Chapter 64

MATTIA'S POV:

I pulled on my shinpads ahead of tonight's soccer game. Elena was meant to come but her Mom wanted her home straight away. We found out her Dad had been fined $4000 for assault, but they didn't put him in prison because he had a good lawyer. Mike, on the other hand, received 24 years for domestic abuse. At least one good thing came out of the hearing. But that still didn't make Elena potentially leaving any better.

We walked out onto the field, and sure enough there was an empty seat next to Vic, who looked more downcast than ever.

"Mattia come on!" shouted Alejandro from across the field. The boys were all warming up on our end of the field, but I was still stood near the stands. I briskly jogged over to them and we started drills.

"You good?" said Alvaro, he looked concerned. I nodded without saying anything. I tried to focus on the boys but my mind kept drifting to Elena. What was she doing? Was she okay? Did she need me?

"Polibio! Get into position!" yelled my coach, snapping me back to reality. He was pointing behind me and I looked around to see everyone had got into position, and they were waiting for me. Shit. I apologised and ran to my place.

The game started and usually I was all over the field. Scoring goals, defending, whatever you want. But today was different. The fact that I was about to lose one of the most important people in my life, probably the most important, was crushing me. I couldn't focus on the game at all.

Alejandro passed the ball to me, and I meant to pass it to our teammate Pinto, but it went to the opposition again. I heard the crowd groan in disappointment and I hung my head in shame. Coach subbed me off for Robert and I started walking off the field.

"What's wrong with you Polibio? You ain't sleep last night?" asked coach, eyeing me suspiciously.

"Something like that" I shrugged, going to sit in the bleachers.

Vic called me next to her so I made my way up the stands.

"Are you okay?" she asked quietly. And I couldn't hold it in anymore. I broke down, right there infront of half our school. I held my head in my hands and wept as Vic wrapped her arm around me.

"She can't fucking leave me Vic, she can't" I cried, looking at her eyes slowly filling with tears. She composed herself though, and put on a brave face.

"I know Mattia, I hate this as much as you do" she said, looking out onto the field.

"What if she needs me right now? I mean I'm not even there for her" I complained. I wiped the tears but my eyes instantly heated up again.

"Hey" said Vic, nudging me.

"You have been so good to Elena, she deserves the world and that's exactly what you've given her from day one, so don't ever think you're a bad boyfriend, because I know for a fact that she's never been happier with anyone else"

I gave Vic a weak smile as our team scored a goal.
The crowd erupted in cheers but I stayed in my seat.

"Thanks, I needed that badly" I said to Vic. She smiled and patted my hand softly.

"Go get your girl already" she said, and she didn't need to tell me twice.

I stood up and headed to the locker rooms. I had no idea how long Elena had left. But there was no way I was spending another second away from her.

A/N: I'm sorry this chapter is so short😔, I promise the next one finna slap, and thank you so much for 8K 🥺I didn't even get chance to say thank you for 7K, y'all are quick, ilysm🥺🥺🥳🥰💛