Chapter 56

ELENA'S POV:

He was dressed in his suit and tie, and his Bentley was shimmering in the moonlight. Mom looked too, but she became furious.

"What the fuck is he doing here" she hissed.

"Let's go find out" I said eagerly. I ran downstairs, with adrenaline rushing through my body. I fumbled through the drawers, looking for the key, and quickly opened the front door.

"Dad!" I squealed, jumping into his arms.

"Elena!" he said, with the same energy that I had. He wrapped his arms around me and spun me around. Just like when I was a little girl. He set me on the ground, and kneeled down so he was my height. My dad was a tall man, and he looked up at me with sad eyes.

"Honey I'm sorry I haven't been here for you" he said, choking back tears.

"Daddy you're here now, and that's all that matters" I said, patting his shoulders. He smiled and kissed my cheek.

My dad was never a bad person. The reason him and Mom divorced was because they never got on. There was no communication. Most couples get on like a house on fire, except my parents. They were constantly at each other's throats. But Dad never laid a finger on Mom. And she never touched a hair on his head. Despite their differences, their love for me was unconditional, even if they hated each other. Mom told me there was a time when they were in love, I just can't remember it. I was 7 when they filed for a divorce. I can't recall much of it, all I remember was seeing Mom and Dad cry a lot. Dad's a lawyer, so I thought it'd be pretty easy for him to gain custody over me instead of Mom. But Mom played the "victim" card, and the judge gave in. And then, I never saw my Dad again. A part of me had always loathed Mom for keeping me hidden away from him, when he always had nothing but good intentions.

I knew Mom wasn't going to let me call the police. So I heard from one of Dad's friends that he was in town. Details were exchanged and here he was. If this won't stop Mike, I don't know what will.

"I came straight from work, I don't always dress this fancy you know" he joked, pulling me in for a hug.

"I'm so happy you're here Papa" I said, resting my head on his shoulder.

"Get the fuck away from her Hunter" yelled my Mom from the doorway. I pulled away quickly and Dad stood up.

"Leanne, in case you forgot, she's my daughter too" he said calmly. Mike came out from behind Mom, swinging his vodka bottle in the air and walking lopsided. I sighed and put my head in my hands, I don't know what I felt more, shame or embarrassment.

"Who's that" my Dad whispered. I held onto his hand. Even though I was 16, I felt like I was 7 again. I felt like I was the happy, little girl, holding onto my Daddy's hand, where nothing could harm me.

"That's Mike. Mom's new boyfriend" I whispered, as Mom tried to control him. Dad raised his eyebrows.

"Boyfriend? Do you like him?" he asked, looking down at me. I shook my head immediately and looked at my Mom. I felt my eyes heat up as I held onto dads hand tighter.

"He hurts Mom" I said, a tear falling down my cheek. I felt Dad's hand tense up and I looked up at him. He looked outraged by what I'd just said.

"Don't cry baby, we're gonna get through this" he said wiping my tears. Then, he took my hand and walked over to the house. Mike came out the house and started walking over to my Dad.

"Gett the fuck awayyy" he shouted. He spilled alcohol as he approached us and my dad put his arm in front of me.

"Don't do this Mike" pleaded Mom, but it was no use. He was too drunk to hear anyone else. He came near to us, and the familiar scent of alcohol hit me hard. Dad reached out and tried to snatch the bottle out of his grasp, but Mike leapt backwards.

"You can't touchh me" he said, howling with laughter. It sent shivers down my spine and I moved closer to Dad.

"I'm Hunter" sad Dad, offering his hand to Mike. Mike examined Dad's hand before shrugging his shoulders. He reached out and shook my Dad's hand. But Dad jerked his arm back causing Mike to fall on the floor.

Mike was too drunk to realise what had just happened, and smiled up at Dad. He grazed his chin, and there were other cuts on his face.

Dad kneeled down to Mike.

"Don't you ever touch my wife again" he threatened him, and took my hand and we went inside the house. He locked the door and I stood between Mom and Dad.

"You can't just leave him on the street out there!" said Mom, trying to open the door. But Dad stopped her and kept the key.

"I can, and I will" said Dad, taking his coat off.

"How dare you just waltz into my house and-"

"No Leanne" interrupted Dad "how dare you allow a man like that to live under the same roof as our daughter"

"Guys shut up" I said loudly, causing both of them to stop and stare at me. It was all getting too much by this point.

"I-I called Dad here" I admitted, causing Mom to look at me as if I'd just killed someone.

"How could you?" She asked in disbelief. I looked at the ground.

"How else were we gonna get rid of Mike?" I said quietly. Mom shook her head and looked at me, then at Dad.

"He just needs a chance-" she started.

"You gave him a chance and he gave you a black eye" I said bluntly. Dad let out a small gasp when he realised there was a bruise around Mom's eye. 

"What's next? It was only so long until he'd start hitting me" I said, causing her to pull me into a hug.

"Stop Elena, don't speak like that" she said, holding me tight. I sighed and pulled away.

"She has a point Leanne" said Dad softly. Mom nodded and walked into the living room. I looked at Dad and he frowned.

"She seems different now" he sighed, his eyes following her as she walked away.

"That's one way to put it" I said. I thought about Mattia, and whether I should tell Dad about him. But he looked as exhausted as Mom was. I looked at the clock and it was coming up to 11pm.

"I think I'm gonna sleep" I yawned. Dad kissed my head.

"Goodnight amor" he said. I didn't choose to say goodnight to Mom, she was probably still annoyed with me.

I headed upstairs and changed into my nightwear. I looked outside and saw Mike lying on the curb, fast asleep. I almost felt bad. I closed the curtains and got into bed. I wondered whether I should message Kairi to check up on him. Even though he was acting weird with me, I was still thinking about him. I looked at my phone and he was online. I sighed. It was late. I'd probably end up saying the wrong thing. I turned my phone off and placed it under my pillow.

I've had enough drama for one day.