Chapter 71

ELENA'S POV:

I walked downstairs with my two suitcases. Anything I left here was going to be sent later. I looked around and took in everything. The strange cracks in the stairs, the pale stains against the white wall. All the little things I'd never really noticed before. I stared at the shoe rack next to the stairs. It would always have my shoes on the top row and Mom's on the bottom. But now it was completely empty. Everything was empty. The cosy, warm feeling this house once had was being replaced with emptiness. I sighed and set down my luggage on the cold laminate.

"Elena!" called Dad from outside. I rolled my eyes and opened the door. He was stood next to his car and was piling everything in. He beckoned me over and I picked up my things.

"Aren't you excited?" he said, taking my suitcase and piling it on top of the rest. I ignored him and went to sit in the car. I put my seatbelt on and looked outside the window. It was getting pretty dark and the stars were starting to appear. I closed my eyes and wished with my whole heart that I'd be back in Jersey soon. That I'd be back home, safe in Mattia's arms.

I saw Mom rushing out the house with her luggage and handing it to Dad. She dug her hands into the pocket of her coat and took out a bunch of keys. Without even hesitating, she locked our front door and returned the keys to her pocket. She looked at the front door and frowned. Neither of us wanted this.

"Honey lets go" said Dad, getting in the car. He turned to look at me and gave me a pitiful smile.

"I know this is hard for you but-"

"You don't know anything, and stop acting as if you care because if you cared, you wouldn't be dragging me away from the one place I love" I interrupted. I wasn't here for any of the bullshit, I just wanted to run to Mattia's house, away from everything and everyone.

He sighed and started the engine. Mom got in the car and we started driving. The whole ride was silent and the only noise was coming from the radio, but even that was draining me.

We got to the airport and went through security. I carefully removed the silver bracelet Kairi had given me and placed it in the trays. Then the loudspeaker went off.

"Flight 44 to London, England is boarding"

"Shit" said Dad, and he quickly grabbed everything in the trays and took his carry on luggage. Mom and I followed suit and we headed towards the gate. The flight lady then looked at the computer in confusion.

"Ladies and Gentleman, I apologise. There has been a misunderstanding about the flight times and    Flight 44 won't be boarding for another 10 minutes" she announced. A wave of annoyed sighs and groans went around the room. I looked down at my hands. Wait. Kairi's bracelet. I felt my heart stop and stood up.

"Baby what's wrong?" said Mom, also standing up. Dad rolled his eyes and turned on his phone.

"K-Kairi's bracelet, I forgot it in security" I whimpered, my eyes filling with tears. Mom took my hand and started rushing us back to security. We saw an officer examining it with lustful eyes. Mom marched over to him and plucked it from his grasp.

"That's mine" she said, sticking her nose in the air. He looked at her with a puzzled expression on his face, but then quickly nodded.

"Of course, enjoy your flight Ma'am" he cleared his throat and fake smiled at Mom. She rolled her eyes and came over to me.

"Give me your wrist sweetie" she said, carefully placing it on my wrist and securing the clasp.

"I promise we'll be back in Jersey before you know it" she said, wiping my eyes. I smiled at her and we made our way back to the gate. I took my seat next to Mom and turned on my phone. There were a lot of messages, mostly from people saying goodbye. I sighed and scrolled past them. I was all cried out.
Then I saw Mattia's name appear.

Mattia❤️: Baby you left your lip gloss at my place

I smiled and remembered leaving it on purpose.

"It was the watermelon one" I thought aloud.

"Hm?" said Mom, looking up from her phone. I shook my head, and went to text him back with a grin of my face.

Me: I wanted to leave you something since I've taken all your hoodies

But my smile soon disappeared when I heard our flight was boarding. Mom & Dad stood up and I texted Mattia quickly.

Me: We're taking off soon Amor, I'll text you when we land, I love you forever 💕

Mattia❤️: I love you more babygirl 💕

I frowned and handed the air hostess my passport. She gave me a vibrant smile, it reminded me of Vic.
I felt my chest get heavy and made my way into the plane, trailing behind my parents. We found our seats and I took the window. Mom sat next to me and Dad was on the end.

"Good Evening everyone, I'll be your pilot on this 8 hour flight to England. My name is Captain Johnson" boomed the voice through the tannoy. I didn't hear the rest of what he said cause I was too busy staring at New Jersey. We were still on the ground but I could faintly make out the buildings in the distance. I leaned on my hand and felt my eyes heating up. I would give anything to stay here. I took a deep breath as we circled around the runway.

We started the take off and I watched as we became further and further away from Jersey. A tear fell from my eyes as I realised I didn't even know when I'd see Mattia next.

I guess I wasn't all cried out.