Chapter 67

ELENA'S POV:

Mattia and I both knew there was no escaping this. As much as it hurt, I had to move. The boys said they'd meet us at the diner in town. The same diner Kairi and I had our first date in. I was planning on meeting Vic after the guys, she deserved a good explanation on why she was about to lose her bestfriend for God knows how long. It was coming up to 4pm and I had to be back home for 7pm latest.

I headed upstairs to change and Mattia followed behind me. We got to my bedroom, and Mattia slumped down onto my bed, his hands in his lap, gaze fixated on the floor. I held my breath and walked over to the closet. The atmosphere was gloomy, but who was I kidding? There was nothing we had to be happy about.

I pulled out a black hoodie with black leggings. I changed quickly and walked over to Mattia. He was still looking at the floor, as if he was in some sort of trance. I stood between his legs and placed my hands on either side of his face. He looked up at me, and frowned.

"I'm sorry this is happening" I whispered, running my hands through his hair. But he didn't reply, and instead gently took my hand away from his face.

"Babe?" I said, he stood up and clutched his keys from my dresser.

"Lets just get this over with" he said, his voice shook as he spoke, and he walked out the room. My eyes filled with fresh tears but I closed my eyes tight and prayed they'd disappear. Luckily they did. I understood that this was difficult for Mattia, but I had feelings too.

I headed downstairs and got a jacket. I looked around for Mattia, but he was already in the car. With the key in the ignition. I swallowed and went over to the passenger side. He started driving us to the diner except his hands were both on the steering wheel. Instead of his left hand on my thigh. And for the first time, the silence between us was uncomfortable.

"Mattia?" I said, breaking the silence. He kept his eyes on the road and the expression on his face stayed the same.

"Hm?"

"Are you okay" I asked, looking over at him. I noticed he was fighting back his tears as he gripped onto the steering wheel; his knuckles slowly turning white.

"I'm fine" he said through gritted teeth. But every girl knows that 'fine' means anything but fine.

"Are you s-"

"I said I'm fine" he said loudly. I pressed my lips together and looked out the window. I felt my eyes heating up but I let the tears fall. I wiped them away quickly to make sure he didn't notice. It wasn't like he'd care anyway, would he?

We pulled up to the diner and saw the boys already inside at a table. Without saying anything, Mattia got out the car and headed inside. I watched him in disbelief and got out the car, slamming the door behind me. His head snapped back around, but I ignored him and walked swiftly past him. Thankfully, the boys didn't see our pathetic behaviour.

I walked over to their table and they all smiled at me.
I hugged them all one by one, holding on tightly. I got to Kairi and he smiled at me softly. I smiled with relief and hugged him. When I went to pull away, he held on for a second longer. I patted his shoulder and he pulled away with sad eyes. This wasn't going to be fun at all.

We ordered food and Mattia sat next to me. I placed my hand on his leg underneath the table, but I felt him tense up.

Forget it.

"So I hope you invited us to dinner to tell us your Dad changed his mind" said Alejandro hopefully. The rest of the boys nodded eagerly in agreement and looked at me for an answer.

I took a deep breath and tried to smile at them.

"I couldn't get out of it guys" I confessed, hanging my head almost in shame. Tears pricked my eyes and they immediately fell onto my hoodie.

"Heyy it'll be okay" said Robert as I wiped my tears. I shook my head much to their disappointment.

"It won't ever be okay. You guys mean the world to me, and I can't imagine how I'll cope without seeing your goofy ass faces everyday" I said, looking at them all as if they were my brothers. Alvaro wiped his eyes and so did Robert.

"Will you come back?" asked Roshaun. I hadn't even thought about coming back, but I didn't want to get their hopes up to only let them down.

"I don't know yet" I sighed. Mattia suddenly left the table and walked out the diner. I watched him as he left and went to sit in his car.

"I don't think he's taking it too well" said Kairi. I looked at him and an eyebrow.

"No shit Sherlock" said Alejandro, glaring at Kai who shrugged his shoulders.

Kairi got up and came to sit next to me. He wrapped his arm around me and I put my head on his shoulder. Ever since we cleared the air, I feel like we can finally chill without it being so awkward. And that's the way I wanted to leave it.

"I mean at least England has.." Alvaro's voice trailed off, and he looked down.

"Nothing" sighed Roshaun.

"England's nothing compared to New Jersey" said Roshaun. Alejandro nudged him and shot a dirty look at the boys.

"She already doesn't want to go and you guys are just making it worse for her" he said, causing them to frown.

The food came and we ate in a cold, unbearable silence. I'd never seen them so upset, and I hated that I was the reason for it. Robert had lost his little sparkle in his eyes, Alejandro and Alvaro had lost their infamous smiles, and Roshaun had lost his laugh which had always filled my heart with happiness.

And Kairi. He was my first love. He made me believe that true love was real, when your heart was in it. We had our differences, and he might've been a nightmare. But he was my nightmare.

"Thank you for everything guys" I said, unable to look at them.

"You have given me the best memories here, and I'll be thinking about you everyday till I'm back" I said, flashing them a smile. Tears ran down my cheeks and Alejandro asked the waiter for the bill.
Kairi gave me a hug and took a deep breath.

"So I have to admit something" he started.