Chapter 38

ELENA'S POV:

"Elenaaa" said Mattia, waving his hand at me. I snapped out of my daydream and looked at him. He was laying on his bed, looking at me. We decided to go back to his house after McDonald's and the boys were all at Alejandro's house, apart from Kairi.

"Huh? What happened?" I said.

"You were daydreaming for so long" he answered "come over here already". I walked over to the bed and wrapped my arms around him. He pulled me close and had one arm around me and had his phone in his spare hand.

"Wanna go Alejandro's?" he said, looking at Roshaun's story. They were having a pillow fight as usual, and it looked pretty fun.

"I guess" I said. I placed my head on Mattia's chest, and listened to his heartbeat. It was honestly my favourite place to be in the world.

"We don't have to go, you know" he said, playing with my hair.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I mean Kairi's not there either so I guess we can still chill here instead of going out" he suggested. I thought about Kairi. I felt bad for not greeting him when I saw him.

"I think I should go see Kairi" I said quickly. Mattia didn't flinch though, I thought he'd try to make me change my mind, or react in an annoyed way. But he was perfectly fine.

"Yeah you guys should probably talk" he said. I sat up to fix my hair and so did Mattia.

"Will you be gone for long?" he said, laying his head in my lap, and looking up into my eyes. The butterflies appeared in my stomach all over again. I smiled and finished my hair.

"Oh yeah I'll be gone for years" I said sarcastically, running my hands through his hair. He furrowed his brows and looked up at me.

"Don't say that, because I said I wouldn't lose you this time" he said.

"You know I'm playing with you baby" I leaned down and kissed him softly. He kissed me back and placed his hands on either side of my face. But I pulled away and he frowned.

"I don't want you to go" he whined as I got off the bed. I sighed and put my jacket on.

"I know baby, I have to clear the air with him" I said.

"I get it mami" he said, resting his head in his hands.

I kissed his cheek softly "thanks papi"

I left quickly and started heading to Kairi's house. I thought about the last time I was going to his place from Mattia's. I frowned as I remembered how excited I was to tell him I loved him, and how relieved he was to hear it. It broke my heart the way things had changed.

I knocked on his front door and his Mom answered.

"Elena! How are you honey?" She said, pulling me into a hug. I smiled and hugged her back.

"I'm good Mrs Cosentino, is Kairi home?" I asked.

"Just in his room" she invited me in, and I headed upstairs.

I walked across the landing and knocked on Kairi's door.

"Maiya I swear to god if that's you again I'm tel-"

I pushed the door open slowly and he stopped talking when he saw me, and he quickly stood up.

"Elena, wow hi, I was taking to Maiya sorry, I wasn't expecting you" he blurted out nervously.

I smiled and he slowed down what he was saying. 

"It's okay, don't worry, I just wanted to check up on you, but if now's not a good time, I can come back later?" I said. 

"No, stay" said Kairi, nervously running a hand through his hair. He patted the space next to him and I walked over to sit with him.

"So what did you wanna talk about?" he asked. I looked around nervously and wondered if this was the right time to talk about our relationship. Or whatever was left of it.

"It doesn't matter" I shrugged "I wanted to see how you were that's all"

"Elena" he said, placing his hand on mine. I frowned and looked up at him.

"Just because you might not be my girlfriend anymore, doesn't mean you can't talk to me" he said.

I give him a weak smile, but slowly pulled my hand away. He pressed his lips together and I spoke before the awkward silence started.

"That's what I wanted to talk about actually" I took a deep breath "what are we?"

He thought about it for a second and then he looked at the ground with his shoulders slouched.

"I mean, you and Mattia and clearly in love, and all we did was argue, at least you and Mattia have something special. I don't wanna get in the way of that" he said. It was almost like he was forcing his words out. It was painful.

"Well if that's what you want" I said quietly.

KAIRI'S POV:

Of course it wasn't what I wanted. But it was what I deserved.

"Honestly, it'll be better for both of us" I said. My phone started ringing on my dresser, and I quickly stood up to go decline the call.

"Yeah I guess you're right" she said, leaning back on my bed. She had her hand on my pillow and it sunk in deeper when she leaned backwards.

Oh no.

She felt something underneath and looked at me with a confused expression on her face.

"Don't" I said quickly. But it was too late, and she had already lifted the pillow and seen the bracelet I had originally bought her for Christmas. Her eyes lit up when she saw it, and she admired it in the palm of her hand.

"Kairi this is so beautiful" she said in awe. I didn't know what to say and blurted out the first thing that came into my head.

"It's for my girlfriend"