Chapter 66

ELENA'S POV:

I didn't know what to expect. I was a bag of nerves, and was struggling to hold it together. Mattia's optimistic attitude was glowing, yet I stayed pessimistic about this whole idea of moving in.

"What's the question?" said Mom calmly. Mattia looked at me and bit his lip nervously.

"I want Elena to move in with me" he said bluntly. Mom looked at Mattia and I, and tilted her head.

"You two really are in love aren't you?" she said, giving us a sad smile.

"We are Ms Hill, and I promise I'll look after her, and I'll never let anything happen to us, and-"

"Okay okay Mattia I get it" said Mom, putting her hand up for him to stop.

"Look, I don't have any problem with you guys moving in" she confirmed. Mattia squeezed my hand in excitement, but I wasn't buying it.

"But?" I frowned.

"But, this is ultimately your Dad's decision, he's the one who wants to move to England, not me" she said. Mattia's nostrils flared and he pressed his lips together.

"If you don't want to move, then why are you going ahead with this? You guys are divorced, he literally has no power over you" I said, becoming frustrated.

Mom shrugged and we heard the front door open. She looked at Mattia nervously and shook her head, signalling for him not to make a big deal out of it. But there was no way he was letting her stop him.

Dad walked into the kitchen and smiled at us. I kept a blank expression on my face and Mattia looked down.

"Have you packed Elena?" he said, in a chirpy voice which made me roll my eyes.

"I'm not going" I said. It was about time I put my foot down with the man who abandoned me all through my childhood.

He sighed and came over to the table.

"We've been through this" he said, looking over at Mattia.

"What are you doing here?" he asked, causing Mattia to look at him in annoyance.

"I'm here cause I'm trying to stop you from doing something you'll regret" Mattia said bravely. I've never loved this boy more.

Dad narrowed his eyes at him.

"I'm moving in with Mattia" I announced, without looking at either Mom or Dad.

"No you're not, you're moving to England" argued Dad, standing up.

"I didn't ask, I'm telling you" I said, clenching my jaw. Dad flinched when I talked to him and looked at me in disbelief.

"She has her midterms coming up, it'd make sense for her to stay" said Mom quietly, causing Dad to shake his head.

"We're moving. That's final. Tonight" he said, his voice was shaking with rage because of how everyone was against him.

"Why can't you just listen to your family for once?" Mattia said, also standing up. I tugged on his arm to make him sit down but he shook me off.

"How dare you talk to me like that" hissed Dad, pointing his finger at Mattia. But he didn't let it phase him.

"No I don't give a fuck, you're forcing your daughter into something she doesn't want, you're being an arrogant son of a-"

"GET OUT!" screamed Dad. He was shaking with fury and his face had turned red. There were throbbing veins in his neck, but Mattia didn't move. Usually I would've been upset that he spoke to my Dad that way, but if he hadn't said it, I probably would've. At this point, Dad deserved everything coming for him.

Mattia came over to me and took my hand. I looked over at Mom and she nodded at me. I stood up and Mattia walked to the door.

"No" said Dad, rushing forward and pulling my hand out of Mattia's. I looked up at Mattia and he was looking at Dad.

"I just need you to get out" he said, pressing his finger into Mattias chest.

"Just let them go Hunter!" said Mom, slamming her fists on the table. We all looked over at her. Her eyes were wet and looking straight at Dad.

"Don't you think you've done enough damage here? Just let them be, you're fucking exhausting" she said. I felt a pang of guilt go off inside me, and realised this was all my fault. I invited him here. I started it all. My eyes welled up with tears, and I tried to blink them away. Mattia saw and took the opportunity.

"You made your own daughter and your wife cry. Good job" he said, taking my hand and leading us out into the hallway. As soon as we were out he closed the door and pulled me in. He held me tightly and I cried into his chest.

"Please don't cry baby" he whispered, kissing my head and wrapping his arms around my waist. But I couldn't stop. I didn't want to stop. I wanted to cry till it hurt. Till I couldn't feel anything anymore. This was all my fault. I felt Mattia's tears fall onto my head and held onto him tighter.

"C-call the boys Mattia, I need to say goodbye"

"Okay" he said, his voice cracking.

I guess there really was no escape from this nightmare we called life.

A/N: thank you for 10K! I can't believe we've hit this number so quick. I am so extremely thankful for all of you who read my story, I hope you're enjoying it as much as I love writing it, I love you all 💛