Chapter 60

ELENA'S POV:

We arrived at the station for 11am sharp. They weren't allowed to take Dad to prison unless he was found guilty. And he was anything but guilty. Mom lead us into the station and Mattia and I followed.

The walls were all grey inside, the officers' intimidating stares made me even more insecure than I already was. All I wanted to do was run back home but I had to be here for my Dad. I took a few deep breaths and tried to compose myself. The guard at the front desk instructed another guard to take us to Block 35. The guard had a blank expression on his face as he took the order. We walked through the corridors which were narrow and the scent of body odour filled the air. It was so strong I had to place my hand over my nose and mouth to refrain from throwing up. The white washed walls sent shivers down my spine. Knowing that Dad was living in these monstrous conditions, for something he didn't even do, hurt me in a million ways.

We reached the cell and the guard unhooked a keychain attached to his belt. There were numerous keys on it, but he knew exactly which one fit the lock. He took ahold of the rusty, copper key and turned to us.

"Your conversations will be recorded, you will have 20 minutes" he said bluntly, turning the key in the lock. Mattia let go of my hand and placed it on my back. I looked up at him, my anxiety setting in.

"Y-you have to come in" I said quickly, trying to hold his hand again. But he shook his head, and placed my hand in my Mom's hand instead.

"I'll come in after you guys are finished talking. You deserve this time with your Dad" he said, gently pushing me towards my Mom. His eyes were sad, and he was avoiding my gaze.

"What's going on?" I said, there was so much tension in the air and I felt my breathing quicken.

"I'll let your Dad explain" said Mom, there was a hint of anger in her voice. Mattia turned away from me and went to stand against the wall.

The guard opened the door and I saw Dad sat on the bed. Or what I assumed was meant to be a bed.

"Elena!" he said, opening his arms. I walked over to him slowly, tears building up in both our eyes. I didn't know what was going on, but I just wanted it to be over already. I fell into his arms and heard the door shut behind us.

"I've missed you so much sweetie" he said, stroking my hair. He still had his familiar scent which meant he hadn't been here long enough to be engulfed in the horrors of this place.

"I've missed you too Dad" I said, taking a seat next to him. Mom pulled up a chair opposite us and took a seat.

"How are you?" she asked, observing him carefully. He shrugged and put his arm around me. 

"I'm fine, what's the worst that'll happen to me huh?" he said, winking at me. I smiled but Mom kept the same emotionless look on her face.

"Tell her Hunter" she said, looking straight at Dad. His expression had turned from happy to serious in a matter of seconds. That was so unlike him.

"I thought you would've" he said, looking at the ground.

"No, I just thought it'd be better coming from her Daddy" Mom replied, becoming frustrated. Dad turned to me and took both my hands in his. He bit his lip before speaking and Mom took a sharp intake of breath. I felt butterflies appear in my stomach. And no, not the good kind.

"Elena we're moving to England"

I felt my heart stop for almost a second. I could only stare at him, I wanted to say something but no words came out. I felt rooted to the bed, as if my bottom half was simply becoming paralysed. 

"Elena please say something" I heard my Mom say. But I didn't move a muscle in my face. I wanted to wake up and for this to all be a bad dream. I couldn't comprehend what was going on around me. It was almost as if time was slowing down.

"No" I said, still looking my Dad in the eyes. He sighed and shook his head.

"Elena, you don't really have a ch-"

"NO" I screamed, standing up. Tears streamed down my face as I covered my mouth with my hand. I backed up against the wall and looked at them both as if they were insane.

"I told you this would happen" said Mom quietly. Dad shot her an annoyed glare and looked back at me.

"Elena it's for your benefit" he argued, but I didn't want to hear any of his bullshit. I tried to block it out.

"That's all you came back for" I said, gasping for air.

"No I-"

"Why would I want to move?" I cried, running my hands through my hair "my whole life is here, the love of my life is here, all my friends are here"

"Okay but Elena a fresh start may be good for you" he said, looking at my Mom for support. But she shook her head and looked at the ground.

"Let me out" I said coldly.

"But our time isn't-"

"I said let me out!" I yelled hysterically, pulling on the handle of the door.

"Elena stop!" shouted my Mom, as they both stood up and tried to pry me from the door. But the guard had already opened it and I freed myself from their grasp. Mattia looked in my direction with red eyes.

He knew.

"You knew too" I sobbed as he rushed over to me and pulled me in. He held onto me tight and I felt his body shaking against mine.

"I wanted to tell you baby, I swear I did" he wept, holding me close to his chest. I could hear his heart, and it was going fast.

The mere thought of me not being able to sleep in his arms every night, because he was thousands of miles away from me made my heart heavy.