implying?" I asked, looking straight into his emotionless eyes.

He shrugged and went back to his food.

"Just a long time" he said quietly. I felt
Mattia squeeze my hand gently, signalling for me to hold back. I bit my lip to stop myself from giving Mike the reaction he wanted.

We finished eating, after what felt like hours, and Mattia and I helped clean up.

"Ma we'll be in my room" I said, taking Mattia's hand.

"Okay Mija" she said, opening a bottle of wine, as Mike got out two glasses. I rolled my eyes, and Mattia lead me out of the kitchen.

We entered the hallway and Mattia turned to me with an irritated look on his face.

"Elena I don't like him" he said. He never called me Elena unless it was serious.

"No shit, welcome to the club" I sighed.

"He touched your Ma, it's so fucking obvious" he said, raising his tone. I placed my hands on either sides of his face and made him look at me.

"Baby don't let them hear you, but yeah, you're right" I said, feeling defeated. I sat on the bottom step and put my head in my hands. Mattia came and joined me and I rested my head on his shoulder.

"I don't know what to do" I whispered. He held me closer and wrapped his arms around me.

"We'll figure it out baby, I promise I'm not letting you handle this on your own" he whispered back, kissing my head.

Just then, we heard a smash from the kitchen.

A/N: THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 3K, I CANT BELIEVE HOW FAST WE'RE GROWING!! I HOPE YOU'RE ENJOYING THE STORY, THANK YOU SO MUCH!! 4K SOON COME💛