Chapter 76

ELENA'S POV:

Mom had picked me up shortly after I called her. She had left work early too since she was struggling to adapt to our new lifestyle. I couldn't tell her about Jackson, cause she only thought we'd broke up, just like everyone else. Except Kairi.

We got home and I looked at my phone. There was a missed call from Mattia, and I figured I'd call him back later since he'd probably be in school right now. I walked into the living room to find Mom scrolling through her phone. I took a breath and sat opposite her, holding my phone tightly.

"Mom I need your attention"

She looked at me and turned off her phone. I bit my lip nervously and she nodded for me to continue.

"I need to go back to New Jersey" I said. She closed her eyes and massaged her temples. There was a long silence until she leaned forward.

"What am I meant to tell Hunter?" she said slowly. My stomach jumped over the fact that she hadn't rejected my idea yet. 

"Tell him I've gone on a trip with school for a week" I said quickly before she could change her mind. She laughed to herself and shook her head.

"You're crazy, go pack your shit"

I screamed in excitement and ran over to hug her. She wrapped her arms around me and stroked my hair gently.

"You better stay safe over there mija"

"I promise I will" I said, kissing her head. I stood up and disappeared upstairs to pack. I opened my wardrobe and took out some of Mattia's hoodies and any other generic clothes I'd wear. I did everything as quickly as I could and went back downstairs to see Mom looking through the keys.

"Here" she said, placing the key to our house in New Jersey in my hand.

"In case you wanna go see your actual home, even though I'm sure you'll be staying at Mattia's place" she said, flashing me a smile. I felt my cheeks heat up and hugged her again.

"Ready to go?" she said, clutching the car keys in her hand. I nodded and held onto the handle of my suitcase. I was full of excitement, and all I could think about was finally being back in Mattia's arms.

We got to the airport and parked at terminal 3. Mom had booked my ticket for me and since it was last minute I had an hour to get through security and reach the gate. She kissed my cheek and I got out the car.

"I love you!" she called after me, and I turned around and blew her a kiss before walking into the airport.

I got through security, without forgetting Kairi's bracelet this time, and made it to my gate in one piece. I faced forward and saw the people sat opposite me. There was a family of 5, complete with 5 little suitcases. The parents were busy trying to control the younger twins who looked like they were toddlers, and the eldest girl was sat a seat away from them, with her headphones on and her gaze fixated on the little screen in front of her. I heard our flight number being called and started walking towards the gate. I recognised the air hostess who was checking passports and she gave me the same, energetic smile as she did before.

"Going back so soon?" she chirped loudly, causing people to look our way. I cringed inside but forced a smile and nodded quickly. To say I was embarrassed would be an understatement.

I got on the plane and searched for my seat quickly. I had a window seat and when I found it I saw someone was already sat it in it. It was the little girl with the headphones I'd seen earlier.

"Excuse me?" I said, but she didn't notice me because of her headphones. I tapped her shoulder gently and she finally looked up at me, taking her headphones off.

"I think you might be in my seat" I said, pointing at the letter on my ticket. She rolled her eyes and moved over to the middle seat instead. This was gonna be the longest 8 hours of my life.

Once we were safely in the sky, I was looking through pictures of the boys and I. I saw one of Vic and started smiling till my cheeks hurt, I couldn't wait to see her again.

"Oh my god you know Alejandro Rosario?" I heard a voice say. I turned and saw the little girl peering at my phone. I quickly put my phone to my chest and looked at her eager eyes.

"Uh yeah, we're friends" I answered, praying she wouldn't figure out Mattia and I were dating. She nodded slowly and kept looking at my phone.

"So could you like let me meet them?"

What was I supposed to say to that? I can't take a random kid with me to see the boys when she has a whole family with her.

"Oh actually we're not that close, I don't talk to them that often" I laughed nervously. Before she could say anything else, I put my earphones in and closed my eyes. I put the volume on full and slept for the rest of the flight.

We landed in New Jersey and it was coming up to 7pm. I was thinking about calling Mattia to pick me up, but then I decided I'd rather it were a surprise. So I called an Uber which came quick enough. I entered my address into the GPS and we headed home. As we drove through downtown New Jersey, I looked out at the city. After spending a week and a half in England, I had almost forgotten how beautiful my home was, how the skyscrapers all stood proudly against the night sky. I never wanted to leave here again, I started to wish I'd booked a one way ticket instead.

I got to my house and took all my luggage inside. My bedroom was still the exact way I left it, and I collapsed onto my bed. The familiar scent of home took over my lungs, and I couldn't stop smiling. I was finally content.

And now, there was only one person I had to see in order for this day to be complete.