Chapter 59

KAIRI'S POV:

"Kairi we're gonna be late" I heard someone say. I forced my eyes open to see Vic stood in front of me.

"How are you still sleeping?" she said, folding her arms. She was wearing Alejandro's hoodie with black jeans.

"What?" I said, still trying to make sense of everything going on. Vic came over to me and pulled the duvet off me, exposing my new Spider-Man pyjamas Mom had bought me for Christmas.

"That's cute Kai" laughed Vic. I rolled my eyes and got out of bed. I looked at the clock.

7:30am.

"I'll be out in 10 minutes, go wait with Alejandro" I said, and she left the room.

I sighed and went over to my wardrobe. I'd given up on looking decent in school since I had no one to impress. The only girl I would've wanted to impress was no longer mine. I yawned and threw on the first items of clothing I could find. After I washed my face I went downstairs.

"Kairi come have breakfast" called my Mom. But my appetite was gone. It had disappeared over the past couple days. I wasn't eating or sleeping properly. My health altogether had just gone downhill since the whole Vegas trip. I know everyone else had gotten over it but it by far had the worst impact on me.

"I'm good Mom, I'll eat later" I said, quickly leaving the house before she could object. I got in the backseat of Alejandro's car and we headed to school.

"So how's things with you and Elena?" Vic asked, turning to face me. I shrugged, not really knowing what to say.

"Okay I guess" I mumbled.

"Have you heard from her recently? She's been really quiet" Alejandro asked Vic, but she shook her head.

"What? Is she okay?" I asked, leaning forward. Vic looked uncomfortable and Alejandro looked over at her.

"What is it?" he asked her. She put her hands together and looked down.

"I think her Dad got arrested last night" she said quietly. Her Dad? Arrested?

"Wait how do you know?" I said, before I started jumping to conclusions.

"My Dad works as a prison guard, and he saw them bring him into the station late last night" she explained.

"Shit I hope she's okay" said Alejandro.

"So do I" Vic and I said in unison. I wondered whether I should go to Elena's place before school to check on her. But I guess she had Mattia for that now. What use was I to her anymore?

MATTIA'S POV:

I was eating breakfast at Elena's place whilst she was getting ready upstairs. We decided to skip school, and instead go visit her Dad.

Ms Hill came downstairs, dressed in smart clothes and her hair pulled back into a sleek bun. Her dark circles were no longer visible due to the makeup. She smiled at me. But it wasn't her normal smile. Almost as if she were hiding something. Something she knew would cause harm.

"Good morning Mattia" she said, fumbling through the cabinets to find her keys.

"Good morning" I said, plastering a smile on my face. Eventually she found her keys and came over to the table.

"Do you want me to make you breakfast?" I asked her. She quickly shook her head.

"N-no I'm good for now" she stammered, looking at her watch. I gently placed my hand on hers, making her stop and look at me. Her skin was freezing cold.

"What's wrong Ma" I said, rubbing her hand to warm it up. It started shaking and she pulled it back and gestured towards my breakfast.

"You should eat" she said, but I saw tears form in her eyes.

"I'll eat if you tell me what's wrong?" I suggested, making her smile.

"Everything is fine honey, I'm just a little nervous" she said. She looked towards the counter and I followed her eyes in the same direction. She was looking at a bag, and I could see the passports in it. I got a bad gut feeling.

"Ms Hill?" I said cautiously, as a tear escaped her eye and slid down her cheek. She wiped it away quickly and stood up.

"Now I've messed up my makeup" she said, forcing a laugh. She quickly walked out the room before I could get another word on edgeways, leaving me alone with my unanswered questions.

I turned and looked at the bag. Without hesitation, I put my breakfast aside and went over to see what the hell was inside of it. There were three passports. Elena, Hunter and Leanne. Then I saw three slips of paper. I wearily picked them up and tried to process what was written on them. They were plane tickets to England. Then my blood turned to ice.

One way tickets.

They were moving. It all made sense now. That's why Elena's Dad came back. And if he hadn't been arrested yesterday, they would've gone by now. My vision was starting to go cloudy because of the fresh tears. I heard Elena coming downstairs and put everything back into place as fast as I could. I took my seat at the table, and wiped my eyes before continuing with my breakfast which had turned stone cold. She entered the kitchen wearing a pastel blue cropped hoodie, and white jeans. She saw me and gave me a vibrant smile.

"Hey baby" she said, walking over and covering my face in kisses. Her watermelon scent took over my lungs as she wrapped her arms around me. I pulled her onto my lap and buried my head in her neck.

"I love you" I whispered, wrapping my arms around her waist. She kissed my head tilted my chin up so I was looking at her.

"Are you okay?" She said, frowning a little. I gave her a reassuring grin and planted a soft kiss on her lips.

"I'm great babygirl" I said, flinching at the lip gloss which was now on my lips. She laughed and wiped it off.

"Guys let's go" called Ms Hill from the hallway. We stood up and I took Elena's hand.

"You ready?" I said, turning back to look at her. She gave me a confident nod and took a deep breath.

"As long I've got you" she said, holding onto my hand a little tighter than usual.

"That's my girl" I said, kissing her forehead and leading her out into the hallway.

No one could predict what was about to happen today.