Chapter 57

ELENA'S POV:

I put my hair up in a messy bun and decided to stay in my night wear. I didn't have any plans today, if anything I just had homework to get done. I walked downstairs and I could hear my parents talking in the kitchen.

"I'm not letting you do this" said my Mom. What was she talking about? I didn't hear my Dad's response but a part of me didn't want to know what was going on. I looked at my phone.

Mattia❤️: Morning Amor, I'll be over in 5

I smiled knowing he was coming over, but then my anxiety went up knowing Dad would find out. He was already angry about the whole Mike situation. Mike. I rushed over to the front door and looked through the peephole. Sure enough he was sat on our lawn. Why couldn't he just leave? There was no way he was getting back into our house with Dad here. But what if Dad left? I shuddered and pushed the thought of Dad leaving to the back of my head.

I walked into the kitchen and they were both sat at the table. Dad smiled at me but Mom kept her head down. I assumed she was still mad at me.

"Morning honey, have something to eat" he said, pointing over to the countertop. There were chocolate covered pancakes and chocolate milk. I grinned from ear to ear, Dad always knew they were my childhood favourite.

"Thanks Papa" I said, going over to hug him. I looked at Mom over his shoulder. Her worry lines on her forehead had just gotten worse from last night. Did she even sleep?

"Hey Mom" I said cautiously.

"Morning baby" she said. She didn't even look up at me, and her kept her lips in a straight, thin line. I sat down at the table with my food. There were 3 passports, and a map.

"What's going on?" I asked. Dad looked at my Mom who shook her head.

"We're checking to see when then the passports expire" said Dad, collecting them all together and folding away the map. I heard the doorbell and suddenly I wasn't so hungry anymore.

"I'll get it" said Dad, standing up. I shot up and beat him to the door.

"No I will" I said quickly, Mom bit her lip, she knew it was Mattia, and felt the same way I did about Dad finding out.

"Uh, okay then" said Dad, going to sit back down. I walked to the door slowly and opened it. Except it wasn't Mattia.

"Ma'am please step aside" said the first officer. There were two police officers. Both extremely tall, and intimidating. I felt my stomach drop and stepped aside. They marched into the kitchen and I followed swiftly behind them. Mom and Dad looked confused and Dad stood up, and put an arm on Mom's shoulder. She looked petrified.

"Officer what's going on?" asked Dad, he was clearly scared too, but he was good at hiding his emotions. One of the officers stayed at the door with me and the other walked over to my parents.

"Are you Hunter Edwards?" he asked. There was no emotion on his face.

Dad nodded slowly trying to figure out what was going on.

"I am" he said. The officer took out his handcuffs.

"Wait what's going-" started Mom.

"Ma'am it's best if you stay out of this" he said, pulling Dad to one side.

"Leanne don't" whispered Dad, obediently putting his hands behind his back. Mom covered her mouth and tears fell down her cheeks.

"Mr Edwards you're being charged with the assault of Mike Brookes, anything you do or say will be held against you in the court of law" instructed the officer.

My eyes widened. Mike had called the cops on my Dad. I could scream. Dads shook his head and refrained from saying anything.

"He didn't do it!" I yelled, running over and trying to push the officer away from him. But the second officer had held me back before I could reach Dad.

"Let me talk to my kid" said Dad calmly. I don't know how he wasn't freaking out.

The officer nodded and I ran over to Dad.

"5 minutes" he said, removing the cuffs, and going to stand outside with the his partner.

Dad wrapped guys arms tightly around me, and I cried into his shoulder.

"Heyyy" whispered Dad, wiping away my tears.

"But Dad you didn't do anything" I wept. He tilted my chin up and looked at me, frowning a little.

"And I'm going to make sure they know that" he said. I looked over at Mom with anger running through me.

"This is all your fault" I said, with clenched fists.
"If you'd have just let me call the police, none of this would've happened"

Mom didn't say anything back, she just kept crying and looking at the ground.

"Elena" said Dad sternly "your Mom isn't to blame for this mess, I need you to look after her while I'm gone"

I felt my eyes well up again.

"How long will you be gone?" I said, my voice cracking up. Dad smiled and took my hands in his.

"I'll be back before you and Mattia get married" he winked. I let out a little gasp and looked at Mom.

"How do you know about Mattia?" I said in amazement. Dad chuckled to himself and wiped away my tears again.

"I figured it out baby" he said. The officers came back in and looked at Dad. Any feelings of happiness I had in the last 5 minutes had been replaced by the familiar feeling of terror.

"Daddy don't go" I whispered, clutching onto his shirt, but he gently took my hand and moved it away.

"I'll be back soon Elena" he kissed my cheek and stood up. The officer came over and put the handcuffs on him, leading him towards the door. Mom came over and pulled me close but I shook her off and ran after Dad.

"Daddy!" I called, but it was a futile attempt. By the time I'd reached outside they were already putting him in the car, and Mike was nowhere to be seen. I held onto the doorframe for balance, but I couldn't stop the tears travelling down my face.

"I love you" Dad mouthed through the tinted windows. I tried to say it back but he was already gone.