Chapter 58

ELENA'S POV:

I sat on the curb as the car drove away. My eyes were puffy and itchy. Mom came out and sat next to me.

"What are we meant to do now?" I said, looking in the direction the police car went, as if it might miraculously come back.

"I know this is horrible Elena, but imagine how your Dad feels" she said, placing her arm around me.

"We have to stay strong for him Mija"

I nodded, putting my head on her shoulder. I really thought we could finally be a family again, and now this happens. This pain was something else.

Mattia's car pulled up, and he came over to us with McDonald's breakfast. He had a smile on his face but it quickly disappeared when he saw how distraught I was.

"Baby what happened?" he said, sitting next to me. I looked over at him and Mom patted my shoulder.

"I'll let you guys talk" she kissed my head and smiled at Mattia, before heading inside. Mattia pulled me in and rested his head on mine.  I told him everything that'd happened and he was just as upset as me.

"So why were the passports out?" he asked. I shrugged and remembered how quickly Dad had put them away when I asked about them.

"I don't know yet" I said, closing my eyes.

"I mean they said something about expiring dates but I just don't know anymore" I sighed. It was getting cold outside and I shivers kept going down my spine. Mattia looked at me and took off his hoodie.

"Put this on baby" he said, offering me it. I smiled pulled it on, instantly feeling warmer.  Mattia picked up the McDonald's bag and stood up. He held out his hand. I took it and stood up beside him.

"Let's go eat something, and then we're gonna nap, cause you don't deserve any of this" he said, softly kissing my cheek. I smiled and put my arms out.

"Carry me?" I pouted, and he placed the bag in my arms.

"You got it princess" he smiled, carefully picking me up and walking inside.

We went up to my room and got into bed. I didn't hear Mom downstairs, so I guess she was in her room too. Mattia took out the food, and thankfully it was still warm.

"You didn't have to do this" I said quietly. He looked up at me and smiled.

"I wanted to" he said, leaning over and kissing me softly. I kissed him back.

"You taste like fries" I laughed, opening the box of chicken nuggets.

"Quit whining, you love it really" he smirked at me.

God, I was so in love with this boy. 

"I love you" I said, and Mattia went red.

"I still get butterflies when you say that" he said, rolling his eyes. I smiled when he blushed.

We finished up eating and I got into bed properly. Mattia cuddled up next to me, playing the big spoon as usual. He moved my hair aside and kissed the back of my neck.

"I love you so much Elena" he murmured. I smiled and held his hand which was originally around my waist.

"I really wish my Dad had met you. He'd have loved you" I said, turning to face him.

"I'll meet him when he's back baby" he said, closing his eyes. I looked up at him. Even when he did nothing, I was still so in love with him.

"If he's back" I mumbled, tracing the lines on his      t-shirt. His eyes snapped open and he tilted my chin up so he could look me in the eyes.

"He will come back Elena" he said firmly.

I snuggled up into his chest and he tightly wrapped his arms around me.

"Everything's going to be okay Amor" he whispered.

But I swear I heard a hint of uncertainty in his voice.

A/N: thank you for 5K 🥺 Everytime I see a notif on my story it literally makes my day, ily all so much 💕💛