Chapter 73

ELENA'S POV:

My alarm went off at 6:30am but I was already awake. I hadn't slept a wink all night because my body was still adapting to England time. And also the fact that I was hella nervous to start this school. I turned my phone off and slowly got out of bed. The bathroom was across the hall now instead of connected to my bedroom. Roshaun was right. England's nothing compared to New Jersey. I picked up the leaflet the school had sent me on my way to the bathroom.

The bathroom was so small. I looked up and there were cobwebs in the corners of the ceiling. I shuddered and proceeded to turn the tap on. The icy water trickled down my toothbrush and onto my skin.

I looked at the leaflet as I brushed my teeth. It was called "The West London Academy". It sounded so professional, and even the picture made me flinch. The building looked like it was over 500 years old, accompanied by students stood outside of it. They were dressed in the uniform and looked so prestige. The toothy smiles plastered on their faces were clearly fake, and if anything it all just made me miss Valley High even more. I finished washing my face and looked at my reflection in the little square mirror above the sink. My eyes were still puffy since I've been crying myself to sleep every night since we got here. I splashed some cold water underneath my eyes, hoping the redness would soon fade away. Just like my happiness did.

I don't belong here.

I got dressed and went over to my suitcase. I still hadn't unpacked anything since I was so convinced that I'd be going home soon. I wasn't in any rush to settle down here. I took out my makeup bag and opened the camera on my phone. This ratchet ass room didn't even have a mirror, and the one in the bathroom was too small. I shook my head and started applying my concealer. I followed through with mascara and my chapstick. I kept with the bare minimum since it was all about first impressions.
I shut my eyes tight as my breathing quickened, causing my anxiety to appear. The idea of everyone hating me, or having to eat my lunch in the bathroom came back. Fuck. I don't wanna be that girl again. The quiet, isolated Elena. The girl who always sits in the back corner with her hood up. The girl I was before I met Kairi.

The social reject.

I needed Mattia. If not Mattia, at least one of the boys, or at least Vic. I needed Robert. I needed Alvaro and Roshaun, I needed Kairi. How was I meant to face today without them? I felt so lost, and there was nothing that could possibly make me feel any better.

Just then, there was a knock on my door which snapped me out of my thoughts. I put my makeup away and turned off my phone, as Mom entered.

"Morning honey, ready for school?" she said. There was a hint of nervousness in her voice, since she was also starting her new job as an accountant today. I slowly nodded and stood up, brushing down my uniform with my hands.

"As ready as I'll ever be" I sighed. She looked at me sympathetically and came over to kiss my head.

"Have you spoken to Mattia this morning?" she asked, but I shook my head.

"I'll call him after school" I decided, going to pick up my bag. She nodded quickly and ushered me out of the room. I'd lost my appetite and decided to skip breakfast, much to Mom's disappointment.

We got in the car and started driving. Dad had left early so I didn't see much of him. Not that it mattered. The rain from last night was still ongoing, and didn't show any signs of stopping. I clutched onto my bag as we shortly reached the school. Mom placed her hand on my shoulder and I turned to look at her.

"Deep breaths Elena" she looked at me worriedly. But the last thing I wanted to do was stress her out even more. So I gave her a reassuring smile, despite the face that I wanted to die inside.

"I'm good Ma" I said, leaning over to kiss her cheek. She smiled back at me and I opened the door and got out. I watched the car as it drove away and then turned around to see my new school. I was immediately overwhelmed by the hundreds of student infront of me. I saw more boys than girls but then I noticed the huge groups of girls by each of the corners of the entrance. They were huddled together in their friend groups, all talking amongst each other. The boys were either playing soccer or talking to the girls.

I held tightly onto my backpack and made my way to the entrance. I took deep breaths with each step and tried to avoid making eye contact with anyone. I managed to make it to the front desk and the lady smiled at me.

"How can I help, love?" she said, adjusting her glasses. Her accent made her sound confident, I guess British accents had that effect on us Americans.

"I-I'm new here" I stammered. I felt my cheeks heat up after I'd finally got my words out. Why was this so difficult for me?

She let out a small, excited gasp and went back to her computer. She typed aggressively, as though she was desperately trying to find out what I was doing here. Even I'd love to know the answer to that.

"Ah yes Elena Hill, am I right?"

"Yes" I said quietly, and she clasped her hands together and stood up.

"We have a tour guide ready for you, follow me" she said vibrantly. But her optimistic attitude didn't rub off on me, since I kept my mouth shut as I followed her through the long corridors.

"We thought it would only be best for you to be welcomed here by someone who'll be in all your classes, that way it's easier to make friends" she turned back to me and I quickly nodded in agreement. We entered a classroom and the lady opened the door.

"And this is the student you'll be spending most of your time with today" she exclaimed. I walked in and set my eyes down on the student.

My heart stopped.